Alibaba Group releases AI/IoT RISC-V chip

off wave surfer

Alibaba Group’s chip subsidiary, Pingtouge Semiconductor, has announced a RISC-V based processor, the Xuantie 910, that will be used to target infrastructure for artificial intelligence (AI), 5G, and internet of things (IoT) as well as autonomous vehicles.

The processor is said to achieve 7.1 Coremark/MHz at a frequency of 2.5GHz on a 12nm process node, which would make it 40% more powerful than any RISC-V processor produced to date.

40% more powerful than any other RISC-V chip is an impressive gain, it'll be interesting to see how the rest of the industry reacts to this.

However, I doubt the chip will make it out of China as from the article it sounds like the chip is intended solely for the Chinese market.

This is a significant move as it will enable local companies to access locally developed processor architectures at a time when accessing U.S. technology is increasingly difficult.

From the rest of the article it sounds like there's been some serious effort put into the design regarding instruction pipelines and bundling of instruction sets. Not to mention the fact that they're confident enough to release the relevant code as open-source on GitHub.

Personally, I'm not going to comment on the availability of U.S. technology in China.

Aside from that I'm pretty excited about the future of RISC-V chips, if enough companies get behind it then this could be the norm for SoCs. Although I doubt RISC-V will ever push Intel/AMD etc out of the high-end or mainstream consumer market.

Source: http://www.newelectronics.co.uk/electronics-news/alibaba-unveils16-core-risc-v-chip/217877/

12nm?Sounds like it was manufactured in taiwan/korea. 

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

I am plenty hyped for RISC-V, nice to see more powerful chips

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Even Alibaba will soon overtake Intel with their node processes.