Opinions on HD800's

X1XNobleX1X

What are your guys opinions on the Senheiser HD800;s?

I'll be pairing it with either the Fii0 or the Mayflower AMP/DAC.

square_louped_hd_800_01_sq_high_end_senn

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

What are your guys opinions on the Senheiser HD800;s?

I'll be pairing it with either the Fii0 or the Mayflower AMP/DAC.

aaaaa.... are you serious? A fiio with a HD800?

"Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Yes, Why?

On this forum people are suggesting either the FII0 or the Mayflower.

The Fiio is much either for me to get as I live in Australia. 

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

I wouldn't buy them. That's just me. I like a bass in my music so I'd rather go for some the Fostex T50RP V3 instead with an O2.

Quote me to get a reply!

Yes, Why?

On this forum people are suggesting either the FII0 or the Mayflower.

The Fiio is much either for me to get as I live in Australia. 

you don't go around getting cheap and crappy amps when you get HD800s.. normally you would get something like this:

http://www.wooaudio.com/products/wa2.html

Also the HD800 is not for everyone, or any music type. Personally I would never get any headphones above 600$ or so because I'd much rather have many headphones that suit different needs than one super expensive pair. And if you're not willing to pay at least 500$ for amps and dacs, you definitely shouldn't shell out on the HD800.

Edit: Personally I'd get Audeze LCD 2's instead of the HD800. Many people prefer them to the HD800 and they are quite the interesting headphone type because they are planar magnetic. 

people are noobs thats why they create forums asking for help. try to tone it down a touch because it discourages people who have legitimate questions

people are noobs thats why they create forums asking for help. try to tone it down a touch because it discourages people who have legitimate questions

Haha, I don't mind! I do I understand what he is saying though.

I did think the Fii0 would be fine. 

Yeah.... don't buy them if you don't already have multiple "cheap" headphones in the $200-$500 range.

Also, don't pair $1500 headphones with a $80 DAC/amp. I don't think you need to go crazy and get a woo product ( :rolleyes:), but something not made as cheaply as possible should be something you invest in if you're dumping over $300 on a pair of headphones.

you don't go around getting cheap and crappy amps when you get HD800s.. normally you would get something like this:

http://www.wooaudio.com/products/wa2.html

Also the HD800 is not for everyone, or any music type. Personally I would never get any headphones above 600$ or so because I'd much rather have many headphones that suit different needs than one super expensive pair. And if you're not willing to pay at least 500$ for amps and dacs, you definitely shouldn't shell out on the HD800.

Edit: Personally I'd get Audeze LCD 2's instead of the HD800. Many people prefer them to the HD800 and they are quite the interesting headphone type because they are planar magnetic. 

I also heard the HE500s by HifiMan are good what do you think?

yea you might not just dont want others to be dicouraged when posting

i laugh at people who buy windows 7 now instead of windows 8.1 but i say it nicely (at first)

yea i knew you were being sincere so i was going to say get a better amp/dac but just in a nicer way :P

I was watching this video. "Saying these headphones are awesome" and are apparently the best according to many people".

I'm sorry for being a little aggressive, but the idea of coupling an HD 800 with a fiio amp was just absolutely insane to me. 

Are your only headphones right now the Astro A40 headset (as listed in your sig)? If so, I would recommend you dabble into hi-fi a little more before splurging on a purchase like the HD800. Like most products, you get diminishing returns with headphones. A 3000$ pair of headphones won't sound ten times as good as a 300$ pair of headphones, while a 300$ pair will sound ten times as good as most 30$ headphones..

As always, I would advise you get IEMs for portable use (just give me a price range and I can give you some suggestions)

and then open headphones for home use (such as the hd800, but again, I wouldn't recommend such headphones before already having tried many other cheaper headphones or trying them out in person. And as ShearMe said, with expensive headphones, you also start needing expensive equipment to run the headphones on...)

I'm sorry for being a little aggressive, but the idea of coupling an HD 800 with a fiio amp was just absolutely insane to me. 

dude its fine

it IS insane just gotta watch how u come across :P

I was watching this video. "Saying these headphones are awesome" and are apparently the best according to many people".

I like barnacules and all, but he is not the best source out there for audio related expertise (not claiming I am either, but just saying)...  Heck, he himself claims he doens't really know much about audio.

Hmmm since you live in Australia i'm wondering what your target price range would be for a headphone setup, as well as the type of use they will get (meaning what type of music). I'm sure me and ShearMe could recommend some good products in a target range you're willing to go for.

Well, I don't think it's insane, however I wouldn't pair the two simply because if I had the money for the HD800 I would get something better than the e10, keeping in mind that better is only marginal as you go up the scale from there.

My honest opinion is that HD800 are bloody expensive, great company undoubtedly but expensive = definitely.  E10 in my opinion is only bested by the o2/odac up till $3/400 and I can't see much advantage in spending more than that.  unless you're filthy rich with money gagging to be wasted on diamond encrusted audio shizzz.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I like barnacules and all, but he is not the best source out there for audio related expertise (not claiming I am either, but just saying)...  Heck, he himself claims he doens't really know much about audio.

Hmmm since you live in Australia i'm wondering what your target price range would be for a headphone setup, as well as the type of use they will get (meaning what type of music). I'm sure me and ShearMe could recommend some good products in a target range you're willing to go for.

$800-1100 AUD

I listen to TOP 40 stuff, don't really a preference. 

I mostly play games though, so something just feels lifelike in games. 

Yeah.... don't buy them if you don't already have multiple "cheap" headphones in the $200-$500 range.

Also, don't pair $1500 headphones with a $80 DAC/amp. I don't think you need to go crazy and get a woo product ( :rolleyes:), but something not made as cheaply as possible should be something you invest in if you're dumping over $300 on a pair of headphones.

See comment above., 

$800-1100 AUD

I listen to TOP 40 stuff, don't really a preference. 

I mostly play games though, so something just feels lifelike in games. 

how were you intending to get the HD800 when they cost 1600 AUD on their own  :P without an amp or dac?

Well if you're looking for a great gaming experience, I would recommend something like the ATH-ADG1, which cost 279 AUD and are definitely one of the best, if not the best headset out there on the market (they are basically an AD700X, a pair of headphones loved by many competitive gamers with a mic added) http://headphones.com.au/psingle?productID=963

However they are not necessarily the best for music listening (although they are certainly not bad at all, in fact quite good). But since you have quite a large budget, I would get something like the Phillips Fidelio X1 (I know, you might be thinking... Phillips wtf?), but these are great headphones, especially for the price. I think they would completement great with the ATH-ADG1 because while the ADG1 is a brighter more treble heavy headphone, the Fidelio X1 is warmer, and also sounds particularly great when listening to some more upbeat top 40 types songs or edm.. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/PHILLIPS-FIDELIO-X1-HEADPHONES-Black-BRAND-NEW-Premium-Audiophile-EXPRESS-POST-/251438570155?pt=AU_headphone&hash=item3a8ae81aab&_uhb=1 seemed to be the only place on australia selling them

What I would get is perhaps a pair of Hifiman Re-400 on top of that as an IEM to use when travelling, commuting, or really anywhere on the go:

http://headphones.com.au/psingle?productID=867

Otherwise these IEMs (in ears aka canal earphones) I prefer to the RE-400, but they might be harder to find in Australia... these are the jvc fxd80 as well as the zero audio carbo doppio (impossible to get unless you use a shipping forwarding service from Japan) 

There are also the Vsonic GR07 Bass edition, which are fantastic, but I feel they are quite a bit overpriced on the ozzie market: http://headphones.com.au/psingle?productID=805

So when you add these 3 up, it should add to around 700 AUD. Which leaves a little money for amps and dacs. For the ADG1 and X1, they don't require much power so I would just get a simple topping TP30 amp/dac combo http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/TOPPING-TP30-Compact-30W-Class-T-Tripath-Digital-Amplifier-W-USB-Input-/400319436388?pt=US_Home_Audio_Amplifiers_Preamps&hash=item5d34e5d664&_uhb=1 which costs 150 AUD on top of that.

So that's 850$ for a great gaming headset, great headphones for music listening at home, and then some IEMs for great isolation and portability when moving around + a desktop amp + dac for better sound at your house... 

PS: sorry for the super long post... I got a little carried away and had to research australian pricing  :D

how were you intending to get the HD800 when they cost 1600 AUD on their own :P without an amp or dac?

Well if you're looking for a great gaming experience, I would recommend something like the ATH-ADG1, which cost 279 AUD and are definitely one of the best, if not the best headset out there on the market (they are basically an AD700X, a pair of headphones loved by many competitive gamers with a mic added) http://headphones.com.au/psingle?productID=963

However they are not necessarily the best for music listening (although they are certainly not bad at all, in fact quite good). But since you have quite a large budget, I would get something like the Phillips Fidelio X1 (I know, you might be thinking... Phillips wtf?), but these are great headphones, especially for the price. I think they would completement great with the ATH-ADG1 because while the ADG1 is a brighter more treble heavy headphone, the Fidelio X1 is warmer, and also sounds particularly great when listening to some more upbeat top 40 types songs or edm.. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/PHILLIPS-FIDELIO-X1-HEADPHONES-Black-BRAND-NEW-Premium-Audiophile-EXPRESS-POST-/251438570155?pt=AU_headphone&hash=item3a8ae81aab&_uhb=1 seemed to be the only place on australia selling them

What I would get is perhaps a pair of Hifiman Re-400 on top of that as an IEM to use when travelling, commuting, or really anywhere on the go:

http://headphones.com.au/psingle?productID=867

Otherwise these IEMs (in ears aka canal earphones) I prefer to the RE-400, but they might be harder to find in Australia... these are the jvc fxd80 as well as the zero audio carbo doppio (impossible to get unless you use a shipping forwarding service from Japan)

There are also the Vsonic GR07 Bass edition, which are fantastic, but I feel they are quite a bit overpriced on the ozzie market: http://headphones.com.au/psingle?productID=805

So when you add these 3 up, it should add to around 700 AUD. Which leaves a little money for amps and dacs. For the ADG1 and X1, they don't require much power so I would just get a simple topping TP30 amp/dac combo http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/TOPPING-TP30-Compact-30W-Class-T-Tripath-Digital-Amplifier-W-USB-Input-/400319436388?pt=US_Home_Audio_Amplifiers_Preamps&hash=item5d34e5d664&_uhb=1 which costs 150 AUD on top of that.

So that's 850$ for a great gaming headset, great headphones for music listening at home, and then some IEMs for great isolation and portability when moving around + a desktop amp + dac for better sound at your house...

PS: sorry for the super long post... I got a little carried away and had to research australian pricing :D

Thank you for the amazing post. ( you don't get people helping you this much everyday)

I can actually get the $1110 AUD from my local dealer as I bought all my speakers from them.

Would it be possible to get a better set or headphones for gaming and music?

So either one or two headphones, I won't ever use the IEMs.

I was looking at the Audez LCD 2 as you suggested before and many people recommend them over the HD800s. Also saw the Hifiman He-6. What do you think about them. I can extend my budget to $1500 for headphones+ DAC/amp if required.

Thank you for the amazing post. ( you don't get people helping you this much everyday)

I can actually get the $1110 AUD from my local dealer as I bought all my speakers from them.

Would it be possible to get a better set or headphones for gaming and music?

So either one or two headphones, I won't ever use the IEMs.

I was looking at the Audez LCD 2 as you suggested before and many people recommend them over the HD800s. Also saw the Hifiman He-6. What do you think about them. I can extend my budget to $1500 for headphones+ DAC/amp if required.

do keep in mind that the Audeze LCD 2, as well as the Hifiman HE-6 and HE-400 are all planar magnetic headphones. This means they work quite differently from the usual headphones and are hard to drive compared to usual headphones (in other words you need a pretty good amp and therefore you won't be able to use them just from driving them off your phone or tablet, or even a portable amp!)

Based off your needs and budgets, I would say the HE-500 is the best headphone out there for you. It's not as expensive as the audeze (the HE-500 are around 750 AUD), and isn't absolutely impossible to drive like the HE-6, and should still sound excellent. Should be great for gaming and all that as well due to the great sound stage (of course you'll want a mic since it's not a headset). Even the topping amp I posted above should be enough to drive them pretty well. HE-6 I definitely wouldn't recommend just due to the complication of getting an expensive really powerful amp for returns that aren't much better. Audeze might still be a great option if you can get them for a good price though. 

I'm just going to give my opinion, and state some facts.

The HD800's is REALLY overpriced for what it is. It's a $700 headphone at best, but if you are after nuetraility, go for it. But if you like a little bit warmer headphone, HE-500's and LCD2's are good options as well.

Secondly - The E10 isn't something I would use for end-game headphones. I'm not even sure it can power the HD800's to decent listening levels.

Just my opinion, good luck and avoid the snake oil.

$800-1100 AUD

I listen to TOP 40 stuff, don't really a preference

Oh, you're one of THOSE people. Don't get expensive headphones.

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

So I just visited an audiophile store and tried out HD 800's for myself. What a joke. They were comfortable, and the materials seemed nice, but they didn't sound any better than "entry level" audiophile headphones of the same sound signature. I'm sure there's some people who really like them, but you better make damn sure before spending that kind of money.

So I just visited an audiophile store and tried out HD 800's for myself. What a joke. They were comfortable, and the materials seemed nice, but they didn't sound any better than "entry level" audiophile headphones of the same sound signature. I'm sure there's some people who really like them, but you better make damn sure before spending that kind of money.

I have always said the point of diminishing returns kicks in around $300.   ($350 in if your in ARSEtraya)

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

do keep in mind that the Audeze LCD 2, as well as the Hifiman HE-6 and HE-400 are all planar magnetic headphones. This means they work quite differently from the usual headphones and are hard to drive compared to usual headphones (in other words you need a pretty good amp and therefore you won't be able to use them just from driving them off your phone or tablet, or even a portable amp!)

Based off your needs and budgets, I would say the HE-500 is the best headphone out there for you. It's not as expensive as the audeze (the HE-500 are around 750 AUD), and isn't absolutely impossible to drive like the HE-6, and should still sound excellent. Should be great for gaming and all that as well due to the great sound stage (of course you'll want a mic since it's not a headset). Even the topping amp I posted above should be enough to drive them pretty well. HE-6 I definitely wouldn't recommend just due to the complication of getting an expensive really powerful amp for returns that aren't much better. Audeze might still be a great option if you can get them for a good price though. 

Planars aren't as hard to drive as you might think if their impedance is low, such as the HE-400/400i/500/560 and the Fostex headphones.  For instance, I can get my Audeze LCD-2s pretty darn loud on my TINY Sansa Clip.  Not really loud enough for some people, but still even an iPod would be able to handle any of them alright (even says so in the Audeze manual until they start to go on about needing a more powerful amp to get the "most out of them")

I will second the HE-500 recommendation if he REALLY wants to spend that much money, with the caveat to hold off a bit and see if the price on either the 400i or 560 causes further drops in either the 500 or 560's price point.  The E10 and O2 (with a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter keep in mind) will be PLENTY for any of these though, in fact I recommend you request the 1x/2.5x gain option on the O2 (the "snipped O2" option).

what bout dat AMAZING soundstage?!?

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."