RX 570 not going to 100% usage

Migas114

So recently I bought a RX 570 4GB to swap with my GT 630 4GB.
Once I installed the drivers I went to try out some games and the results seemed odd because the performance didn't seem what it should have been.
I look at the GPU usage that MSI Afterburner showed and the graph was a bunch of spikes in usage.
Seeing this I went to Task Manager and looked at the GPU there and it would be always at 50% causing game to have lower FPS than I was expecting and to stutter!
I also looked at the CPU usage and in most game it isn't close to 100%, so I believe that something is wrong with the GPU since with my older GPU this didn't happen.
I thought I should also mention that my PC shutdown and started right up when I was in Far Cry 4 testing ultra settings and actually getting the GPU usage up to 70% while the FPS's never got higher than 60.
My CPU is an i3 2130 3.4GHz

Seems like a CPU bottleneck.

The i3 2130 is a pretty old dual core CPU.

I also thought of that possibility but the CPU usage never got close to 100%.

What is the Power Supply's watt rating? Sounds like it's 300 watts to 400 watts. Especially since you had a GT630 which is a 49 watt part that has a minimum required PSU of 300 watts.

The system should never reboot by itself when gaming. It should crash the application or graphics card driver but not hard reboot.

Also since you had an old GT 630 you should do a install of your drivers with DDU.

Well, on the PSU is statted that the "max" is 500w but I still believe that the shutdown had to be PSU related. In relation to the low usage I believe it has to be something else

12 minutes ago, Migas114 said:

Well, on the PSU is statted that the "max" is 500w but I still believe that the shutdown had to be PSU related. In relation to the low usage I believe it has to be something else

I'd take a picture of the sticker to see how much power delivery the thing has. Could be a no-name, not reputable brand from China that cuts corners in power delivery. Also the product info of the power supply would help.

---

https://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/requirements/far-cry-4/12380

The game's minimum requirements is a 4 core / 4 thread CPU. I would suspect the game's software expects more cores and threads to work with rather than a duo core.

Try a different game that runs on older hardware and see if you can 100% the CPU.

Edit: 60 FPS cap? Did you turn off V-Sync? Is Radeon Chill being utilized in Radeon Settings/Radeon Overlay?

The thing is that it does that on other games.
Assassin's Creed 4 is another one but so I would get an extreme case... The same happens on Minecraft.
I tried it because it's not really a demanding game. I get a lot of sutters and the fps and not really high (at least as high as they should be but still over 100fps).
On Sniper Ghost Warrior 2 I can get 70-80fps on ultra and with the GPU usage hitting 70% while the CPU is just there chilling in the 50-60% range.

The PSU is a no brand basically. It came with the PC's case back in 2011. It is a "built" pc but not by me at the time and it was only 350€ so yeah...

Regarding V-Sync, no I don't have it on. On Minecraft I can have it running of Window mode and still have over 100fps

About the drivers. I just uninstalled the Nvidia one's and went to the AMD website and installed them from there

PSU.PNG

That's at most a 250W capable power supply. Pretty much garbage.

Either way that CPU wont keep up with that RX and will bottleneck the living hell out of it

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

It's very likely the CPU is still causing a bottleneck on that GPU. Low CPU utilization is not a very good indicator that you don't have a bottleneck for the following reasons:

• Some games do not issue enough threads on average over a second to sufficiently fill the processor. For example, older games may peg one CPU core and so it'll make it look like your CPU isn't being used as much. If a game doesn't have more than say four threads available to run on average over a second, then having something more than a four-core processor will provide little benefit.
  • Hyperthreading may mean the processor can handle four threads, but it doesn't mean it can handle four threads from the same application all the time. It's about how those threads use the CPU core's resources. So if the application is issuing threads that require say more than 50% of the CPU core's resources (whatever those may be), then Hyperthreading provides no benefit for that application because the CPU core doesn't have enough resources to spare to service the other thread.

2 hours ago, Migas114 said:

PSU.PNG

Okay, so here's the thing you should know:

The CPU + GPU + Motherboard and other power hungry parts (most items that use Motherboard power like case fans) usually share the "+12V1" or "+12V" section of PSU railing.

Your "+12V" or in this case "+12V1" rail is rated for 180W (12 Volts multiplied by 15 Amperage.) That means you are limited to 180W between your CPU + GPU combo (in theory) without tripping OCP (OverCurrent Protection), 192W if you want to use the "12V2" section for arguments sake.

----

Your RX 570 is rated to use 150W when its being fully utilized. Your CPU is rated to use 65 Watts at its rated base clock of 3.40 Ghz. Between those two you are looking at ~215 Watts at load without any overclocking to the GPU.

At load you are pulling 215 Watts sustained out of the maximum (180/192) Watts the PSU (+12V1/+12V2) railing can supply. Gaming spikes your power usage at times to 265 Watts, probably where you would see your PSU shut off and reboot your computer if it hasn't done so immediately.

You definitely want to upgrade your questionable, no named Power Supply ASAP if you want to use that RX 570. That or step down your GPU to a ~75w card (i.e. 1050Ti or RX 560.)

You are probably using a pre-built PC from a while back, with the expectation of upgrading the Graphics card to get a better gaming experience. Perhaps for yourself or your child. I bought a pre-built a couple years ago and swapped out the power supply ASAP.

----

For example, this is my current PSU:

The +12V is 42 Amperage (12 times 42 = 504 Watts), which limits my CPU + GPU to around say--- 300 to 375 Watts total. This gives 125-200 watts for my other power hungry parts to use.

I am running an Intel i5 6402p and an RX 580 8GB Reference.

My i5 draws 65w and my RX 580 draws 185 Watts. Total of 250 watts or so at load, with a 250 watt of headroom for the rest of the PC to use (Motherboard, Case fans, Hard Drives, Solid State Drives, Peripherals, etc.)

PSU.jpg