any idea why my gpu has 4gb vram but only uses 3500mhz of it?

nelska

Short simple sweet. gtx960ssc. does it just by default not use the full capacity? thanks. also.. total available graphics memory:12267mb.. Where is that random number coming from? does my gtx960 have 12gb of core clock speed? or... i duno my pc has 16gb of ram. so im confused here. thanks. im confused cuz i looked around and 12gb of total available graphics memory seems high. for even a 1080. thanks.

where are you finding the total graphics memory number from? maybe its some sort of reporting bug

Just now, spartaman64 said:

maybe its factoring in your ram also because if i remember correctly if the video memory fills up it puts it in the ram

this is why im a bit perturbed because.. i have 16gb of ram not 12. lol.

Just now, nelska said:

this is why im a bit perturbed because.. i have 16gb of ram not 12. lol.

its probably subtracting the ram already being used

Just now, spartaman64 said:

its probably subtracting the ram already being used

the only thing i can think of is 16gb ram-4gb virtual ram. lol but it makes NO SENSE. lol.

Just now, nelska said:

the only thing i can think of is 16gb ram-4gb virtual ram. lol but it makes NO SENSE. lol.

IIRC windows by default will allocate some amount of ram as an overflow for your VRAM. In this case, I think it's allocating half of your system ram which would be 8 gigs, and 8 gigs plus 4 gigs equals 12 gigs. 

M1 MacBook Air 256/8 | iPhone 13 pro

Just now, RGProductions said:

IIRC windows by default will allocate some amount of ram as an overflow for your VRAM. In this case, I think it's allocating half of your system ram which would be 8 gigs, and 8 gigs plus 4 gigs equals 12 gigs. 

ohhhh, ok. i actually didnt know that. so im glad i have 16gb ram then. which should be plenty..

For example, I have 8 gigs of ram, and a GPU with 8 gigs of VRAM. my task manager shows this, in that i also have 12 gigs, but 8 are dedicated and 4 are shared by windows, so it is allowing up to 4 gigs to be used as VRAM. Check what yours says in task manager. 

Screenshot (38).png

1 minute ago, nelska said:

ohhhh, ok. i actually didnt know that. so im glad i have 16gb ram then. which should be plenty..

yeah, as long as your FPS are good, it's pretty safe to just ignore what windows tells you about things like this most of the time. 

Just now, nelska said:

yep! That's exactly what's expected, your GPU has 4 gigs of dedicated ram, and windows is allocating half your system ram as an overflow. 

Just now, nelska said:

mines swapped 4gb dedicated and 8 shared...  i didnt know my gpu had a memory over a vram. i didnt even know it was measured. thanks why dont they say it when buying gpus? they prob do i havnt paid attention i got lucky and just bought the highest available 960 i could .ect

7 minutes ago, RGProductions said:

For example, I have 8 gigs of ram, and a GPU with 8 gigs of VRAM. my task manager shows this, in that i also have 12 gigs, but 8 are dedicated and 4 are shared by windows, so it is allowing up to 4 gigs to be used as VRAM. Check what yours says in task manager. 

Screenshot (38).png

you should get more ram. at least 12.. 16!

4 minutes ago, nelska said:

mines swapped 4gb dedicated and 8 shared...  i didnt know my gpu had a memory over a vram. i didnt even know it was measured. thanks why dont they say it when buying gpus? they prob do i havnt paid attention i got lucky and just bought the highest available 960 i could .ect

memory and VRAM are interchangeable words when talking about GPUs for the most part. Yeah, GPUs definitely advertise their VRAM amounts. 

Just now, nelska said:

you should get more ram. at least 12.. 16!

I actually used to have 16, but it was a bunch of mixed ram that only ran at slow speeds and crashed a lot, I plan to get a new kit soon. 

pretty sure that number is irrelevant as that is basically the vram speed or frequency and not a nominal number for vram usage. 

yeh i wasnt understanding anything at total available graphics memory. i know my core clock goes up to about 1250mhz? i believe.

1 minute ago, rice guru said:

nope different for every gpu I have 6 on my 1060

how is there so much more on a 960 than there is on a 1080 lol.

1 minute ago, nelska said:

you only have 4 gigs of vram on your 960 and a 1080 has 8 gbs...

3 minutes ago, nelska said:

yeh i wasnt understanding anything at total available graphics memory. i know my core clock goes up to about 1250mhz? i believe.

thats clock speed not takat number on your title and thats your vram chip clock speeds

2 minutes ago, nelska said:

Additionally, if you put the 1080 in your system it would show as 16 gigs where you are seeing 12

Just now, RGProductions said:

Additionally, if you put the 1080 in your system it would show as 16 gigs where you are seeing 12

wait how would it show 16?