4k monitor recommendations?

Mihle

I want a 4k monitor, bit I am not sure what to get.

I do gaming, watching videos/series/movies, and some hobbyist video/photography. So TN is not an option.

800€ is total maximum, lower would be better tho.

(Also considering getting one of those sub 150€ colour calibrators, but not sure)

I am not sure about 32" or 27" I don't know if 32" would be uncomfortable large at the normal viewing distance, that is 60 cm sitting normally, less if I lean slightly forward (I do that sometimes in gaming, not usually tho).

I have problems orientating in the jungle of monitors with really a lack of signs (reviews and comparisons) to point directions compared to other categories in computer and tech.

Any recommendations or things I should stay away from?

I can post a list of monitors I have come down to, that people can at least exclude stuff from if anyone want that.

(I generally have hard time just picking something on random or whatever)

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

19 minutes ago, Mihle said:

I want a 4k monitor, bit I am not sure what to get.

I do gaming, watching videos/series/movies, and some hobbyist video/photography. So TN is not an option.

800€ is total maximum, lower would be better tho.

(Also considering getting one of those sub 150€ colour calibrators, but not sure)

I am not sure about 32" or 27" I don't know if 32" would be uncomfortable large at the normal viewing distance, that is 60 cm sitting normally, less if I lean slightly forward (I do that sometimes in gaming, not usually tho).

I have problems orientating in the jungle of monitors with really a lack of signs (reviews and comparisons) to point directions compared to other categories in computer and tech.

Any recommendations or things I should stay away from?

I can post a list of monitors I have come down to, that people can at least exclude stuff from if anyone want that.

(I generally have hard time just picking something on random or whatever)

I am assuming you want to use 4k on the desktop and 1080p for games ? 

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

3 hours ago, Turtle Rig said:

I am assuming you want to use 4k on the desktop and 1080p for games ? 

Well, I won't game in 4k (exept some easy to ruin games) bit will ofc doo everything else I can in 4k

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 

-Stephen Hawking

Yes that is why I said 4k on desktop and 1080p for games or 1440p which one ?

Also what are you uses besides gaming and basic desktop stuff ?

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

2 hours ago, Turtle Rig said:

Yes that is why I said 4k on desktop and 1080p for games or 1440p which one ?

Also what are you uses besides gaming and basic desktop stuff ?

Read OP.

I want to know so we either get you a HT CPU or just 8 core 8 thread since gaming doesn't have HT and what not.

I am not looking for a computer, I am looking for a monitor....

-Stephen Hawking

14 hours ago, Mihle said:

This is a personal question that you need to figure out. Honestly at 60cm away I think I'd have a hard time reading normal sized text on a 27" 4k monitor. 27" is also far more of a 1440p size. Are there any electronics stores near you with displays that you can try out?

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

26 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

This is a personal question that you need to figure out. Honestly at 60cm away I think I'd have a hard time reading normal sized text on a 27" 4k monitor. 27" is also far more of a 1440p size. Are there any electronics stores near you with displays that you can try out?

Well, there is but I bet they probably not have monitors in all sizes, if they have monitors for display at all. Maybe I should check it out tho.....

-Stephen Hawking

9 hours ago, Mihle said:

Well, there is but I bet they probably not have monitors in all sizes, if they have monitors for display at all. Maybe I should check it out tho.....

Well 32" is a pretty common size. Just stand 60cm away and see if you can comfortably view everything on screen.

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

19 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

Well 32" is a pretty common size. Just stand 60cm away and see if you can comfortably view everything on screen.

I went to one. The only thing I am sure about is that 32" is not too big and 27" is not too small, so still don't really know what to take.

But almost all 32" seem to be VA (unless I go closer to the 800€ or above it) while almost all 27" seem to be IPS.

Internet is filled with people that says VA have darker blacks, but worse colour accuracy and have much worse ghosting than IPS... So I start to think I should not get that, and if it is, I have to go 27" or go to around top of my budget.... But I don't know if that's not true anymore with newer monitors or if it is still true or whatever, or if it depends on the monitor.

-Stephen Hawking

6 hours ago, Mihle said:

I went to one. The only thing I am sure about is that 32" is not too big and 27" is not too small, so still don't really know what to take.

But almost all 32" seem to be VA (unless I go closer to the 800€ or above it) while almost all 27" seem to be IPS.

Internet is filled with people that says VA have darker blacks, but worse colour accuracy and have much worse ghosting than IPS... So I start to think I should not get that, and if it is, I have to go 27" or go to around top of my budget.... But I don't know if that's not true anymore with newer monitors or if it is still true or whatever, or if it depends on the monitor.

Since you're doing image editing, I'd suggest the BenQ PD2700U. Check the price in your region. It's a relatively affordable 4K IPS production monitor.

Edited by LogicalDrm
Cleaning removed content.

2 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

Since you're doing image editing, I'd suggest the BenQ PD2700U. Check the price in your region. It's a relatively affordable 4K IPS production monitor.

Any spesific reason why that one and not LG 27UK650 or Dell U2718Q or some Acer/Phillips ones? Just wonder what your reason for that spesific one.

Btw with photos I am just a hobbyist and nothing more, and never will be. I don't do it THAT much, I spend more time gaming but photos is sport of prioritized I think.

-Stephen Hawking

1 hour ago, Mihle said:

Any spesific reason why that one and not LG 27UK650 or Dell U2718Q or some Acer/Phillips ones? Just wonder what your reason for that spesific one.

Btw with photos I am just a hobbyist and nothing more, and never will be. I don't do it THAT much, I spend more time gaming but photos is sport of prioritized I think.

For the full color gamut. Considering you were talking about spending money on a calibration tool, and the emphasis you put on TN not being an option, I figured you were very serious about the color accuracy.

If you're interested in gaming more than photography, I'd definitely recommend the LG model. It's got FreeSync, which will help since you probably won't be hitting a solid 60fps at 4K unless you have a top of the line computer.