Building a server for my work, But close to no experience. Need help

Go to solution Solved by Electronics Wizardy,
Just now, TheCyberParable said:

Ok so read up on it.
so step 1 i get windows on the server.
download a Type 2 hypervisor software.
Create 2 vm's. download windows on each. so 1 for each server hosted.

Its for a school i work on, its just for fun / the gaming class. so wont matter if it goes down, just that its works and is reliable so i dont need to host on my own pc and lose perfomance.

Got any video or anything thats an eazy setup guide?

Id run a hypervisor on the system, not windows, so something like esxi, hyper-v, proxmox or one of the others.

Id use linux for the vms if you can, is  free, and often faster. Id only use windows if the game server only run on windows.

Ok Iv been tasked with creating a dedicated server for my work, to run stuff like minecraft servers and other game servers (prefrebly something like minecraft and ark at the same time). But i have no clue on what programs / OS i need to use. I know all the stuff of setting up a server on a windows pc. Stuff like Port forwarding and manageing it.
So the question is, what do i need to know to create one.
One guy have said i could buy a NAS and just download windows on it and use it like a pc to run the server. But im unsure if its reliable / gives performance.
Another said buy an old pc used pc.

Also debating if i can buy an used Dell PowerEdge T410 that a guy used as a plex mediaserver. In theory the specs are good but im unsure if its something spessial for servers.
64 GB RAM (4x16GB PC3-12800 DDR3-1600MHz ECC Registered)
2x Xeon E5630

2x 2TB disk
Intel 330 series 120GB SATA3 6Gb/s ssd

Appreciate any tips or builds you guys have

How many players? How important is this server. If its just for run that t410 should work finere here.

Id probably run a hypervisor on it, then a vm per server. Makes it easier to manage and more secure.

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

How many players? How important is this server. If its just for run that t410 should work finere here.

Id probably run a hypervisor on it, then a vm per server. Makes it easier to manage and more secure.

Well could be 5, could be 80. Guessing 20 at the most but 16GB ran can even hold that. Unsure what you mean with importance.

Ill read up on hypervisor now :P Know a little about vm's. But the thing is with that. How eazy is it to manage still.

Well could be 5, could be 80. Guessing 20 at the most but 16GB ran can even hold that. Unsure what you mean with importance.

Ill read up on hypervisor now :P Know a little about vm's. But the thing is with that. How eazy is it to manage still.

its pretty easy to manage with vms. Its like having multiple computers, nothing super special

importance was my way of saying how important is uptime? if your losing money when the servers go down, id probably get something newer.

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

its pretty easy to manage with vms. Its like having multiple computers, nothing super special

importance was my way of saying how important is uptime? if your losing money when the servers go down, id probably get something newer.

Ok so read up on it.

Its for a school i work on, its just for fun / the gaming class. so wont matter if it goes down, just that its works and is reliable so i dont need to host on my own pc and lose perfomance.

Ok so read up on it.

Id run a hypervisor on the system, not windows, so something like esxi, hyper-v, proxmox or one of the others.

Id use linux for the vms if you can, is  free, and often faster. Id only use windows if the game server only run on windows.