windows 10 on a mac?

superchicken55

so, i was recently given an old 2009 imac, the previous owner took out the hard drive so i installed a new one. but i don't have a copy of os x to put on it. so i was wondering if it would be possible to instal windows 10 instead? i have a usb with the windows installation media but when i try to use it, it goes to a windows recovery screen with error code 0xc00000f and restarts a few seconds later. now i have a imac and can't use it. any suggestions?

that or create a account on apple, then download the iso, or find it by searching on google

Mac doesn’t have bios so you need to use boot camp through OSX to instal windows 10. Once you do you can set it as the default boot option. I would just take it to an apple store to get an OS X installed. If you know anyone with a Mac you can download the OS on their Mac to get it instead.

1 minute ago, Sorenson said:

I would just take it to an apple store to get an OS X installed.

how much would that be though? the nearest apple store is like an hour away and i want to make sure it would be worth it befow i make the trip.

2 minutes ago, superchicken55 said:

how much would that be though? the nearest apple store is like an hour away and i want to make sure it would be worth it befow i make the trip.

I’m not sure I would just call apple tech support to find the best option. 

Hey,

If Im not mistaken then your iMac might be able to do internet recovery: when turning on hold down cmnd + option + r

It should install whatever os it was shipped with... but it would probably be very old... and then updating...

Otherwise, a better solution is to download and make a bootable installer usb on another pc:

1. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMac_(Intel-based)#Unibody_iMac <- find your model, and check the latest compatible OS

2. google how to make a bootable usb with it

Installation itself should be very straight forward, (did the same with 2 2009 MBPs)

Then do the bootcamp/windows install.

However, if I remember correctly, you would have to do some EXTRA work to make win10 work with older macs...

Internet Recovery probably will not work on a 2009 iMac, it was introduced later.

That said, you can get a DMG.  I'm sure there are torrents out there from reputable places that host the OS X Installer images.

Home PC: Apple M1 Mini, 16gb, 1TB, 10Gig-E.  Adobe CC and Ripping things + Daily stuff.

Gaming PC: Ryzen 7 5800x, 32GB, Nvidia RTX 3080Ti stuffed into a Corsair 380T.

Asgard the FreeNAS Plex Server: AMD EPYC 7443p 24 Core, SuperMicro H12SSL-CT Mobo, 256GB DDR4 3200mhz, Norco 4224 Rack Mount. 100TB+ TrueNAS Core.

Toys:

2017 Focus RS | Frozen White | Daily Driver

1989 Pontiac TransAm | GM Triple White | Heads/Cammed LT1 + T56 swap | Suspension goodies up the wazoo. | HPDE Weekend Warrior toy.

Update: I have decided to just buy a snow leopard instal disk from apple. thank you everyone for all of your help!