RTX 2060 (non-super) for 1440p?

TheFriendlyHacker

I am helping a friend of mine get a new gaming PC. Their budget is $1000-$1500 (closer to $1000 ideally). They want to be able to game at 1440p, but are willing to settle for 1080p if necessary. Also, they are going to buy a pre-built (they aren't "tech savvy" enough to build from scratch).

I'm thinking of recommending an RTX 2060 GPU for them. But how well can that card perform at 1440p? What FPS could one expect with that card at that resolution?

And also, if you have a moment, what 1440p / 1080p monitor would you recommend (given the $1000-$1500 budget)?

Two years of IT experience. But at the end of the day: I dunno, I just work here Dave. 

1 minute ago, TheFriendlyHacker said:

I am helping a friend of mine get a new gaming PC. Their budget is $1000-$1500 (closer to $1000 ideally). They want to be able to game at 1440p, but are willing to settle for 1080p if necessary. Also, they are going to buy a pre-built (they aren't "tech savvy" enough to build from scratch).

I'm thinking of recommending an RTX 2060 GPU for them. But how well can that card perform at 1440p? What FPS could one expect with that card at that resolution?

And also, if you have a moment, what 1440p / 1080p monitor would you recommend (given the $1000-$1500 budget)?

Seeing as the 2060 is about as good or better than a 1070 with raytracing, I would say that you could get most games above 60 FPS at 1440p with ultra or high settings

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

You'd be somewhere between 45-65 fps in AAA games, depending which one.

I'd personally recommend getting a 1080p high refresh rate display. It's a much better gaming experience and much more noticeable than a higher resolution.

Here's a recommendation

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/4Hc48d/dell-s2419hgf-240-1920x1080-144-hz-monitor-s2419hgf

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

@LukeSavenije They already have a mouse and keyboard. Certain small things, like a mousepad and other minor accessories are not factored in, but that's easy enough to sort out afterwards.

As for CPU (I should have mentioned this initially), we aren't tied to Ryzen or Intel per se. Basically whichever one offers the best price for performance.

Two years of IT experience. But at the end of the day: I dunno, I just work here Dave. 

@LukeSavenije That's a pretty solid build! the only downside is that it does need to be a pre-built. 480GB of storage isn't that much, but it would only cost like $80 more to shove a 2TB HDD into that machine, so no big deal.

But yeah, the only downside to that is the fact that it's not pre-built.

As far as gaming goes, how do you suppose it would do at 1440p?

You will be OK with esports titles and less demanding stuff, but just be aware stuff like shadow of the tomb raider, witcher 3, big AAA titles etc will probably have trouble keeping up at 60 fps.  

El Zoido:  9900k + RTX 4090 / 32 gb 3600mHz RAM / z390 Aorus Master 

The Box:  3900x + RTX 3080 /  32 gb 3000mHz RAM / B550 MSI mortar 

19 minutes ago, TheFriendlyHacker said:

downside is that it does need to be a pre-built.

a lot of retailers and local shops offer building for like 50-75 bucks, that might be a good option

@LukeSavenije Ah, I hadn't considered that. I'll check with my friend and see if it's an option!