Jerryrig retro mouse to usb

galaxyrooter

Hi guys, I have found an old DB-9(vga-similar) mouse made by Microsoft. I really like the retro look and feel and I want the mouse USB-ed. Im using an iphone 4 3rd party usb cable as donor. The usb cable has 4 colored wires:

Red,white,yellow,green

The mouse too has 4 colors but

Red,brown,yellow,orange

Is my idea bad, and how can I make this possible, I really like this mouse

Ive connected the equal pairs, and dont know what to do with these different pairs

1565806354316316594256185398057.jpg

13 minutes ago, galaxyrooter said:

DB-9

That was called "serial" and serial to USB adapters exist.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

3 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

That was called "serial" and serial to USB adapters exist.

Im at my granpas place, and could really use a mouse instead of the laptop trackpad. Adapters likr that arent available in my country, only option is order from ebay and it will arrive in late September. I would love to jerryrig it and use it like this. Is it possible without an adapter?

Just now, galaxyrooter said:

Is it possible without an adapter?

probably.

You'll need to dig up the wiring diagrams for both USB and serial, and match them.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

5 minutes ago, galaxyrooter said:

Is it possible without an adapter?

3 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

probably.

You'll need to dig up the wiring diagrams for both USB and serial, and match them.

A quick google search:

81XcPG1KmcL._SL1500_.jpg

Just now, Olaf6541 said:

A quick google search:

81XcPG1KmcL._SL1500_.jpg

Im not doing it like that, Ive cut both cables in the middle and merging their ends together

1 minute ago, galaxyrooter said:

Im not doing it like that, Ive cut both cables in the middle and merging their ends together

Then you have to find out which cable goes to which pin, i know usb is easy but i dont know about serial.

6 minutes ago, Olaf6541 said:

Then you have to find out which cable goes to which pin, i know usb is easy but i dont know about serial.

Do you think it will be plug and play? How should I know when its properly merged?

9 minutes ago, galaxyrooter said:

Do you think it will be plug and play? How should I know when its properly merged?

Yeah if you connect it the right way and plug it in you would be able to use it... Theyre both serial bus protocols so i think it will work but if never tried it.

But if you do it the wrong im afraid you can throw away that mouse....

33 minutes ago, Olaf6541 said:

A quick google search:

81XcPG1KmcL._SL1500_.jpg

what bothers me, is why are there only three wires shown when both of these have 4 wires

1 minute ago, galaxyrooter said:

what is bothering me 

what bothers me, is why are there only three wires shown when both of these have 4 wires

red wire is ground (V-) and blue/green is data (D+/D-), i guess the serial connector doesnt use any extra power (4th pin on usb is V+). But it could be that your mouse doesnt need it if it has a ball (you would need it for the laster if its an optical mouse).

3 minutes ago, Olaf6541 said:

red wire is ground (V-) and blue/green is data (D+/D-), i guess the serial connector doesnt use any extra power (4th pin on usb is V+). But it could be that your mouse doesnt need it if it has a ball (you would need it for the laster if its an optical mouse).

red and greenis giving me driver installation on pc and the plugin sound however it lasts a second and loops like that

16 minutes ago, galaxyrooter said:

red and greenis giving me driver installation on pc and the plugin sound however it lasts a second and loops like that

You mean your red and green? I would guess blue and green in my picture is white and green in yours (not sure which is which) and blue in mine is yellow in yours (assuming red is V+). 

6 minutes ago, Olaf6541 said:

You mean your red and green? I would guess blue and green in my picture is white and green in yours (not sure which is which) and blue in mine is yellow in yours (assuming red is V+). 

my god this is hard

my god this is hard

Yea those wires were never meant to be jerryrigged like this...

8 minutes ago, Olaf6541 said:

Yea those wires were never meant to be jerryrigged like this...

only gets detected for 1second and that loops if red+green and  brown+red conencted. If i connect any of the other pairs it doesnt even detect it for 1s

5 minutes ago, galaxyrooter said:

only gets detected for 1second and that loops if red+green and  brown+red conencted. If i connect any of the other pairs it doesnt even detect it for 1s

Try red and brown from serial to white and green from usb. Then connect yellow to yellow.

According to some googling those are the data pins and ground wires.

I'm not responsible for what happens ?

4 minutes ago, Olaf6541 said:

I'm not responsible for what happens ?

ur responsible for nothing happened lol

ur responsible for nothing happened lol

pffew...

Okay well i cant find any examples of usb wires that include yellow, normally its green/white for data and red/black for +/-, so you might need to find out which wire is which.

As for serial, im pretty sure this table is correct, at least pin 2-5 matches your colors:

https://pinouts.ru/SerialPortsCables/Nullmodem9to9_pinout.shtml

21 minutes ago, Olaf6541 said:

pffew...

Okay well i cant find any examples of usb wires that include yellow, normally its green/white for data and red/black for +/-, so you might need to find out which wire is which.

As for serial, im pretty sure this table is correct, at least pin 2-5 matches your colors:

https://pinouts.ru/SerialPortsCables/Nullmodem9to9_pinout.shtml

ive tried all combos, only one makes the pc recognize but says its malfunctioned and disables it(redserial+greenusb and nothing else, adding any new pairs of wires removes it fromthe pc)

opened the mouse, some chip burnt inside, probably effd up the cables and burnt the chip

EDIT: update: replaced the guts of the mouse with a logitech optical mouse