So how come there's no guides out there for beginners on software.

nelska

I have had a gaming pc for like 4 years and not once have I.. upgraded the flash bios.. downloaded the command center. Kept all the drivers in tune.. ect. ect. ect. Even when you buy a pc at microcenter or whatever they don't include anywhere a kit with so much to take care of included. It's all figured out with time. I'm still not sure what I'm missing. 

You upgrade the BIOS only when you need to IMO, like with improved memory support or when moving to another CPU platform on this board and you need to get the newest compatibilities.

Otherwise, there is really no need to do that, when all is running fine.

Furthermore, the command centers of your motherboard, GPU, etc. are quite optional IMO, as they are mostly there for RGB it seems. Control panels for mice, keyboard, etc. serve a similar purpose.

Otherwise drivers.. It's a similar story as with BIOS updates, except for GPU updates; which you should do quite regularly. On the Nvidia side, you can use GeForce experience and as an AMD user I can say I just update whenever to a stable version.

Other software is really up to personal preference.

For example, I like having monitoring program and such, others may not. You may need certain creative programs, others don't. There is really no "need to have" programs I can mention, since if you need it; you will already have it. 

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

5 minutes ago, Minibois said:

You upgrade the BIOS only when you need to IMO, like with improved memory support or when moving to another CPU platform on this board and you need to get the newest compatibilities.

Otherwise, there is really no need to do that, when all is running fine.

Furthermore, the command centers of your motherboard, GPU, etc. are quite optional IMO, as they are mostly there for RGB it seems. Control panels for mice, keyboard, etc. serve a similar purpose.

Otherwise drivers.. It's a similar story as with BIOS updates, except for GPU updates; which you should do quite regularly. On the Nvidia side, you can use GeForce experience and as an AMD user I can say I just update whenever to a stable version.

Other software is really up to personal preference.

For example, I like having monitoring program and such, others may not. You may need certain creative programs, others don't. There is really no "need to have" programs I can mention, since if you need it; you will already have it. 

Well, mainly. I'm talking about fan control software like with the msi command center.. I installed 4 new fans and 3 were running at like 1800rpm and the cpu fan wasn't running at all until it hit 40c.. And my mobo couldn't control it. So, I thought I needed a bios flash to be able to.. but turned out I just needed the software. which installed and "auto tuned" my fans. and finally I feel like I'm not going nuts sitting at the pc. I couldn't imagine someone thinking that's normal and using it that way. And I really can't believe how much nicer pwm moded fans are compaired to the old dc ones. I now have all case fans also running in pwm and on a fan curve. It's a beautiful thing.. That you wouldn't even think about unless you knew computers. It's how the cpu runs. but I think by default the case fans do not. It makes gaming better. interacting better. blah blah. I duno that was the BIG DEAL. for me building a computer. 

And whats crazy about all that is I never would have thought about how all that works until I bought a gpu.. cuz my gtx960 runs on a fan curve. not sure if its pwm actually. 

3 hours ago, nelska said:

Well, mainly. I'm talking about fan control software like with the msi command center.. I installed 4 new fans and 3 were running at like 1800rpm and the cpu fan wasn't running at all until it hit 40c.. And my mobo couldn't control it. So, I thought I needed a bios flash to be able to.. but turned out I just needed the software. which installed and "auto tuned" my fans. and finally I feel like I'm not going nuts sitting at the pc. I couldn't imagine someone thinking that's normal and using it that way. And I really can't believe how much nicer pwm moded fans are compaired to the old dc ones. I now have all case fans also running in pwm and on a fan curve. It's a beautiful thing.. That you wouldn't even think about unless you knew computers. It's how the cpu runs. but I think by default the case fans do not. It makes gaming better. interacting better. blah blah. I duno that was the BIG DEAL. for me building a computer. 

so basically you want a guide on how to control fan speed, even thou you figured it out. heres one jay did.

15 hours ago, mad dudy said:

so basically you want a guide on how to control fan speed, even thou you figured it out. heres one jay did.

I couldn't control that program at all. I duno, the fans didn't show up on the chart and I didn't wanna dig around for it you have to like download a log for your mobo or something and I didn't wanna f it up. lol

Motherboard manual has quick guide on related software, if thats what you are after. Speedfan is tricky, but there are guides to that too. Usually if you pay for something, you can use their help and other documentation files. Also when you pay for something, their support is at your assistance.

For BIOS reading motherboard manual and checking some overclocking guides is good start. And then just browsing in there and using integrated help functions.

Overall these things aren't that hard. They require some reading, and sometimes little testing. But thats what PCs are all about.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

1 hour ago, LogicalDrm said:

Motherboard manual has quick guide on related software, if thats what you are after. Speedfan is tricky, but there are guides to that too. Usually if you pay for something, you can use their help and other documentation files. Also when you pay for something, their support is at your assistance.

For BIOS reading motherboard manual and checking some overclocking guides is good start. And then just browsing in there and using integrated help functions.

Overall these things aren't that hard. They require some reading, and sometimes little testing. But thats what PCs are all about.

msi needs a registration to contact them or start a forum topic.. lol I through out all the boxes and stuff a year ago. lol. its a b250 pc mate and I cant use the bios to customize the fans just switches for pwm or dc. or smart mode yes/no. but if I use the command center im good. but it wont save. I have to restart the program and autotuned the fans when I boot up to get a decent fan control. I can save the settings but I always have to start the program everytime. 

30 minutes ago, nelska said:

msi needs a registration to contact them or start a forum topic..

If thats only thing what is required, thats rather small favor to ask for probably quality support.

lol I through out all the boxes and stuff a year ago. lol. its a b250 pc mate and I cant use the bios to customize the fans just switches for pwm or dc.

You can download manual from motherboards support site. I do that almost daily to help troubleshoot fan issues for others.

or smart mode yes/no. but if I use the command center im good. but it wont save. I have to restart the program and autotuned the fans when I boot up to get a decent fan control. I can save the settings but I always have to start the program everytime. 

Could be need for BIOS update. Sometimes that helps. With MSI its bit tricky and there's greater chance of bricking than what I've seen with Asus or Gigabyte.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

57 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

If thats only thing what is required, thats rather small favor to ask for probably quality support.

You can download manual from motherboards support site. I do that almost daily to help troubleshoot fan issues for others.

Could be need for BIOS update. Sometimes that helps. With MSI its bit tricky and there's greater chance of bricking than what I've seen with Asus or Gigabyte.

thanks yeh I flashed the bios but still no help. I also ty for the idea to read the manual that's probably online I can do that too. tbh tho its prob easier to research myself than sign up register and ask questions hahah

welp ur right.. I guess I just read the manual and to get to the advanced bios page you have to hit f7 in the bios. lol. woops. 

well... the manual itself is showing me a bios page that looks different than the one I have when I boot it up. any ideas? the f7 advanced settings didn't work haha do you have to install bios drivers?.. ive already flashed the mobo. 

Edit: nevermind I have the cheapo mobo bios. fuck my life.