I cannot access network drive through switch

maplepecan

I have a network drive connected to my home's network and I have a cable going from the modem/router combo to a router being used as a switch. When I plug my computer directly into my home's network, I can access the network drive, but when I plug it into the switch I cannot access it but I can access the internet. I have noticed that the ip addresses are different but I don't know if that matters.

1 minute ago, maplepecan said:

I have a network drive connected to my home's network and I have a cable going from the modem/router combo to a router being used as a switch. When I plug my computer directly into my home's network, I can access the network drive, but when I plug it into the switch I cannot access it. I have noticed that the ip addresses are different but I don't know if that matters. 

What exactly is this "home network"?

Starting from where the connection enters the house, there's usually a modem or a fiber optic box  and then a modem. What happens from that point onward?

It seems to me the secondary router, the one being used as a switch, still has DHCP enabled. You need to put the router in bridge mode and disable DHCP.

Once that's done, the modem should be the one handling routing, DHCP and DNS, which fixes your problem.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

8 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

Starting from where the connection enters the house, there's usually a modem or a fiber optic box  and then a modem. What happens from that point onward?

It seems to me the secondary router, the one being used as a switch, still has DHCP enabled. You need to put the router in bridge mode and disable DHCP.

Once that's done, the modem should be the one handling routing, DHCP and DNS, which fixes your problem.

home network is the network from the modem/router combo from the service provider

I get the connection from dsl which connects to a modem/router combo then there is an ethernet cable going from the modem/router combo to the secondary router being used as a switch that is connected to my computer.

I cannot find bridge mode

sorry if I am not making any sense

11 minutes ago, maplepecan said:

home network is the network from the modem/router combo from the service provider

I get the connection from dsl which connects to a modem/router combo then there is an ethernet cable going from the modem/router combo to the secondary router being used as a switch that is connected to my computer.

I cannot find bridge mode

sorry if I am not making any sense

don't use the wan port on the second router. I think your doing dual nat.

22 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

Im really lost

25 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

5 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Thank you 

2 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Yep. Always go LAN to LAN and disable DHCP and it should be good to go.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro