Noise problem with my PSU

Ed96win
Go to solution Solved by Spotty,
5 minutes ago, Ed96win said:

I'm sure that the sound is something electrical (so not a fan or etc) as its volume goes up and down in paralell with framerates.

From what you have described here, it is most likely what is known as "Coil Whine".

at first, I though it the PSU is faulty and sent it back for replacement, after a few days; I got the replacement part (same model, obviously) and the funny thing is that the same problem occured with this new one as well.

Is it definitely coming from the PSU and not something else, such as the motherboard (in particular around the CPU area)?
If it's the PSU and the replacement PSU is also giving you the problem then send it back again and complain to Cooler Master. Or if you can get a refund on the unit and buy something else.

6 minutes ago, Ed96win said:

does it need a PSU with a power rate more than 450W?

No. Your system without a graphics card will consume less than 100W under load.

Hi. I have a budget gaming build sitting on my desk. (Ryzen 5 2400G - 16GB 2400MHz DDR4 - No graphics card - MoBo ASUS Prime B450M-A - PSU CoolerMaster MWE Bronze 450W)

so it makes a strange noise under load (specifically graphics load, likes games or benchmarks) that comes directly out of the PSU. (when the system is idle it doesn't make any sound.)

I'm sure that the sound is something electrical (so not a fan or etc) as its volume goes up and down in paralell with framerates.

at first, I though it the PSU is faulty and sent it back for replacement, after a few days; I got the replacement part (same model, obviously) and the funny thing is that the same problem occured with this new one as well.

what am I looking at? is something wrong with the other parts? (everything is new, and doesn't matter if the system is overclocked or on stock settings).

My system has no RGB lightings or special cooling kit YET (rocking wraith spire). I only have one 5.4 HDD and a Sata SSD. does it need a PSU with a power rate more than 450W? while I'm having the problem of hearing this sound, there are no obvious power-related problems in the system even at full load (no shutdowns, reboots, artifacts, etc).

thank you in advance for your advices.

sounds like coil whine

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

Just now, Cyracus said:

sounds like coil whine

Indeed it is. but, why?

From what you have described here, it is most likely what is known as "Coil Whine".

Is it definitely coming from the PSU and not something else, such as the motherboard (in particular around the CPU area)?
If it's the PSU and the replacement PSU is also giving you the problem then send it back again and complain to Cooler Master. Or if you can get a refund on the unit and buy something else.

does it need a PSU with a power rate more than 450W?

No. Your system without a graphics card will consume less than 100W under load.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Its not a good PSU. So coilwhine isnt exactly suprising. 

Might want to look at a bequiet pure power 10/11 400w. Tho some coilwine is allways liveable.

5 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Its not a good PSU. So coilwhine isnt exactly suprising. 

Might want to look at a bequiet pure power 10/11 400w. Tho some coilwine is allways liveable.

The sound, yes, I can live with that. (I'm always wearing headphones while working anyway).

the only thing that I'm concerned about is that if this problem and whatever the source is (in my case PSU) is gonna possibly harm/fry anything.

2 minutes ago, Ed96win said:

The sound, yes, I can live with that. (I'm always wearing headphones while working anyway).

the only thing that I'm concerned about is that if this problem and whatever the source is (in my case PSU) is gonna possibly harm/fry anything.

Coil whine itself is essentially harmless. The only problem it causes is the high pitched whining you have to listen to. You'll have to decide whether or not you can tolerate the noise or if you want to return it and swap it for a different unit.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

It will be fine. Its not a great PSU, so if you ever decide to put more into your system (as in a moderatly powerhungry GPU) id suggest swapping

Ok. I got it replaced with a 550W of the same mwe series and the issue seems to be (or rather sounds to be ?) resolved. I noticed a slight change in Bios voltage readings.

this is now:

with the previous PSU

12V was something like 11.952, 5V was like: 4.955

is it the new unit that's overpowering the rails or the previous PSU was really faulty?

c9690891-2c5f-4a86-9d2f-e400a375b355.jpg

13 minutes ago, Ed96win said:

with the previous PSU

12V was something like 11.952, 5V was like: 4.955

is it the new unit that's overpowering the rails or the previous PSU was really faulty?

Motherboard voltage readings aren't perfectly accurate. You're never going to see perfect 12.00V, 5.00V, 3.33V. Those values are all perfectly reasonable and within expected range.

Glad to hear that a new unit fixed the coil whine.