GTX 980 Ti Artifacting

Ashiella

The card artifacts at resolutions higher than 1024x768, the upper 2/3's of the screen has black/white (randomized pixels) rectangles arranged on the screen. When I install nvidia drivers and it detects the card, it uses the monitors normal resolution (1080p) and the card artifacts, then the screen goes black and wont do anything until I powercycle. When it starts up again, I get artifacts at the login screen until it black screens about 4-5 seconds later (usually just after the login process) When its used as the second card I usually get "code 43" in device manager, although gpu-z can detect it, (Msi afterburner cant). I assume this is because the slot is pcie x4, I can test this part later on tomorrow probably on a different motherboard.

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Cpu: Ryzen 9 3900x @ 1.1v / Motherboard: Asus Prime X570-P / Ram: 32GB 3000Mhz 16-16-16-36 Team Vulcan (4x8GB) / Storage: 1x 1TB Lite-on EP2, 2x 128GB PM851 SSD, 3x 1TB WD Blues / Gpu: GTX Titan X (Pascal) / Case: Corsair 400c Carbide / Psu: Corsair RMi 750w / OS: Windows 10

Spoiler

I'm lonely, PM me to be my friend!

It is very likely on its way out. Driver errors out the wazoo and artifacts say as such anyways.

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

1 hour ago, SenKa said:

It is very likely on its way out. Driver errors out the wazoo and artifacts say as such anyways.

is it oven trick time?

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Cpu: Ryzen 9 3900x @ 1.1v / Motherboard: Asus Prime X570-P / Ram: 32GB 3000Mhz 16-16-16-36 Team Vulcan (4x8GB) / Storage: 1x 1TB Lite-on EP2, 2x 128GB PM851 SSD, 3x 1TB WD Blues / Gpu: GTX Titan X (Pascal) / Case: Corsair 400c Carbide / Psu: Corsair RMi 750w / OS: Windows 10

Spoiler

I also experience artifacts. Do they look the same for you? Most often I only get black squares. I'm ready to do some heating if it keeps getting worse. However, I'd prefer using a heatgun instead of an oven.

image.png.71177a27c91acb9275688db466763dcc.png

Screen artifacting usually means you have a memory problem. What 980ti is it?  Try underclocking your memory

That's an F in the profile pic

44 minutes ago, nakami said:

I also experience artifacts. Do they look the same for you? Most often I only get black squares. I'm ready to do some heating if it keeps getting worse. However, I'd prefer using a heatgun instead of an oven.

image.png.71177a27c91acb9275688db466763dcc.png

Unfortunately, I do not own a heat gun.

40 minutes ago, Froody129 said:

Screen artifacting usually means you have a memory problem. What 980ti is it?  Try underclocking your memory

I tried flashing a bios with half the core and memory clock, no luck. The vrm heatsink seems to heat up allot more than I think it should though. (I cant touch it for more than half a second)

With nvidia drivers, without them it has a different artifact.

Screenshot_20190720-230336_VLC.jpg

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Ashiella said:

a heat gun is 20 bucks on amazon. an oven should not be re-used after such an operation as the gpu may leak toxic gases.

mh, the artifacts in your photo look definitely more concerning than the ones im having. disabling and re-enabling my gpu in the driver manager usually fixes it for the respective power-cycle.

2 hours ago, Froody129 said:

msi 980 ti 6gb. are you referring to gpu ram or general ram?

7 minutes ago, nakami said:

a heat gun is 20 bucks on amazon. an oven should not be re-used after such an operation as the gpu may leak toxic gases.

mh, the artifacts in your photo look definitely more concerning than the ones im having. disabling and re-enabling my gpu in the driver manager usually fixes it for the respective power-cycle.

The card im using is a Zotac Amp! edition, and probably the vram.

The artifacting when no drivers are installed and I go above 1024x768 looks the same, except the background isnt black, and its only the top 2/3 of the screen thats artifacted.

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Spoiler

2 hours ago, nakami said:

Screen artefacts will likely be video RAM (VRAM) if other factors such as drivers etc. have been ruled out.

2 hours ago, Ashiella said:

The card im using is a Zotac Amp! edition, and probably the vram.

The artifacting when no drivers are installed and I go above 1024x768 looks the same, except the background isnt black, and its only the top 2/3 of the screen thats artifacted.

Damn, I don't really know what else you could do. I would wait a while before trying the heating method and see if anyone else can think of anything. Heating is definitely the last resort. Both of your 980ti's are pretty good cards, it makes me wonder if I have to worry about my 980ti in the future... :/

Please remember that an oven that's been used to bake a GPU can not be used for food again. I assume a heat gun would work but not 100%. Good luck 

4 hours ago, Froody129 said:

Screen artefacts will likely be video RAM (VRAM) if other factors such as drivers etc. have been ruled out.

Damn, I don't really know what else you could do. I would wait a while before trying the heating method and see if anyone else can think of anything. Heating is definitely the last resort. Both of your 980ti's are pretty good cards, it makes me wonder if I have to worry about my 980ti in the future... :/

Please remember that an oven that's been used to bake a GPU can not be used for food again. I assume a heat gun would work but not 100%. Good luck 

vram clock to 2750 from 3505 didnt help.

Yeah... Both? I only have one..

It can, if you clean the fuck out of it im assuming, which wouldnt be fun.

WAIT YOU SAID VRAM? What if this vram had no thermal pads connecting to the heatsink? I assume it should but im not 100% sure... (The only thermal pads on are card are for the VRM)

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Spoiler

13 hours ago, Ashiella said:

vram clock to 2750 from 3505 didnt help.

Yeah... Both? I only have one..

It can, if you clean the fuck out of it im assuming, which wouldnt be fun.

WAIT YOU SAID VRAM? What if this vram had no thermal pads connecting to the heatsink? I assume it should but im not 100% sure... (The only thermal pads on are card are for the VRM)

Someone else came with the same problem you have, but to a lesser degree. I was responding to both posts, which you'll see if you look at the quotes.

No, once an oven has been used for a graphics card that oven is done. The baked card releases plastic and other nasties which you really don't in your body, I strongly doubt just a scrub will make it usable. 

I did indeed say VRAM. Your card should have thermal pads connected the VRAM to the heatsink. Maybe before heating your card try replacing those. The memory may be overheating. That's what underclocking usually can identify, however.

Again: You can not use an over for food once you've baked a GPU in it. It's not safe

56 minutes ago, Froody129 said:

Someone else came with the same problem you have, but to a lesser degree. I was responding to both posts, which you'll see if you look at the quotes.

No, once an oven has been used for a graphics card that oven is done. The baked card releases plastic and other nasties which you really don't in your body, I strongly doubt just a scrub will make it usable. 

I did indeed say VRAM. Your card should have thermal pads connected the VRAM to the heatsink. Maybe before heating your card try replacing those. The memory may be overheating. That's what underclocking usually can identify, however.

Again: You can not use an over for food once you've baked a GPU in it. It's not safe

The memory is burnt up im assuming. no thermal pad to be seen, and a clear area of where one was on the heatsink. (tons of screws missing from the shroud) and when I put thermal paste on every chip and attached an L-shaped aluminum plate thing to act as a mini heatsink (you would need a thermal pad to connect to the actual heatsink) It felt cold.

Whoever took this card apart before me must have took the pads off :/

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Spoiler

hi, quick update: had no further problems after doing a BIOS update. before that, artifacts occurred every one of two power cycles. mobo is msi x99a gaming 7.

thank you for your responses, though!

57 minutes ago, nakami said:

hi, quick update: had no further problems after doing a BIOS update. before that, artifacts occurred every one of two power cycles. mobo is msi x99a gaming 7.

thank you for your responses, though!

bios update or vbios?

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Spoiler

On 7/21/2019 at 11:49 AM, Ashiella said:

This is modern art.

Title: 'False Memorys' (2019)
Medium: GPU artfifact on LCD screen 

2 minutes ago, Cypher-Jackson said:

This is modern art.

Title: 'False Memorys' (2019)
Medium: GPU artfifact on LCD screen 

it'd probably sell for allot.

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Spoiler

Just now, Ashiella said:

it'd probably sell for allot.

It's worth more now because the artist is dead

• 1 year later...
On 7/21/2019 at 10:19 AM, Ashiella said:

I tried flashing a bios with half the core and memory clock, no luck. The vrm heatsink seems to heat up allot more than I think it should though. (I cant touch it for more than half a second)

With nvidia drivers, without them it has a different artifact.

nice moniter  i got the same one (mine might be older)