Razer Blade Stealth 2019 with E-GPU question

I am thinking of buying a Razer Blade Stealth 2019, however I am not sure if Razer requires you to use their Razer Core E-GPU enclosure, or if it will support any enclosure? I know its just thunderbolt but laptop manufacturers have done stupid things like this before.

Sorry if this is a stupid question I just cant find reliable information on this.

it'll work with any e-gpu, but it's a waste of money. starts at $1399? for that price you can get a better equipped laptop with built-in gpu and better upgrade-ability.

razer products are hit or miss anyways, so it's a toss up whether or not you get a fully functional product out of the box. I bought RBS (kaby lake) a few years ago and it's been nothing but issues. first the battery expanded while charging overnight. they replaced it free of charge, but it took 3 weeks from them sending me a shipping label to having the laptop back in my hands. after I got it back, it worked for about a month before I had issues with the USB ports. one of them doesn't provide enough power to devices and the other has intermittent connection issues. (mouse will randomly disconnect and have to be hot-plugged to regain connection) Then my webcam completely stopped working, like won't even show up in device manager. I've done everything possible on my end to fix the issue, but nothing worked, and guess what? I'm outside of the warranty window. so now i'm stuck with a laptop that basically does jack and sits on my desk as a paperweight

do yourself a favor and give up on any hope you had for razer and their laptops. they make decent mice/keyboards, sometimes, but pretty much everything else is a wash.   .

Advanced issues found

2 minutes ago, snoopunit said:

do yourself a favor and give up on any hope you had for razer and their laptops. they make decent mice/keyboards, sometimes, but pretty much everything else is a wash.   .

I heard their toasters are okay...

Razer-Toaster-658x370-bd36a48e0c67c98f.j

1 minute ago, snoopunit said:

it'll work with any e-gpu, but it's a waste of money. starts at $1399? for that price you can get a better equipped laptop with built-in gpu and better upgrade-ability.

razer products are hit or miss anyways, so it's a toss up whether or not you get a fully functional product out of the box. I bought RBS (kaby lake) a few years ago and it's been nothing but issues. first the battery expanded while charging overnight. they replaced it free of charge, but it took 3 weeks from them sending me a shipping label to having the laptop back in my hands. after I got it back, it worked for about a month before I had issues with the USB ports. one of them doesn't provide enough power to devices and the other has intermittent connection issues. (mouse will randomly disconnect and have to be hot-plugged to regain connection) Then my webcam completely stopped working, like won't even show up in device manager. I've done everything possible on my end to fix the issue, but nothing worked, and guess what? I'm outside of the warranty window. so now i'm stuck with a laptop that basically does jack and sits on my desk as a paperweight

The main reason I like this laptop is actually specifically because is has very light graphics on board yet isn't Intel HD and has a large battery.. 

It honestly sounds like you've got yourself a lemon. Why do you think Linus recommends Razer laptops so highly if they're as bad as you're saying? (Im not trying to be smart Im actually asking for your opinion :) )

7 minutes ago, 5Beans6 said:

The main reason I like this laptop is actually specifically because is has very light graphics on board yet isn't Intel HD and has a large battery.. 

It honestly sounds like you've got yourself a lemon. Why do you think Linus recommends Razer laptops so highly if they're as bad as you're saying? (Im not trying to be smart Im actually asking for your opinion :) )

That's the thing - he never recommended them. He just loves their keyboards and trackpads and in his last video he even mentioned that his laptop broke. After how long? 2 years?

He even uploaded a video trying to deal with all the issues he had with the Razer laptops he gave to his employees. I don't think anyone of them is still using their Razer laptops, because they all broke.

34 minutes ago, 5Beans6 said:

I am thinking of buying a Razer Blade Stealth 2019, however I am not sure if Razer requires you to use their Razer Core E-GPU enclosure, or if it will support any enclosure? I know its just thunderbolt but laptop manufacturers have done stupid things like this before.

Sorry if this is a stupid question I just cant find reliable information on this.

You can run most any external enclosure but I agree with the sentiment others have expressed in this thread that your money is better spent on a more powerful laptop. It’s just not an economically efficient way to accomplish this goal. But maybe that doesn’t matter to you or you have a specific case where it does make sense.

1 minute ago, 5Beans6 said:

I'm trying to save you a huge headache. I was in your shoes a few years ago. Adamant that the people with problems were only few and far between. What were the chances? I've been a fan of razer for a very long time and wanted to give them the benefit of the doubt, but their quality control is extremely sub-par. 

TBH i don't ever remember Linus specifically recommending razer laptops, only the video where he bought a bunch of RBS for the LMG team. 

7 minutes ago, snoopunit said:

I'm trying to save you a huge headache. I was in your shoes a few years ago. Adamant that the people with problems were only few and far between. What were the chances? I've been a fan of razer for a very long time and wanted to give them the benefit of the doubt, but their quality control is extremely sub-par. 

TBH i don't ever remember Linus specifically recommending razer laptops, only the video where he bought a bunch of RBS for the LMG team. 

What would you recommend instead? I really love the build quality compared to anything else and is the only laptop I can find like this. Nothing else I've looked at even comes close to having the same specs or IO.

I know the price is high for the graphics spec but im looking for battery life when Im not at home (dorm room) and thunderbolt for more graphics when I am.

what exactly are you looking for in terms of specs and I/O?

for $850USD you can get an ASUS laptop with GTX 1050

MSI has similar specs for even cheaper @ $679USD

I would search newegg.com and use the power search features on the left hand side to specify what features you need and go from there.

while you wont get the same aesthetics as the blade laptops, IMHO it's certainly not worth the hassle of having a paperweight. plus with the money you save, you could buy a second wall charger, and maybe even a beefy power bank to keep you going through the day. 

1 hour ago, 5Beans6 said:

don't, go with a Zephyrus. you can find manufacturer refurbed ones on ebay with an 8750H and 1080 for the same price as a stealth. got mine (the one in my signature) for $1089 a couple weeks ago. its a direct asus refurb and its amazing

Desktop: NZXT H700i / i7-8700K @ 5.1GHz / Corsair H100i RGB AIO / Asus ROG Strix RTX 2080 Ti OC / 32gb Corsair Vengeance @ 2666MHz (8+8 LPX, 8+8 RGB Pro) 

Laptop: Asus ROG Zephyrus GX501 15.6” / i7-7700HQ / GTX 1080 Max-Q / 16gb DDR4 (want to liquid metal it soon!)

5 hours ago, 5Beans6 said:

I am thinking of buying a Razer Blade Stealth 2019

Razer laptops have bad QC+QA

Do you have any preference on weight and battery life?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128