Why Nvidia is so expensive?

KapnKlaus

Anyone have any ideas why Nvidia is so expensive compared to AMD? (besides the fact they have some proprietary tech)

the AMD RX580 8GB beats the 1060 6GB in several categories (according to userbenchmark) and costs significantly less, not to mention the fact it has 2GB more VRAM.

It's also a newer chip and I think has a lower nm count?

When you compare the 580 to the 1070, the 1070 beats it significantly but also costs significantly more.

Why does Nvidia not offer something comparable in price to performance to AMD?

12 minutes ago, KapnKlaus said:

If nvidia did, AMD will be dead pretty much. AMD has always targeted lower profit margin than pretty much everyone in electronics in order to compensate for their bad past and cost to their rep. Note that the RX 580 is technologically still worse than the 1060, drawing more power for its comparable performance. Global Foundaries is also probably cheaper than Samsung to employ for the manufacturing.

ccording to userbenchmark

they are only comparable in reality.

2GB more VRAM.

GDDR5 is cheap now, basically left over stock since new cards use GDDR6 or HBM2

also a newer chip

doesn't matter, tech inside isn't better

I think has a lower nm count?

nm count is simply a name. They have long stopped representing an actual dimension in the process node

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

11 minutes ago, KapnKlaus said:

It's also a newer chip and I think has a lower nm count?

Smaller number does not mean better.

They dont need to. Also the sorta do.....

Yeah there alot of reasons to justify the value. Alot of amd fanboys will hate it but they really dont even compete for the same market ever. If amd had a physx and solid nvenc alternative that worked then yeah they could be closer compared but those features alone although not used by everyone are enough to justify prob a $100 dif also even though amd may win some games over nvidia in fps more often then not the lows are worse on amd so amd may peak much higher in some games which makes your "avg" look great but in my experience buying the cards and using them amd drops to much further lows which is way more jarring while gaming (imagine going 120mph then dropping to 30mph vs going around 100mph and maybe dropping to 60 you will still notice both but i garaute the drop of 90mph will shake you up much more than a drop of 40mph, thats what your frames do and it gets even worse for both sides in SLI/Xfire setups). Amd has its place and more often then not its for people who are not looking for the best quality just the best "bang for buck" or cheapest thing that can do just what they need. Also amd refreshes its cards way to often the 480 and 580 are just bios updates so dont think amd doesnt cost more they are just better at hiding where they keep their profit margin. Nvidia makes great hardware and amd is just maybe maybe getting back into the swing but they do not manufacture their own hardware so licensing cost for warehouse time vs actually owning a production facility make a big difference. 
Its like hand crafted bugatti vs production formula ford/chevy insert mass prod car company here. You get a product by amd which is not bad but in real world in every aspect it will NOT be the same quality nor offer the same features. Best way to look at buying a gfx card is do you PERSONALLY want what it offers if not look elsewhere. But besides the low low end of gfx card which amd is lucky there is a lull in performance demand in games amd does not make anything high end and imho most thier gfx cards will be outdated if not by release date but within a couple years without constant refresh. So while a rx 470 might not be worth considering today a gtx 1070 is still a solid investment at a similar price point.

Same question to why Intel is more expensive.

Many factors to pricing, one of it is product lineup.

Nvidia has more tiers than AMD, from the cheap 1030 Corolla to the most expensive 2080ti Testarosa / Titan Aventador.

AMD only have RX560 - 590 (only mid range), Vega 54-64 (mid), Radeon 7 (high & limited).

Gone the days when AMD is experimental with Dual GPU in a card or Liquid cooling.

Everybody wants Rarri or a Lambo, even though they can only afford a scion.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

Because features and costs vary.  Why are AEG tools more expensive than Makita?  Why are BMW's more expensive than Mazda? why does my white shirt always look dirty?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

1 hour ago, KapnKlaus said:

the AMD RX580 8GB beats the 1060 6GB in several categories (according to userbenchmark)

Pretty much only in terms of price.

When you look at the stats that count (FPS in games) the Nvidia card is consistently 10FPS better than the AMD card or equal. In the one game where AMD wins (witcher 3) it's a much smaller gap. If user benchmark is correct the 1060 is the better real world card.

Nvidia for the past few years had minimal competition in the gaming GPU area, especially in high end cards, so they were allowed to price things as they want

Radeon is nice and all but at the end of the day Nvidia just controlls the entire high end gaming GPU market

On 8/2/2019 at 3:29 AM, FlappyBoobs said:

Pretty much only in terms of price.

When you look at the stats that count (FPS in games) the Nvidia card is consistently 10FPS better than the AMD card or equal. In the one game where AMD wins (witcher 3) it's a much smaller gap. If user benchmark is correct the 1060 is the better real world card.

My 570 cost me $119 so I think price/performance it's way more worth it to get a 570 or 580.

If I wanted top of the line but with less VRAM and pay way more I'd choose Nvidia.

Its alot easier to match nvidia's performance because amd does it months/years later when the manufacturing things are cheaper like VRAM

1060 came out in august 2016 VS the 580 which came out in april 2017 a full 8 month's for similar performance at a cheaper price

10 hours ago, KapnKlaus said:

My 570 cost me $119 so I think price/performance it's way more worth it to get a 570 or 580.

If I wanted top of the line but with less VRAM and pay way more I'd choose Nvidia.

It's all relative. Some people are happy with a Toyota and can't understand why anyone would "waste money" on a BMW or an AUDI. Others can see why people would choose them but don't personally think its worth it. And some will just think that if the "luxury option" is affordable to them then why the hell not! 

Then there are those that can't have anything but a supercar, and those people have multiple Titan cards. 

11 hours ago, SpiralTTGL said:

Its alot easier to match nvidia's performance because amd does it months/years later when the manufacturing things are cheaper like VRAM

1060 came out in august 2016 VS the 580 which came out in april 2017 a full 8 month's for similar performance at a cheaper price

Good point! Having worked in sales and studying a bit about marketing I can see that AMD is the performance brand and Nvidia is the luxury brand... Their brand identity revolves around it and since there are only 2 players (much like Intel and AMD) it makes sense one of them had to end up the value brand.

1 hour ago, FlappyBoobs said:

It's all relative. Some people are happy with a Toyota and can't understand why anyone would "waste money" on a BMW or an AUDI. Others can see why people would choose them but don't personally think its worth it. And some will just think that if the "luxury option" is affordable to them then why the hell not! 

Then there are those that can't have anything but a supercar, and those people have multiple Titan cards. 

Funny you say that... I used to have a really luxurious SUV and got rid of it for a much simpler Toyota (with better gas mileage).

I'm a fan of less-is-more philosophy unless it comes to VRAM in which case I want the most for the best price.