4k movie playback build recommendation

r.b

Hi, so it looks like I need to upgrade my home theatre pc in order to place 4k movies.  I currently am using a AMD FX 8350 w/16gb ram and a Nvidia 1050ti in a htpc case with less than stellar air flow (Fractal Design Node 605).  CPU temps spike up to about 80c and then crashes after about 30min of playback.  I am on a budget and can only spend $100-150 on the upgrade so am looking for cpu/motherboard recommendations with preferably ddr3 support or any recommendations on cpu cooling options for this case. 

Thanks

Honestly just disable 2 cores in the BIOS and you should be fine

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

4 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Honestly just disable 2 cores in the BIOS and you should be fine

Did that already as well as 4 cores (or threads) and it resulted in choppy playback.

6 minutes ago, r.b said:

Did that already as well as 4 cores (or threads) and it resulted in choppy playback.

This should do it then

PCPartPicker Part List
Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 3 1200 3.1 GHz Quad-Core Processor $59.89 @ OutletPC
Motherboard ASRock B450M Pro4-F Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard $71.00 @ Amazon
Memory Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-2666 Memory $38.99 @ Amazon
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total $169.88
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-08-18 16:26 EDT-0400  

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

I am in Canada which means that a build like this ends up around the $250 mark.

I do have a gaming pc as well with a Ryzen 1800x, Asus Strix x370, and gtx 1080.  So my plan B is waiting a while longer and upgrading the cpu in this system as the mobo will currently support up to the Ryzen 3900x. So just getting a cheap b350 mobo and ram may be the best option.

I do have a hyper 212 cpu cooler which could manage the temperature issues of the fx8350 but it does not fit in this case.  Another possibility is getting a 240mm rad and running it outside the case which may be possible too.

Thoughts?

Fx 8xxx series processors are known to run pretty hot. I'll recommend to transfer those parts from a htpc case to a well ventilated micro atx case. I'll also recommend to upgrade that cooler.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler  ($99.95 @ Newegg Canada Marketplace) A bit of an Overkill, I know.
Case: Fractal Design Focus G Mini MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($65.00 @ Newegg Canada) 
Total: $164.95
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-08-19 00:35 EDT-0400

SSD TIER LIST

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X

Mobo - ASRock X470 Taichi

Memory - G.Skill Trident Z RGB (8x2 3200MHz) 

Storage - Sabrent Rocket 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 2TBWD Black 1TB

GPU - MSI GeForce GTX 980Ti LIGHTNING

CaseFractal Design Meshify C

PSUSuper Flower Leadex II Gold 650W