QC issues with the xps series

everyone says that the xps 15 has QC issues. is it really that common? what sort of issues arise? I am planning to buy one for college. should I get 4 years of warranty with that?

Their design is very dated and not up to modern standards. It suffers from throttling, both power and thermal, has doc latency issues still and the price tag is absurd. If you need a GPU, look at the Lenovo X1 Extreme. If you don't, a ThinkPad T480s or T490s is what I'd get.

36 minutes ago, Saksham said:

everyone says that the xps 15 has QC issues. is it really that common? what sort of issues arise? I am planning to buy one for college. should I get 4 years of warranty with that?

I had the XPS 15 9570 a few months back but I bought from HIDevolution and had them upgrade the thermal paste to keep the temps in check. The benefit of buying a laptop from a boutique shop is their quality control and extra checks that they perform before sending you a laptop.

There is also the new XPS 7590 which according to Mr. Frank Azor's Ex-CEO has fixed some issues which were in the previous model such as, they moved the webcam back to the top where it belongs rather than the bottom and they fixed the DPC Latency issues.

What I loved most about the laptop was its build quality and the 4K screen was super bright and clear. Thanks to it being a glossy screen (if you go for the touch screen models) as I personally hate anti-glare screens because they are not as vibrant and bright. Also, its battery life was insane for the amount of power that it packs, it gave me 7-9 hours of battery life depending on my usage, I had the model with the 90WHr battery

Alienware m16 R1 | AMD Ryzen 9 7945HX | SK Hynix 64 GB 5200 MHz DDR5 RAM | GeForce RTX 4090 16 GB GDDR6 | 16" QHD+ (2560 x 1600) 240Hz, 3ms 300-nits Screen | 2x Samsung 990 PRO 4TB SSDs + WD_BLACK SN770M 2TB SSD | Intel Wi-Fi 6E AX210 | Windows 11 Pro

1 minute ago, 5x5 said:

the price tag is absurd. If you need a GPU, look at the Lenovo X1 Extreme.

excuse me but wtf.... the extreme is 2k and the xps is 1500. 

you got it the wrong way buddy.

I can undervolt the laptop. ezpz

Just now, Saksham said:

I had a -125mV Undervolt on my XPS 15 9570 and had the thermal paste upgraded by HIDevolution to Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut and the temps were decent especially considering how thin and light the laptop is.

Alienware m16 R1 | AMD Ryzen 9 7945HX | SK Hynix 64 GB 5200 MHz DDR5 RAM | GeForce RTX 4090 16 GB GDDR6 | 16" QHD+ (2560 x 1600) 240Hz, 3ms 300-nits Screen | 2x Samsung 990 PRO 4TB SSDs + WD_BLACK SN770M 2TB SSD | Intel Wi-Fi 6E AX210 | Windows 11 Pro

Just now, Saksham said:

What configuration are you looking at? It starts at a similar price to the XPS.

Undervolting doesn't fix the VRM practically melting off the boars. Serioualy, your money, your problems I guess.

Just now, 5x5 said:

What configuration are you looking at? It starts at a similar price to the XPS.

Undervolting doesn't fix the VRM practically melting off the boars. Serioualy, your money, your problems I guess.

xps i7 config is 1500ish

x1 config with i7 is 2000ish

Just now, Saksham said:

xps i7 config is 1500ish

x1 config with i7 is 2000ish

What country and or store are you looking at??? It starts at 1850 on the Lenovo site and can be found cheaper or with student discounts from Lenovo

11 minutes ago, Saksham said:

exactly... STARTS at 1800. i7 config is 2000.

Look at the other links, the i7 config with a 1TB NVMe SSD and 16GB RAM is 1700...

24 minutes ago, Saksham said:

https://deals.dell.com/en-us/mpp/productdetail/2soy

still 500 cheaper. I can get onsite warranty then and it will still be cheaper.

ThinkPads all come with on-site warranty from what I know.

Then, this is the 9570, not the 7590 - so it has all the unresolved issues left hanging.

Also - you only get 25% of the storage (256GB vs 1TB), you get an objectively worse thermal solution with VRMs reaching 120*C under load without thermal pads on them, causing the CPU to drop to 1.6GHz. Undervolting does NOT fix this as the problem is the VRM thermals which skyrocket due to no cooling on them whatsoever. (look up the mods involving putting pads on them to keep them at 100*c under load so that they don't blow up), DPC latency issues and more. But it's your money, your decision and your repercussions to deal with. Just don't be surprised when it has issues.