Video Idea : Raspberry PI 4B as a file server

Chronigan

Hello All,

I have been wanting to build a home media/file/backup server for a while now, but have always been put off by the cost. However the Raspberry PI 4B seems like it, partnered with a 5 or 6 bay external storage device might make an affordable device for someone like me, But I have several questions, which os would be best to use, One Media Vault, FreeNas, or some other os? Which file system btrfs zfs or simply raid? What sort of read and write speeds can I expect and how many simultaneous users would such a device be able to reliably support?

I would really appreciate an LTT video with the answers to these questions before I go and spend my money on the hardware.

They're pretty popular for file servers, but if you're looking at several bays and many terabytes, I would recommend looking at "prebuilt" solutions. At the end of it all, you're going to be limited by the Pi's USB bandwidth, network, and limited processing power. I know there are several reviews of the other Pis for these projects, I'd imagine there are some for the 4 as well. 

I attached a couple USB HDDs to my Pi 2 running Raspian for awhile, just for movies and some other work, I never had any issues. That is however much lighter work than multiple people accessing larger volumes at once. 

I'd like a LTT discussion on it, but the video market for it is pretty saturated already tbh.

_/ V\
                  / /  /
                <<    |
                ,/    ]
              ,/      ]
            ,/        |
           /    \  \ /
          /      | | |
    ______|   __/_/| |
   /_______\______}\__}  

Spoiler

[i7-7700k@5Ghz | MSI Z270 M7 | 16GB 3000 GEIL EVOX | STRIX ROG 1060 OC 6G | EVGA G2 650W | ROSEWILL B2 SPIRIT | SANDISK 256GB M2 | 4x 1TB Seagate Barracudas RAID 10 ]

[i3-4360 | mini-itx potato | 4gb DDR3-1600 | 8tb wd red | 250gb seagate| Debian 9 ]

[Dell Inspiron 15 5567] 

Hey I just installed openmediavault on my raspberrypi 4.

I added 2 2TB WD drives to a USB 3.0 hub w/power supply then created a RAID 1 between them. 

I'm getting 110MB write and 120MB read on ethernet connection with large files.

I am really impressed to be honest.

Barely any CPU usage while transferring files.

3 hours ago, Chronigan said:

Hello All,

I have been wanting to build a home media/file/backup server for a while now, but have always been put off by the cost. However the Raspberry PI 4B seems like it, partnered with a 5 or 6 bay external storage device might make an affordable device for someone like me, But I have several questions, which os would be best to use, One Media Vault, FreeNas, or some other os? Which file system btrfs zfs or simply raid? What sort of read and write speeds can I expect and how many simultaneous users would such a device be able to reliably support?

I would really appreciate an LTT video with the answers to these questions before I go and spend my money on the hardware.

1) FreeNAS has no Raspberry Pi version, OMV is the only choice

2) RAID isn't a filesystem

3) OMV supports EXT3 & 4, BtrFS and ZFS, what you use depends on what you need

4) 100base Speeds or ~100MB/s assuming you use USB3

5) Depends on what files. Mine can easily do 3 simultaneous 1080p streams, never tried more than that. It also easily handles X265/HEVC stuff and for X264 content I'd say you'll max the network before the CPU, watching an X264 video doesn't even register on the CPU monitor.

The only issue I encountered was my drive not sleeping (I chose to do 1 big drive rather than multiple small ones), this was easily fixed using an app called hd-idle. OMV doesn't have great support for power managing external drives.

A few extra things, install OMV Extras and you'll get the option to install an excellent DNLA server for serving your media files, a bit torrent client, an Airport sharing server for macOS, a PXE boot server and TFTP server for network booting, a DHCP server, an OpenVPN client and much much more besides.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)