Feedback about a day to day use PC

Den_beau

Hey guys, 

So I wan't to build a budget pc for my parents for normal day to day use. They use it for their work (like word, email, ect), web browsing and sorting their pictures, but that needs to go fast. They do not like waiting on programs to open.

I've already made a part list and want some feedback on it.

Here's my list.

Things to note:

- I'm going to use the stock CPU cooler

- I'm not going to use a graphics card, I think that the build in GPU good enough is for them

- I don't need a monitor, mouse or keyboard 

- Same for OS

What do you all think?

-no need for high end psu here

-case has pretty bad airflow, not a big deal here though, since the cpu won't probably ever be under load for long periods of time

8 minutes ago, _d0nut said:

-no need for high end psu here

-case has pretty bad airflow, not a big deal here though, since the cpu won't probably ever be under load for long periods of time

Also, might wanna get a bigger SSD if they don’t like waiting on programs, so they can put the ones that take a while to start on the SSD. 

30 minutes ago, Den_beau said:

Hey guys, 

So I wan't to build a budget pc for my parents for normal day to day use. They use it for their work (like word, email, ect), web browsing and sorting their pictures, but that needs to go fast. They do not like waiting on programs to open.

I've already made a part list and want some feedback on it.

Here's my list.

Things to note:

- I'm going to use the stock CPU cooler

- I'm not going to use a graphics card, I think that the build in GPU good enough is for them

- I don't need a monitor, mouse or keyboard 

- Same for OS

What do you all think?

-Go for a better case with more airflow

-500 GB SSD

-PSU is too much for this build

-Maybe a 1x 8gb is cheaper

@Den_beau, A Better, cheaper, build:

I lurk 

HP Spectre x360 13t late 2019
Core i5 1035g4
8gb ram
256GB NVME SSD
HP 24mh FHD Monitor 

OnePlus 5
Jabra evolve 75
Razer Blackwidow Lite

Steelseries Rival 3

With a higher IPC and turbo clock the i3-9100 is a better choice for the use case. Will have to verify BIOS version on the motherboard, but the cpu has been out long enough that it shouldn't be an issue.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i3-9100 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($122.99 @ B&H) 
Motherboard: MSI B360M PRO-VD Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($67.89 @ OutletPC) 
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-2666 Memory  ($38.99 @ Adorama) 
Storage: Intel 660p Series 1.02 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($94.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: Rosewill FBM-06 MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($29.99 @ Newegg Business) 
Power Supply: Corsair CX (2017) 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($44.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $399.84
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-08-08 15:19 EDT-0400

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

19 hours ago, brob said:

With a higher IPC and turbo clock the i3-9100 is a better choice for the use case. Will have to verify BIOS version on the motherboard, but the cpu has been out long enough that it shouldn't be an issue.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i3-9100 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($122.99 @ B&H) 
Motherboard: MSI B360M PRO-VD Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($67.89 @ OutletPC) 
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-2666 Memory  ($38.99 @ Adorama) 
Storage: Intel 660p Series 1.02 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($94.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: Rosewill FBM-06 MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($29.99 @ Newegg Business) 
Power Supply: Corsair CX (2017) 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($44.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $399.84
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-08-08 15:19 EDT-0400

the cpu won't be at max performance anyway, IPC difference is minimal and shouldn't matter. Doubt the CPU would touch turbo that often too. Think the lower price of 3200G would be more suited here

1 hour ago, _d0nut said:

the cpu won't be at max performance anyway, IPC difference is minimal and shouldn't matter. Doubt the CPU would touch turbo that often too. Think the lower price of 3200G would be more suited here

I don't see any basis for these assertions. They are in fact slightly contradictory. If the cpu is not loaded, it will be running at its highest clock, i.e. it would turbo. If the cpu is loaded then it will be reaching its max performance.

Given that the Intel build is less expensive I fail to see how the actual cpu cost is relevant.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.