Where do I buy used parts?

I've been trying to make a computer but buying all new for me is not an option.

I know there is ebay and craigslist but is anything other than this that you use?

Also how are your experiences with ebay and craigslists? Good or bad?

aliexpress, taobao if you can deal with 3rd party forwarders.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

6 minutes ago, unevendaxter said:

I know there is ebay and craigslist but is anything other than this that you use?

eBay protects the buyer well.   Craigslist got me a used PC I made double my money back on.

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

I've always had great luck selling/buying computer stuff off craigslist, it's usually filled with garbage overpriced stuff but every once in a while someone who's actually serious about selling something will post something at an acceptable price.

Thrift store and garage sale finds are harder but every once in a while you'll find some really insane deals.

Just now, Princess Twilight Sparkle said:

I've had good experiences with Ebay.

yeah im gonna buy a 750 ti for only 70 bucks canadian

Ebay can be great, but be on the cautious side. Helped my brother buy a used Asus ROG Strix RX 470 for cheap, but had to rebios flash it since it had a modifed bios that caused driver errors from mining. Easily fixed, but to the unknowledgable could be a game-ending issue.

1 hour ago, unevendaxter said:

Use eBay or Craigslist if you need less-specific item. eg "I need an B450 Motherboard" , as they're good places to pick up stuff people don't want.

Keep in mind there's a lot of risk if you order new stuff from eBay just like anything else. Make sure that if you are ordering previously loved components that you get a photo of the item before bidding/buying. This is because eBay sellers have a penchant for showing photos of new items with used equipment, and that's unfortunately a good way to get a counterfeit/remarked item.

If you are willing to risk it, you can order stuff from aliexpress/taobao, but keep in mind that again, like eBay, there is a risk of getting counterfeit/remarked items as well.

MuroBBS and Tori.fi mainly. One being local PC enthusiast forum and other equivalent to Craigslist. I also time to time go to local equivalent of Best Buy to see their Outlet section (returns) or local recycling centers. The outlet for example had pretty nice collection of pieces to make Ryzen 3 PC with maybe -25% and still having 6mo to 1 year warranty on all parts.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I've purchased a lot of computer parts off eBay, and as mentioned above the buyer protections are better than many other places. My recommendation would be to get on eBay and check the motherboard and processor combo section, in years passed I've scored some decent deals on older Dell platform stuff. A few years back I picked up a Phenom x6 1035t with a Dell motherboard, and 4gb of ram for $62 shipped. I got an itx H81 and i5-4570 separately last year for an HTPC for roughly $90 shipped. Just keep an eye out, there's really good used stuff to be found on eBay.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

I've never had a good experience with Craigslist. The selection is shit, and the website looks like something sketchy from a decade ago.

If you live in Canada, Kijiji is amazing.

Also, fuck Letgo and most of the people who use it. I'd rather sell something on Kijiji and it take twice as long than sell it the day of posting it on Letgo. The people on there are retarded, I swear.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

craigslist, kijiji, ebay, taobao, alibaba, aliexpress, used.ca, facebook marketplace, flea market (if you're in canada), and theres so much more

With Great Power, Comes a Great Electricity Bill

Main

Setup: Intel core i5-8400 (OC'd), MSI Z-370-A Pro, Crucial Ballistix 8GB, Be Quiet! Pure Slim, Cooler Master Masterbox Lite 5 RGB, TP-Link Wifi Adapter, ASRock RX580, Artic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste, Logitech G105, Logitech M310, Razer Sphex V2 (Mat), EVGA 500W 80+ Silver, 1TB WD Blue, 240gb Kingston Digital

On 8/23/2019 at 8:23 PM, unevendaxter said:

eBay is a lukewarm OK. I only recommend buying parts from people in your city, or state/province though, because the shipping cost will not justify it if you have to get something from another country.

Craigslist, only do local, and make sure you trade in a public place. Craigslist is largely risky for the same reason meeting any stranger is.

Vancouver BC has https://www.freegeekvancouver.org/

http://www.repc.com/ in Seattle has a an warehouse of old stuff. If you're looking for any preowned stuff, inquire there if you live in Seattle or can visit via train/car. 

Another source (akin to dumpster diving) is going to recycling centers and just asking. There's occasionally just stacks of old equipment that's between 10 and 4 years old, just sitting there gathering dust or getting rained on if it's left outside. Stuff at the recycling center is destined to be shredded/crushed.

If you are after a specific item, just google search for it, and see where it sends you. Craigslist/kijiji are basically Buyer-beware. eBay has at least a way to recover your money if you get garbage. Aliexpress/taobao etc might be risky. Yahoo auctions Japan (usable via https://buyee.jp ) is also an option if you're after specific hardware that might not be on eBay.

On 8/24/2019 at 2:55 PM, kelvinhall05 said:

I've never had a good experience with Craigslist. The selection is shit, and the website looks like something sketchy from a decade ago.

Craigslist is decent in some parts of the world. It's really hit or miss though, for sure.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!