Something cool to make

I need suggestions for something cool to make that isn't too ambitious. Something I can work on a lil here & there.

I may work in C or C++ on Linux so I can go outside & work since my laptop has Mint on it rn.

freeware extension for after effects that does the deflicker and removal of dirt and dust from film

they already exist but cost a lot for some reason and are only compatible with old versions of after effects

Cross-manufacturer GPU monitoring tool. That's what I''m missing now. Tired of using different tools for different GPU's :D . Something like a resource monitor on Linux, somewhat user friendly. You already have a user over here.

Edit to clarify: For Linux, or cross-plaftorm entirely (though it could be a challenge here).

1 minute ago, emosun said:

freeware extension for after effects that does the deflicker and removal of dirt and dust from film

they already exist but cost a lot for some reason and are only compatible with old versions of after effects

I can't afford subscription products to write extensions. I don't want to write extensions for things that cost money. I am too poor xD

then write one for the old versions so at least its free

I mean this feature really should be free anyway as film restorations only limiting factor whether it be hollywood or private projects is just the cost to do so

14 minutes ago, emosun said:

then write one for the old versions so at least its free

I mean this feature really should be free anyway as film restorations only limiting factor whether it be hollywood or private projects is just the cost to do so

The older versions are free?

Quote this or use @BaconLord222 if you want a reply

PC Specs

Main Desktop

CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 2600X

CPU Cooler - Stock Wraith Spire thing lol

Mobo - MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC

GPU - Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 Super Windforce OC 8GB

RAM - Team T-Force Dark 16gb (2x8gb) 3200MHz DDR4

Storage - Corsair Force Series Mp510 240gb

Seagate Barracuda 3TB 7200rpm HDD

PSU - EVGA SuperNOVA G3 550W

Case - Phanteks Eclipse P300

O/S - Windows 10 Home 64bit

A basic C/C++ based kernel (that is what I want to do later today)

7 hours ago, fpo said:

I need suggestions for something cool to make that isn't too ambitious. Something I can work on a lil here & there.

An Arduino-based machine that can slap people over the internet.

Write in C.

10 hours ago, DevBlox said:

Cross-manufacturer GPU monitoring tool. That's what I''m missing now. Tired of using different tools for different GPU's :D . Something like a resource monitor on Linux, somewhat user friendly. You already have a user over here.

For which manufacturer MSI afterburner doesn't work with ? At work we use only that with many manufacturer. Pretty sure we have all of them except Zotac.

2 hours ago, Franck said:

For which manufacturer MSI afterburner doesn't work with ? At work we use only that with many manufacturer. Pretty sure we have all of them except Zotac.

It doesn't work in Linux. Should have clarified that, pardon.

9 minutes ago, DevBlox said:

It doesn't work in Linux. Should have clarified that, pardon.

So far your idea is the most realistic. 

14 minutes ago, fpo said:

So far your idea is the most realistic. 

Most realistic yes but very complex. Reading hardware require quite hard low level programing and driver knowledge. Already interacting with the video card through DirectX and OpenGL is not that easy. If you want to play with hardware if you don't have deep knowledge of this kind of programing i suggest you try with keyboard and mouse. There is some standard interfacing methods which is much easier to handle and start with. You can make a keyboard gesture app. i.e detect CTRL hold on the keyboard and record the mouse movement and do something based on the result. This is well suited for machine learning as well.

Getting those numbers shouldn't be as hard as actually making a renderer at all IMO. Tomorrow I'll poke around the open source intel_gpu_tools that I'm using right now (I have a peasantly laptop with just that iGPU for now), it's hard to judge how at first glance on the difficulty, since there are a lot of different tools there that seem to use common code. But it might be a good place to start, with just that, then work up after. It would take some elbow grease for sure.

I'd be pretty keen to contribute at least a bit to this myself, as I'm working on a Vulkan renderer now for basic game engine (learning purposes mostly, maybe light gamedev whenever/if the features are there). I'm a few features away from being able to give it "the business" (load a bunch of models and make it burn as much as possible). That point on I'll try to work on optimization (Vulkan is very flexible in that regard) and I'm pretty keen on having a tool to look at it all. Also, next year I'll build an AMD rig (also will be a Linux system), for gaming/development at home, and I'm completely unsure about the state of tools etc on AMD's side (I know they exist, but not how good they are).

53 minutes ago, Franck said:

Most realistic yes but very complex. Reading hardware require quite hard low level programing and driver knowledge. 

I've programmed arduino before so I have some knowledge. I've also used assembly before.

Already interacting with the video card through DirectX and OpenGL is not that easy.

Setting up the libraries is the hardest part

If you want to play with hardware if you don't have deep knowledge of this kind of programing i suggest you try with keyboard and mouse. There is some standard interfacing methods which is much easier to handle and start with.

I've used SFML before.

This is well suited for machine learning as well.

I'd need a goal.

6 minutes ago, DevBlox said:

Getting those numbers shouldn't be as hard as actually making a renderer at all IMO.

I was thinking of just reading memory usage basically. Most games like RSS detect what the GPU is capable of. I'd then just see what's being used atm.

Tomorrow I'll poke around the open source intel_gpu_tools that I'm using right now (I have a peasantly laptop with just that iGPU for now), it's hard to judge how at first glance on the difficulty, since there are a lot of different tools there that seem to use common code.

I imagine there's a lot of those.

But it might be a good place to start, with just that, then work up after. It would take some elbow grease for sure.

I was going to try it the hard way. IE look everything up from scratch.

If you aren't set on making something from scratch, contributing to open source stuff can be a pretty fun project.

By that I mean either find an interesting project and help out, or look at the tools you use and see if you can contribute to one of them. Obviously you aren't going to be able to do much for something massive like the Linux kernel, but there are plenty of small or medium sized projects that are interesting and have some easy-ish stuff to work on. The advantage being that you can help out and update something that people are using, and you benefit from the bug fixes or features to that tool you use.

Not sure where you are with life, but open source stuff is also the sort of thing that is interesting from employers / uni applications etc.

CPU: 6700k GPU: Zotac RTX 2070 S RAM: 16GB 3200MHz  SSD: 2x1TB M.2  Case: DAN Case A4

@fpo intel_gpu_tools is using libdrm + ioctl calls to interface with the card and get those numbers. The headers and lib are available on every Linux system, all the drivers are underneath it. It supports whatever drivers Linux supports (not only the trifecta of AMD, Intel, Nvidia, but mobile chips, like VC4 on RPi etc). Wikipedia info about DRM here (a quite good overview). Needless to say, it looks a like a perfect point to hook in to, I was a bit concerned about handling all the different stuff out there, look like DRM already handles it, it's just a matter of getting things out of it ?

2 hours ago, WiiManic said:

snip open source recommendation.

Any projects you'd recommend? Perhaps something you're watching?

1 hour ago, DevBlox said:

@fpo intel_gpu_tools is using libdrm + ioctl calls to interface with the card and get those numbers. The headers and lib are available on every Linux system, all the drivers are underneath it. It supports whatever drivers Linux supports (not only the trifecta of AMD, Intel, Nvidia, but mobile chips, like VC4 on RPi etc). Wikipedia info about DRM here (a quite good overview). Needless to say, it looks a like a perfect point to hook in to, I was a bit concerned about handling all the different stuff out there, look like DRM already handles it, it's just a matter of getting things out of it ?

Sounds good! I'll check that out.

I dont know if its been said already, make a simple 2D game! SFML is a great library for small projects like that.

Well, I have some idea. My programming skills are not so good, but I can make something (look attachment). Unfortunatelly, it's not so fast (fullHD version can produce only one frame per second and it's only basic function without additional effects). Idea is to generate something like that (function defined by user that generates sin/cos/etc based spline with effects with possibility to add wav as additional parameter, so generated effect will change depends on music beats etc.). It can be save as bmp sequence or just as realtime nice sound effect (that I can grab by other software).

Basically - nice wav/mp3 shaded spline based visualizer.

Example (poorly written):

blines.exe

2 hours ago, homeap5 said:

Example (poorly written):

blines.exe

That is incredibly slow. You are using GDI to generate the image as it freeze if you move the screen and GDI is not the way to go for this. There is a limit of what GDI can do and you can't win this war.

Check out OpenGL for these type of effects. To draw 2D you don't have to learn much and you don't have to worry about complicated stuff such as triangle drawing order. You might want to look for something like SFML for C++

14 hours ago, Franck said:

That is incredibly slow. You are using GDI to generate the image as it freeze if you move the screen and GDI is not the way to go for this. There is a limit of what GDI can do and you can't win this war.

Check out OpenGL for these type of effects. To draw 2D you don't have to learn much and you don't have to worry about complicated stuff such as triangle drawing order. You might want to look for something like SFML for C++

I am not a coder and I'm not sure I want to be. Btw. it runs about 30 fps on my pc, but I agree. That was only suggestion for OP to made some nice 2D effect as music visualization.

Btw. that was made in freebasic without using opengl or any other library. Just for check an idea.

12 hours ago, homeap5 said:

I am not a coder and I'm not sure I want to be. Btw. it runs about 30 fps on my pc, but I agree. That was only suggestion for OP to made some nice 2D effect as music visualization.

Btw. that was made in freebasic without using opengl or any other library. Just for check an idea.

I meant there are limit for GDI speed but FreeBasic should be able to use OpenGL which would be much faster and smoother. The idea is good, you can improve and expand. You could automatically read audio output from specific device without having to play any sound yourself so you just show what's playing all over the computer.

BTW Kudos for using FreeBasic. I started with that... well it's ancestors QBasic and Basica.

48 minutes ago, Franck said:

I meant there are limit for GDI speed but FreeBasic should be able to use OpenGL which would be much faster and smoother. The idea is good, you can improve and expand. You could automatically read audio output from specific device without having to play any sound yourself so you just show what's playing all over the computer.

BTW Kudos for using FreeBasic. I started with that... well it's ancestors QBasic and Basica.

I'm only trying to made something and basic is easiest for me to do that. I don't want to learn more though. And about OpenGL - I was trying to use once, but my main calculations and ideas are thousands of sinus + cosinus functions on high precission variables, so drawing points using OpenGL method can improve things just a little.

I don't draw point and read it for shade/glare effects - it's all array operations that are put on screen at the end of frame.

And again - I'm not a programmer, I'm just a person who always wants to discover more. So after creating music, working on vector graphics and bitmaps, playing some games, configure lot of hardware and software etc. I decided to made some programming from time to time - php, vba and now freebasic. And because I'm also like to watch movies and I'm not a teenager, and I have some friends that I want to meet from time to time, and my family need my attention sometimes ;), I have no time left for learning all that OpenGL / advanced programming stuff. It's just for fun. But enought to give someone an idea with example - always better than giving idea without it. :) Hey, I can even give you source if you want to fix it in 5 minutes (probably).

After watching a Jarvis Johnson video, I think I may make some android apps. If only I had an android... (I know about emulation.)

Thank you all for your suggestions. After I make some android apps, I'll likely come back here for some neat projects.