90 ℃ even with nh-d15. Normal?

I have an amd 3900x and while I ran cinnebench, the temps skyrocketed to 90℃. I was expecting better cooling performance with nh-d15.

I'm new to pc building and I'm not quite sure if this kind of temps are normal even with the giant nh-d15 CPU cooler. 

Did you apply thermal paste? If yes is it from reputable brand? Did you mount it properly? and stupid question but many people actually forgot to do this, Does the cooler has plastic cover on the base plate? did you remove it? Is the fans spinning? how high is the rpm? did you connect the fan cables properly? is it in dc or pwm mode?

Edited by RekiChan

NH-D15 comes with Noctuas own thermal paste.

Did you use the right spacers with the included mounting kit? If I remember correctly, the grey ones are for AM4 socket.

And another thing, what kind of core voltages is your mobo pushing to cpu?

3700X | NH-D15 | X470-F | 2x16GB @3200MHz | RTX 2060 Ventus OC

RM650x | Fractal Design R4 | NVMe 970 EVO Plus 512GB | SATA 850 EVO 512GB

<Build Log>

3 minutes ago, Dubba said:

NH-D15 comes with Noctuas own thermal paste.

Thanks, I didn't know that. But it could be second hand one or used on other PC before, or God forbid... they removed the thermal paste thinking that they were supposed to do that. As OP said that they were new to PC building.

Just now, RekiChan said:

Thanks, I didn't know that. But it could be second hand one or used on other PC before, or God forbid... they removed the thermal paste thinking that they were supposed to do that. As OP said that they were new to PC building.

Well that can always happen xD

Forgot to mention, the thermal paste is not pre-applied to the cooler, but it's provided in a syringe which I really approve of.

<Build Log>

3 hours ago, hoihoi007 said:

I have an amd 3900x and while I ran cinnebench, the temps skyrocketed to 90℃. I was expecting better cooling performance with nh-d15.

I'm new to pc building and I'm not quite sure if this kind of temps are normal even with the giant nh-d15 CPU cooler. 

What are you using to monitor the temp? I'd used GPU-Z which has a CPU ave/max reading and I was flabbergasted at the high temp reading. I was advised to use Ryzen Master instead, and while the temp do spike, even after half hour or so of Metro Exodus, my temp shows up as 60+C upon quitting the game and going to desktop. Previously, with GPU=z, temps were at least 10C or more upon quitting the game.

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

thanks for the responses!

just checked, the cooler was installed correctly. 

i am using ryzen master to monitor my temps. the cpu uses 1.4x volts under load.

is it the ambient temperature causing this? cuz my room is hot, like 30-31 degrees

12 minutes ago, hoihoi007 said:

i am using ryzen master to monitor my temps. the cpu uses 1.4x volts under load.

is it the ambient temperature causing this? cuz my room is hot, like 30-31 degrees

Don't know specifically what's causing it but I have noticed that my system reports two conflicting temps for my 2600X and I've been trying to figure it out. Under load from Cinebench my CPU reports up to 97C which is well above Ryzen's own thermal cap at 95C. Ryzen Master reports the same temps but my motherboard reports 75C peak under that same load.. what the hell is going on?

I have to wonder if we're running into the same issue. I'm running a CoolerMaster ML360. I know it's overkill but not it definitely should not be running at 97C. Ambient temp in my room is about 20-21C

CPU.png

PC Interest - Thriving | Wallet Status - Near Empty

Ryzen 7 3700X, ASUS Dual RTX 3070 (+OC)

Corsair Vengeance LPX (2 x 16GB) 3200MHz, ASRock X570 Pro4 

2 hours ago, ajaxburger said:

Don't know specifically what's causing it but I have noticed that my system reports two conflicting temps for my 2600X and I've been trying to figure it out. Under load from Cinebench my CPU reports up to 97C which is well above Ryzen's own thermal cap at 95C. Ryzen Master reports the same temps but my motherboard reports 75C peak under that same load.. what the hell is going on?

I have to wonder if we're running into the same issue. I'm running a CoolerMaster ML360. I know it's overkill but not it definitely should not be running at 97C. Ambient temp in my room is about 20-21C

With temps like that with an ML360, I'd check if your pump is working properly, can you hear it or hear liquid moving?

2 hours ago, hoihoi007 said:

If the temperature rises rapidly, say in one second, then I'd say it's not the ambient temperature.

My 3700X raised to 84C in synthetic tests with ambient temperature of 32C. Now when it's 21C, it raises to the same temp, and also decreases rapidly, adding to the thought that the NH-D15 doesn't have any problems dissipating the heat it receives. Ambient temperature would start affecting more over sustained loads when the heatsink itself starts getting warmer and warmer.

My voltages were pretty high like that too, all-core synthetic load around 1.39-1.41V but you do have more cores. If the cooler is attached properly, and you have at least one fan in it, I'd start suspecting just voltages being too high. Is your BIOS up to date?

<Build Log>

What case, how's the airflow?

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430

3 hours ago, ajaxburger said:

The motherboard doesn't actually measures the CPU temperature, it measures the socket temperature. And there are 2 types of temperature, CPU temperature and package temperature reported by HWmonitor. I might be wrong but from my brief google search it seems that package temperature measures the core with the highest temperature while CPU temperature measures the overall (average of all cores) temperature.

17 hours ago, kieguru said:

With temps like that with an ML360, I'd check if your pump is working properly, can you hear it or hear liquid moving?

I can hear the liquid moving for sure. When the system starts and the side is off you can hear the liquid being moved about.

For reference this is in a Lian-Li PC O-11 Dynamic.

15 hours ago, RekiChan said:

The motherboard doesn't actually measures the CPU temperature, it measures the socket temperature. And there are 2 types of temperature, CPU temperature and package temperature reported by HWmonitor. I might be wrong but from my brief google search it seems that package temperature measures the core with the highest temperature while CPU temperature measures the overall (average of all cores) temperature.

Thanks for the feedback. My research seems to agree with yours. I had just heard that Ryzen was mis-reporting its temps some time ago.

PC Interest - Thriving | Wallet Status - Near Empty

Ryzen 7 3700X, ASUS Dual RTX 3070 (+OC)

Corsair Vengeance LPX (2 x 16GB) 3200MHz, ASRock X570 Pro4 

Mine did the same thing in cinebench but if you want to see how well your thermals are under load and how stable your system is you need to run a stress test not a benchmark which is what cinebench is. Use p95 for a stress test or adia64 for stress test there you should see your tire numbers. 

9 hours ago, ajaxburger said:

I can hear the liquid moving for sure. When the system starts and the side is off you can hear the liquid being moved about.

If you're using AIO then maybe the liquid temperature will be a better indicator of CPU Temp. It also prevent fans ramping up due to sudden temperature spikes. But if you plan to use the liquid temperature as condition for fans speed then you need to set a more aggressive fan curve. 85C cpu temp should be within specs but 85C liquid temperature is disaster. 

I believe my bios are up to date cuz it's x570 pro carbon wifi- a quite new board

I'm also using meshify c from fractal design. 4 case fans blow in 1 blow out

after reading your comment, I believe the reason could just be more cores that 3900x have. if 3700x raised to 84c in full load, I think it won't be surprising that 3900x have higher temps at full load. I won't be torturing my CPU that frequently after all. I think won't be a huge issue as long as my temps don't go crazy under normal usage

thanks! you guys helped me a lot. 

On 8/16/2019 at 6:19 PM, Dubba said:

If the temperature rises rapidly, say in one second, then I'd say it's not the ambient temperature.

My 3700X raised to 84C in synthetic tests with ambient temperature of 32C. Now when it's 21C, it raises to the same temp, and also decreases rapidly, adding to the thought that the NH-D15 doesn't have any problems dissipating the heat it receives. Ambient temperature would start affecting more over sustained loads when the heatsink itself starts getting warmer and warmer.

My voltages were pretty high like that too, all-core synthetic load around 1.39-1.41V but you do have more cores. If the cooler is attached properly, and you have at least one fan in it, I'd start suspecting just voltages being too high. Is your BIOS up to date?