Dirty cheap 16C Bulldozer Opterons and 8C Nahaelm EX - is there a use for them?

Hi
I saw, that Linus again tried to play with 2X 4C Yorkfield platform and that got me thinking.

I know, that you can get AMD Opteron 6276 (16C Bulldozer 2.3GHz) for around 15-20 US bucks, Opteron 6376 (16C Piledriver 2.3GHz) for 20-25 bucks, or from the Intel side, X7550 (8C Nehalem EX 2GHz) for laughable 4 bucks and E7-2850 (10C Westmere EX 2GHz) for around 15-20 buck, if you got good deal.

I played with these platforms long ago, but I dont have any by me now. Does somebody still use them? Even today I use my trusty old dual X5670 for my server and they are good enough. What about this big hi-end grade grandpa's in today's workload in perspective to power/watt and cost of the whole system.

I would love to hear any echo on that!
Thank you for reading

He messed with those Opterons in this video. As for the Intel side, Nehalem and Westmere have aged very well, and are still very usable (especially the higher end hyper threaded parts). Both lack single core performance, and the modern features for power savings and turbo boost. But for what they are, they are fantastic.

Power usage will be rather immense, but performance still scales very well unless you require the newer AVX instruction sets that these chips simply predate.

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

OzTalksHW did some videos with opteron a while ago :

Yeah, power consumption's a big problem. Other than that, if you ever need a huge amount of ram for something, like 256gb of memory, such an old server could be worth the money.

24 minutes ago, SenKa said:

He messed with those Opterons in this video.

Oh, I already forgot about that video. Yeah. Too sad, that they havent go for the Piledriver, which have much better IPC. Now they need to do the Nahael/Westmere version :D