Summer 2019 GPU Buyer’s Guide

JonoT
14 minutes ago, JonoT said:

Page not found.

https://privacy.com/linus

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

As always Anthony has done a great job introducing the price segments, anyone on any strict budget should go for a card that will last. I am definitely one in for high performance used cards vs new under 300 USD here in the US, and the rx cards are pretty nice themselves.

This guide is spot on. No stone left unturned. Like how Anthony has given options for the used market too and explained everything so well.

I find it so annoying that there's no real option at the very very low end right now though. I just hope AMD solves that with like...an RX 5500 around $100. People are eating off scraps on the used market, or having to force themselves to pay extra for the RX 570.

Same goes for the ultra high end too. The 2080 Super is just downright awful. We need AMD and also Intel to provide alternatives, the 5800 and 5900 can't come soon enough.

Really like Anthony so two thumbs up for him!

But LTT store product placement in every video now?  Not only do this have a desperate feel over it, proper add/sponsor spot would be much better.  It also get a unprofessional tone over the whole video.  So sixteen thumbs down for that.

Hi, I'm new to the tech tips forum. 

Could some one help me with finding a place which has the builds that he mentioned in the video? 

Thanks in advance!

1 hour ago, appy_fizzy said:

Hi, I'm new to the tech tips forum. 

Could some one help me with finding a place which has the builds that he mentioned in the video? 

Thanks in advance!

It is not really a build guide video. They cut parts off the list and sometimes items appear more then once on the list. I did look at it and try to write it up. They do not show a list for each price point. My price points are what is spent on the GPU, and notes the changes I could see.

$80 CPU that is cut off (Ryzen 3 2200G is about that price in USD)

MicroATX $100 ASRock B450M PRO4

RAM $70 8 GB 3000 DDR4

Disc $40 is 2 TB Hitachi 7K3000 mechanical storage

Power supply $45 is Corsair 450 Watt 80+ Bronze

$100 - No new cards to recommend.

$150 - RX 570

Switch to Ryzen 5 3600 here

Switch to Corsair 850w 80+ Bronze

$240 - Vega 56 Used if used is ok (or $270 GTX 1660 Ti new)

Switch to 1 TB Intel 660p SSD here

Switch to 16 GB of budget RAM here (kinda have to see video)

$330 - RX5700 beats all (or $350 RTX 2060 for Nvidia drivers)

Switch to Ryzen 7 3700X here, stock cooler

Switch to ASUS TUF X570-PLUS

Switch to faster SSD, Sabrent Rocket

Switch to faster RAM, Ballistix Elite, still 16 GB

Switch to SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 850 Watt power

This a place where you can get comfortable.

$500 - RTX 2070 Souper (or $400 RX5700 XT with open cooler)

Switch to faster RAM, G.Skill Trident Z Royal 16 GB

Add RGB

$775 - RTX 2080 Souper (no competition at or past here)

It makes sense to use the APU at the bottom end, as it lets people take their time finding a used GPU. It also give the used GPU buyer a known-good system for testing their purchases.

Edited by LoneKrafayis
Looked up $80 AM4 APU, more detail

13 hours ago, Kroon said:

But LTT store product placement in every video now?  Not only do this have a desperate feel over it, proper add/sponsor spot would be much better.  It also get a unprofessional tone over the whole video.  So sixteen thumbs down for that.

I wouldn't go so far with my criticism of it, but it has become rather noticeable...been trying to figure out if it's them taking the piss or if it's something more.

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎

6 hours ago, Video Beagle said:

I wouldn't go so far with my criticism of it, but it has become rather noticeable...been trying to figure out if it's them taking the piss or if it's something more.

They did mention in one of the recent WAN shows that they have overstock... Maybe that's why. I also noticed it and find it mildly distracting. A video here and there is fine, but not every single video they put out, including TechLinked!

Thanks for yet another great video! I'm still a bit stuck on deciding on a 5700xt or a 2070 super for my new editing rig. I mostly use the Adobe Suite, so would CUDA or OpenCL be better?

2 hours ago, itsCorcoran said:

Thanks for yet another great video! I'm still a bit stuck on deciding on a 5700xt or a 2070 super for my new editing rig. I mostly use the Adobe Suite, so would CUDA or OpenCL be better?

generally cuda together with Intel still does best, because it works well with quicksync and the ring bus

Adobe's optimization is... specific

I have had a Gigabyte GTX 1070 Windforce OC for almost 3 years now (got it January '17). I have, at this point, upgraded everything else in my system. I keep telling myself I need to upgrade it next, but it really is just running perfectly fine for me (I game at 1080p, and do light 3D/photoshop work in 4k). Still debating if/when I should upgrade it. What is there out there that would be worth the money to upgrade? And, how much could I get selling this thing used?

For low end you could wait and see the Radeon 600 series.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition