LTX 2020 - Creator Scrapyard Wars Idea

JasonNalley

In watching someone else's video coverage of LTX 2019, I was inspired with an idea.

You guys could, as rolling advertisement, across all of the tech creator channels, run a Scrapyard Wars, that culminates at LTX 2020, and the crowd decides the winner.

So, each Creator interested in attending and taking part in the challenge would have a budget.  They would document their searches for tech, and put together a build in a series of episodes for the 6 months leading up to the event.  Everyone would title their video "LTX 2020 Scrapyard Wars - Episode 1/2/3/etc".   They bring those PC's to LTX 2020, where there's an unveiling segment, this gives the crowd an initial full unveiling, and then a period where they're on display for the crowd to take a closer look.  Lastly, you have the awards ceremony, where the crowd casts votes in some manner (either by crowd noise, or maybe even during the closer look segment they drop tokens into a bin, each token cast is a vote for that machine.)  And you award a winner in front of the crowd.

Could be a great idea... Maybe refine it some :)

The scenario is not as stringent (and therefor competitive) as Linus likes it to be.

In this scenario, people will just vote for their favorite creator's PC, and someone can just lie about the costs (or live in a cheaper area). It also gives the name Scrapyard Wars to other creators, even though it is Linus' career-long content fodder. That's not fair to Linus.

28 minutes ago, Cypher-Jackson said:

The scenario is not as stringent (and therefor competitive) as Linus likes it to be.

In this scenario, people will just vote for their favorite creator's PC, and someone can just lie about the costs (or live in a cheaper area). It also gives the name Scrapyard Wars to other creators, even though it is Linus' career-long content fodder. That's not fair to Linus.

It can be as stringent/competitive as one makes it...  There is little accountability, sure, but if everything is documented and sent to LMG, it's just as accountable as Scrapyard Wars...  

Voting for favorite creator's PC is bound to happen, sure.  It doesn't detract from the fact that with such a large voting pool, most people may vote with integrity rather than popularity.  We vote for presidency using the same mantra, it's not perfect, but it works.

The economic differences of any given area COULD be overcome, as there is actually time to order things from outside your area, via outlets such as eBay and other marketplaces that have sending mechanisms.

It doesn't necessarily GIVE them the name "Scrapyard Wars".  It allows the USE of Scrapyard Wars for this current run of videos.  Contracts can be made as such when asking competitors to join.  This is not a difficult hurdle to overcome.

Sounds like a cool idea, but like stated above, people probably wouldn't vote for the best PC...unless it was a blind vote. Then it might work. Also, everyone competing would be flown out to Vancouver a few days/weeks early to buy and build the PCs.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

I would love to see Lyle from Bitwit & Jay come back to be on Scrapyard Wars. We don't see enough of Lyle and having him in a season would be amazing.

Rules for season 8:

1. $1,000 USD Budget

2. No time restrictions during the day (all pickup times allowed)

3. RGB (Must be lighting, not tape or paint)

4. Travel expenses don't come from PC budget

5. Buying options limited to Craigslist, Offer Up, & Let Go ( No Retail Stores)

I have been building PCs for over 30 years so if you have any questions please ask. For Future Communication I use Discord for much Faster Response Times as I have it open 24/7. I am also available if you need help before, during, or after the Build Process on Discord through Text,Voice, or Video Chat. I can be with you while you build your new PC if you need me to be. Here is my Discord: Wizardsnapper#2772

But for insanity they can only pick up items from people in full Scooby Doo cosplay.

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.