USB PCIe risers

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone has tested the "new" pcie 1x to usb to pcie 16x powered risers. I hear that they improve stability compared to traditional powered pcie risers and solve some crashing problems people might have.

20140130_121606-300x300.jpg

Spoiler

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone has tested the "new" pcie 1x to usb to pcie 16x powered risers. I hear that they improve stability compared to traditional powered pcie risers and solve some crashing problems people might have.

Does usb really carry the bandwidth or am I missing something

Does usb really carry the bandwidth or am I missing something

Yep.

Spoiler

Yep.

How can that carry high powered things :( usb is rather limited is it not

Look closely. Just besides the usb connector on the 16x pcie's pcb, there's a molex power connector.

Spoiler

Look closely. Just besides the usb connector on the 16x pcie's pcb, there's a molex power connector.

i mean power by like how much data it can push through

I answered your question. There's a molex power connector besides the usb connector on the 16x pcie's pcb.

Power : molex connector

Data : usb cable

Spoiler

Yes and no. Actual USB is very limited when it comes to bandwidth, however this is because of the controller and not the actual cable. In this case the USB cable could have been any other cable, it would not have made a difference, it's just copper that transfers data. It should be no different from your regular PCI-e risers though, so as to whether or not it fixes crashing I seriously doubt it makes any difference at all.

I'm wondering the same thing.

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E7300 Motherboard: Asus P5KPL-AM (mATX) RAM : 3GB GPU : Asus Radeon HD 4670 Case : Generic mATX Case Storage: Crucial M500 240 GB & WD Blue 500GB PSU: 420W

Hm... I dont thiks this will work well

But for mining it should be enugh bandwith

i dont even... what is this thing... and why would it be used...

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

i dont even... what is this thing... and why would it be used...

Because I burnt around 10 pcie risers because they are crappy soldered connections and have a crappy regulation of voltage coming from pcie lane.

Because they make a lot of mining rigs unstable and crash.

Because sometimes, they are the cause of lowered mining performance.

Spoiler

I'm wondering the same thing.

Hm... I dont thiks this will work well

But for mining it should be enugh bandwith

Mining doesn't require a ton of bandwith. Proof of that is that mining on a 1x pcie lane is totally fine.

Spoiler

Hi all,

It looks like all this does is bottleneck bandwidth.

If your mining rig is crashing because of bad risers, buy better risers.

Woo!

It looks like all this does is bottleneck bandwidth.

Not an issue.

If your mining rig is crashing because of bad risers, buy better risers.

Exactly my question. Are these better ? Has anyone tried them ?

Spoiler

Yes and no. Actual USB is very limited when it comes to bandwidth, however this is because of the controller and not the actual cable. In this case the USB cable could have been any other cable, it would not have made a difference, it's just copper that transfers data. It should be no different from your regular PCI-e risers though, so as to whether or not it fixes crashing I seriously doubt it makes any difference at all.

Even with the custom power delivery on the 16x lane's pcb ? In my mind that should improve stability a lot. Also the overall seems a lot more well made. No more lane of 30-40 crappy solder points.

Spoiler

Even with the custom power delivery on the 16x lane's pcb ? In my mind that should improve stability a lot. Also the overall seems a lot more well made. No more lane of 30-40 crappy solder points.

Well the reason there isn't 40 crappy solder points is because what you're looking at is a 1x riser, not a 16x riser. Also there are plenty of regular powered risers out there, the extra power delivery is by no means a new thing.

Hi all,

I wonder what would happen if you plugged that into a usb port

AAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHH!!!!

I was thinking of getting a couple. It requires a usb 3 connection for anyone wondering about bandwidth

Main rig: i7 3770K @ 4.54, Sapphire R9 290, Sabertooth Z77, 16 GB Mushkin Redline 2133, Lian Li PC-P50R, Seasonic 860xp Platinum, Kingston Hyper X 3K 240GB

freeNAS server: AMD Athlon II 170u 20W, 5 x 3TB WD Red in raid-z1 (12 TB)

media centre: AMD A10-5700, crucial M4 (boot), running XBMC,4 x 3TB WD Red, 3 x 3TB WD green + 2TB green in FlexRAID (17 TB)

Thats cool

|Casual Rig| CPU: i5-6600k |MoBo: ROG Gene  |GPU: Asus 670 Direct CU2 |RAM: RipJaws 2400MHz 2x8GB DDR4 |Heatsink: H100i |Boot Drive: Samsung Evo SSD 240GB|Chassis:BitFenix Prodigy |Peripherals| Keyboard:DasKeyboard, Cherry MX Blue Switches,|Mouse: Corsair M40

|Server Specs| CPU: i7-3770k [OC'd @ 4.1GHz] |MoBo: Sabertooth Z77 |RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 2x8GB |Boot Drive: Samsung 840 SSD 128GB|Storage Drive: 4 WD 3TB Red Drives Raid 5 |Chassis:Corsair 600t 

I was thinking of getting a couple. It requires a usb 3 connection for anyone wondering about bandwidth

And USB 3.0 is over 500 Mb/s IIRC. Which is more than the PCI-e x1 can support, so it would be the bottleneck first. And mining doesn't care about that because mining uses very little bandwidth.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

I have been hearing great things about these on Reddit. I would give them a try! They have the bandwidth and power for mining, so they have no faults really.