FYI UK People: Virgin Media stores Passwords in Plaintext

33 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

"Posting it to you is secure, as it's illegal to open someone else's mail"

( /)_(\ we all can't be computer security experts, but...

image.png.bb89d15fda8ee90519eb87cf795cb485.png

Really though this is really bad, though certainly not unprecedented.  Didn't T-mobile or someone do basically the same thing recently?  They got caught storing passwords in plain text and then tried to defend it with equally incompetent nonsense

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

There is a big one in Australia that does that too.    One day there will be laws that govern the minimum effort a company has to take to ensure security of these things.

EDIT: and before someone tries to claim GDPR is that law, it's not.  There is nothing that dictates the minimum requirement for storage of personal data, so long as it is not publicly available it is not in breach of GDPR.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

10 minutes ago, mr moose said:

EDIT: and before someone tries to claim GDPR is that law, it's not.  There is nothing that dictates the minimum requirement for storage of personal data, so long as it is not publicly available it is not in breach of GDPR.

It would be interesting to know the specific legal terms that's spelled out in because this seems like a huge grey area otherwise.  What exactly is defined as "publicly available"?  At first glance it might seem rather black and white but when you think about it, it's actually quite a spectrum and who's to say where the line is drawn?

Edit: just to give some examples of what I'm thinking:

• Accessible through the homepage of a major website
  • Accessible though a link that can be easily guessed or found through a scan, but one that is not publicized anywhere
  • Accessible through something similar to the above but requires a password (and the password is something uselessly weak like "Admin", etc.)
  • etc.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

OMG those tweets are so funny to read.

VM have gone of the deep end if they truly believe what they have posted.

Either a colossal anus is in charge of tweeting ..or their account has been hacked, because its hard to believe a major company like them would open themselves up to massive legal repercussions by not only working that way but by coming out and stating it in such a way.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

10 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

It would be interesting to know the specific legal terms that's spelled out in because this seems like a huge grey area otherwise.  What exactly is defined as "publicly available"?  At first glance it might seem rather black and white but when you think about it, it's actually quite a spectrum and who's to say where the line is drawn?

Edit: just to give some examples of what I'm thinking:

• Accessible through the homepage of a major website
  • Accessible though a link that can be easily guessed or found through a scan, but one that is not publicized anywhere
  • Accessible through something similar to the above but requires a password (and the password is something uselessly weak like "Admin", etc.)
  • etc.

If someone from the public cannot access the information without a password or by deliberately penetrating a network designed  not to be accessible to them, then it is not publicly accessible.    I believe it would simply be a civil case between the two entities. GDPR as far as i know only dictates privacy as rights, not conditions exacting data handling specifications.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

The best response from that twitter thread from someone taking the piss out of VM:

"Don't worry! Storing passwords in plaintext is secure, as it's illegal to hack a database."

As a VM customer I'm shocked at how piss poor the information security of one of our largest ISP's is. And given that these things tend to be industry standard...I'm guessing they're not the only ones who are bluffing their way through the gig.

DAEDALUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 - 1600 @ 3.7Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Turbo Black Edition // Motherboard: Asus RoG Strix B350-F Gaming // Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1060 Windforce 6GB GDDR5 // Memory: 2 x 8GB DDR4 Corsair LPX Vengeance 3000Mhz // Storage: WD Green - 250GB M.2 SATA SSD (Boot Drive and Programs), SanDisk Ultra II 120GB (GTA V), WD Elements 1TB External Drive (Steam Library) // Power Supply: Cooler Master Silent Pro 700W // Case: BeQuiet Silentbase 600 with SilentWings Mk.2 Internal Fans // Peripherals: VicTop Mechanical Gaming Keyboard & VicTsing 7200 DPI Wired Gaming Mouse

PROMETHEUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: Intel Core i5-3470 @ 3.2Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master 212 EVO // Motherboard: Foxconn 2ABF // Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5450 (For Diagnostic Testing Only) // Memory: 2 x 4GB DDR3 Mushkin Memory // Storage: 10TB of Various Storage Drives // Power Supply: Corsair 600W // Case: Bitfenix Nova Midi Tower - Black

SpeedTest Results - Having Trouble Finding a Decent PSU? - Check the PSU Tier List!