ASUS GT-AC5300 is blocking a VPN, how can I unblock it?

rf9661

Hello!

I am trying to run a Mysterium VPN node on a computer of mine, but my router, the Asus GT-AC5300 is blocking it. When I plug an Ethernet cable directly into the modem, it works, but plugging into the router, the VPN no longer works...

AI Protection is turned off, but here is a screenshot of the AI Protection settings page: https://imgur.com/a/qO41DvW

Any help or recommendations? All help is much appreciated.

Ask them what ports you need to forward, your NAT will be blocking it.

Then follow the port forwarding sections in your router manual

1 minute ago, BubblyCharizard said:

Ask them what ports you need to forward, your NAT will be blocking it.

Then follow the port forwarding sections in your router manual

Except in the Mysterium VPN app itself, it says that NAT Transversal is successful...

is it just incoming connections that aren't working?

NAT transversal can just mean that it was able to make a single TCP or UDP session, not allowing the node to function as intended

if you ask the developer they can help figure out what else you need to do.

remember, the node is expecting a publicly routable IP address, so once you know which ports it uses, then you can open them accordingly.....unless you put the device in a DMZ which is not recommended, as it would negate all of the router's firewall abilities 

4 minutes ago, BubblyCharizard said:

NAT transversal can just mean that it was able to make a single TCP or UDP session, not allowing the node to function as intended

remember, the node is expecting a publicly routable IP address, so once you know which ports it uses, then you can open them accordingly.....unless you put the device in a DMZ which is not recommended, as it would negate all of the router's firewall abilities 

Yeah, I want to avoid disabling the entirety of the firewall because it would put all my other systems at risk as well....

9 minutes ago, BubblyCharizard said:

Here's a screenshot of the NAT settings: https://imgur.com/a/iqIEm0G

Btw I've just found out that the required port is 1194 (https://docs.mysterium.network/en/latest/user-guide/installation/)

2 minutes ago, BubblyCharizard said:

did you try that and did it work?

Yeah, just tried adding the Port Forwarding for that system, and also tried adding that system to the DMZ to no avail.