Question: Will a quad-core processor with hyper-threading be better than a hexa-core processor with the same frequency in running editing software?

So i was planning to upgrade my cpu, I did some research and found Intel i5-9400f processor, it has 6 core and no hyper threading it is very cheap for a 9th gen processor, so that made me wonder what made it so cheap and will it run better than processor with quad core hyperthreading.

no real reason to get that when you can get a Ryzen 3 chip. the Intel I5 is dead tbh. Anyway to answer your question, it depends but its more of a sidegrade than an upgrade

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Ryzen 5 3600. I think that answers your question.

If you have a intel board, then well..your options are limited. 9400f to me only makes sense if you are esports gaming, everything else sucks hard due to those lack of threads. It is the best budget choice on the intel side, as the 9600k is pretty much the same thing really just with higher frequency. To be honest, I wouldn't be going any lower than a 9700k for non-gaming tasks, otherwise AMD is always better at the low end for that sort of thing.

If you can, a 3600 will be FAR better in editing. As the person above said, i5's are dead cause the 3600 slayed them all.

6 cores have shown to be at least as good as a quad core with HT or better in every case, so the 6 core is better. However

processor with the same frequency

Note that the frequency isn't all that matters if you're comparing CPUs of very different generations because instructions per clock matters too

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Just now, Fasauceome said:

6 cores have shown to be at least as good as a quad core with HT or better in every case, so the 6 core is better. However

Note that the frequency isn't all that matters if you're comparing CPUs of very different generations because instructions per clock matters too

Especially as some CPUs now only boost 1 or 2 of those cores. :/

Hyper threading / SMT usually gives a 30% boost (in average, as it can give slightly more or considerably less)

6 cores vs 4 cores is a 50% boost => it wins

Note that CPUs with "same frequency" don't necessarily have same performance.

A CPU with a given frequency but recent architecture / high IPC might outperform another low end CPU with higher frequency.

8 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

what do you mean by instruction per cycle? i'm fairly new to these kind of stuff...

2 minutes ago, Desmond20012 said:

what do you mean by instruction per cycle? i'm fairly new to these kind of stuff...

Clock cycles, measured in gigahertz, measure how often the CPU can do stuff by carrying out instructions. each of those clock cycles has an amount of instructions that it can complete. a really old processor might have a large amount of clock cycles, but all of those clock cycles might not be able to complete as many instructions as a modern processor which has a slightly lower clock speed but has many instructions per clock.

There are also different instruction sets, so when you are comparing processors from different companies like AMD versus Intel, that also creates another Gap in the performance metrics.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

3 minutes ago, Desmond20012 said:

It's basically how much instructions the CPU process every 1Hz, 1GHz=1 Billion Hz

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

Price to price point, the i5 9400f is close to a Ryzen 5 2600x. But if you can budgets for a bit more, the R5 3600 should be more performance, as AMD is doing really well with their chips.