Is a Dell Inspiron 15 Good?

iNothing

What do you plan on doing with the laptop? 

EDIT: with that price range you might be able to get a ultrabook with similar or even better specs. 

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

EDIT: with that price range you might be able to get a ultrabook with similar or even better specs. 

in Au? nah m8 shits to expensive here. im waiting for that td300 asus unvailed it should be 650-700ish here due to stuff being more expensive than the advertised 599 pricetag. but still pretty appealing.

In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only a GTX 1080, just a single 1080, where my glorious PC once stood....

For that is all I need, For the Emperor of Man, Jen-Hsun Huang, protects. We march for Nvidia, and we shall know no fear!

I got a DV6 as a present but is was $1,200. Dam expensively stupid price, it was only 2 years ago too.

CPU: Intel i7 8700K | CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | RAM: Kingston HyperX 2x8GB | Motherboard: Asus ROG Z370-E | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & 2TB | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB & 970 EVO M.2 500GB | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X | PSU: Silverstone Platinum Strider 1100W | Monitor: AOC i2367Fh | Headphones: ATH-M40X | Mic: Antlion ModMic 4 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB w/ MX Browns | Mouse: Logitech G502 HERO

Make sure you quote or mention the person you're replying to in your comment. Also remember to follow your thread when creating it to get a notification every time someone replies. 

Be nice and have fun. Cheers!

@iNothing: Not too bad. It's a little hard to tell because the website is so bad, and it doesn't give a proper model number or anything. I really hate the JB HI-FI website, pisses me off so much. I wouldn't go Dell if possible though, they're not known to last nor have great customer service.

@MyInnerFred: You can't get an ultrabook for that price in Australia. "Australia Tax"

@iNothing: Not too bad. It's a little hard to tell because the website is so bad, and it doesn't give a proper model number or anything. I really hate the JB HI-FI website, pisses me off so much. I wouldn't go Dell if possible though, they're not known to last nor have great customer service.

@MyInnerFred: You can't get an ultrabook for that price in Australia. "Australia Tax"

The OP could order in from the US though. eBay has quite a few choices. There's no duty and only 10% tax on laptop computers.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Hi i was wondering if this laptop was good to buy

http://www.jbhifi.com.au/computers/dell/inspiron-15-3537-sku-419119/

Thanks

Depends on your use, and it's unclear without clear information.

I personally wooldn't recommend non-business dell laptops because they generally have bad reliability. Other than that, the deal also doesn't seem particularly good (in particular that horrible 1366x768 15.6 inch tn panel! Yuck!)

Heck I can get the same exact laptop for 499$ at costco (http://www.costco.com/Dell-Inspiron-15-Laptop-%7c-Intel-Core-i5.product.100090984.html) and that's not even counting the excellent return policy there! Not to mention you would have 200$ left over to buy a bunch of cakes, bacon, and frosted flakes.

If you want to go the dell way you could get an XPS 12 which has a touchscreen, is lighter, has a much better 1080p ips screen, converts into a tablet, and has a 128gb ssd for 100$ more (799$) and also include microsoft office http://www.costco.com/Dell-XPS-12-Touchscreen-Convertible-Ultrabook-%7c-Intel-Core-i5-%7c-1080p-%7c-Office-2013.product.100070981.html

Whatever you do though, never buy a non-business HP notebooks. Those are pretty much guaranteed to die. 

"Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Personally I'd wait to get an Asus one, there pretty cheap in aus

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.

As I get older I get angrier more cynical, meaner. I feel some warning posts coming. I feel a ban coming. I was warned.

CPU-i5 2400 GPU-Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 OC Mobo-H67MA-D2H-B3 Ram-G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb 1333mhz Case-Fractal Define R4 PSU-Corsair CX750 Storage-Samsung EVO 250gb, 1tb WD Black,Hitachi 1tb Other stuff-Corsair K90, M90 Cooling-3x 140mm Fractal fans Sound-Sennheiser HD438 headphones

I am typing on one right now. :D

i3 2310

8 gigs of RAM

Nvidia GT 525M (lame)

Works fine for light gaming (lef4dead2 works)

You're gonna want at least an i5 though.

Other than that it's a great laptop for work and media use. it has plenty of connectors.

who cares...

I personally wooldn't recommend non-business dell laptops because they generally have bad reliability. Other than that, the deal also doesn't seem particularly good (in particular that horrible 1366x768 15.6 inch tn panel! Yuck!)

Heck I can get the same exact laptop for 499$ at costco (http://www.costco.com/Dell-Inspiron-15-Laptop-%7c-Intel-Core-i5.product.100090984.html) and that's not even counting the excellent return policy there! Not to mention you would have 200$ left over to buy a bunch of cakes, bacon, and frosted flakes.

If you want to go the dell way you could get an XPS 12 which has a touchscreen, is lighter, has a much better 1080p ips screen, converts into a tablet, and has a 128gb ssd for 100$ more (799$) and also include microsoft office http://www.costco.com/Dell-XPS-12-Touchscreen-Convertible-Ultrabook-%7c-Intel-Core-i5-%7c-1080p-%7c-Office-2013.product.100070981.html

Whatever you do though, never buy a non-business HP notebooks. Those are pretty much guaranteed to die. 

The OP is in Australia, an XPS 12 is way out of his budget.

CPU: 5930K @ 4.5GHz | GPU: Zotac GTX 980Ti AMP! Extreme edition @ 1503MHz/7400MHz | RAM: 16GB Corsair Dom Plat @ 2667MHz CAS 13 | Motherboard: Asus X99 Sabertooth | Boot Drive: 400GB Intel 750 Series NVMe SSD | PSU: Corsair HX1000i | Monitor: Dell U2713HM 1440p monitor

No, the Inspiron series has never been good. If you're going for a Dell, it has to be the upper XPS or Latitude lines with upgraded, high color gamut displays and much better build quality. At this price point, you can do better than the Inspiron, which is designed for mass sales to consumers without discriminating tastes.

Oneplus 6 | Sony 55" X900F . Lenovo Y540 17" 144Hz RTX 2060 . i7 9750h. 

Audio-GD DAC-19MK3 > Schiit Lyr 2 + > FOSTEX TH900 . Sony XBA-Z5

I will use the laptop to read emails, create spreadsheets, write on word and search the web no gaming whatsoever 

No, the Inspiron series has never been good. If you're going for a Dell, it has to be the upper XPS or Latitude lines with upgraded, high color gamut displays and much better build quality. At this price point, you can do better than the Inspiron, which is designed for mass sales to consumers without discriminating tastes.

Is there a better laptop for the price on that website (jbhifi) That i could get?

Is there a better laptop for the price on that website (jbhifi) That i could get?

what exactly are you looking to get out of a laptop. Of course there isn't such a thing as a perfect laptop, it all depends on your usage and needs. Are you going to carry it everday? If so up to how much weight? Do you want to be able to upgrade it later on by adding an SSD, or memory (things that are not possible with ultrabooks)... do you want a touchscreen? Is battery life a big concern? Do you want a 1080p screen or something that's not a sh*tty 1366x768 tn panel? 

I can help you out once you answer some of these questions. 

what exactly are you looking to get out of a laptop. Of course there isn't such a thing as a perfect laptop, it all depends on your usage and needs. Are you going to carry it everday? If so up to how much weight? Do you want to be able to upgrade it later on by adding an SSD, or memory (things that are not possible with ultrabooks)... do you want a touchscreen? Is battery life a big concern? Do you want a 1080p screen or something that's not a sh*tty 1366x768 tn panel? 

I can help you out once you answer some of these questions. 

Well I mostly use it at home so it doesnt have to be light, I would like to upgrade to a ssd. It has to last atlest 3 years, I dont care about the res. 

Well I mostly use it at home so it doesnt have to be light, I would like to upgrade to a ssd. It has to last atlest 3 years, I dont care about the res. 

do you already have a desktop or something more powerful? So basically are you going to use this laptop just for the usual web browsing, youtube and other light stuff? (meaning no heavy gaming etc..)

do you already have a desktop or something more powerful? So basically are you going to use this laptop just for the usual web browsing, youtube and other light stuff? (meaning no heavy gaming etc..)

Its for my Mum so yea....

Its for my Mum so yea....

oooh alright. Nice of you.

Honestly I would say a core i3 is more than enough for what she will do, and it should suffice even in the years that follow up since she's just gonna do some web browsing type of stuff. I used to own an i3 laptop and to be honest I couldn't really tell the difference between that and an i5 mobile cpu. 

I just got done looking at all the different laptops they have on this website and here are some good finds (all with price in mind, since it seems to be one of your main concerns): 

First up is the same model, dell inspiron 15, but with a touchscreen added, but 4gb instead of 6gb of ram and a core i3 instead of i5... It costs the same as the one you listed... Might be a good idea to have a touchscreen since she might be used to it from phones and it's pretty intuitive.

http://www.jbhifionline.com.au/computers-laptops/laptops/dell-w560200au-15-inspiron-touch-15-6-notebook/683809?utm_source=JB-AU&utm_medium=button&utm_content=buy-online-button-tvs&utm_campaign=buy-online-button

Now if you don't think touchscreen matters, there is pretty much an identical copy of the i3 inspiron 15 with a core i5 etc... for 150$ less (550 AUD)

http://www.jbhifionline.com.au/computers-laptops/laptops/acer-e1-570-33214g50mnkk-15-notebook/698045?utm_source=JB-AU&utm_medium=button&utm_content=buy-online-button-tvs&utm_campaign=buy-online-button

Last but not least at all, the acer aspire V7. Touchscreen, core i5, 4gb of ram and a hybrid drive (500gb of hard drive storage and 20gb of solid state).. It's also easy to upgrade like the others and should weigh less. Personally I would recommend this one because of price, touchscreen and the fact that it's the only one of the 3 with a hybrid drive. Also it has an i5 which the others in the price range did not have. 

http://www.jbhifi.com.au/computers/acer/aspire-v7-15-6-inch-touch-ultrabook-sku-419090/

Upgrading the SSD in there is also quite easy: http://www.youtube.com/select_3d_mode?video_id=BwRuBO74LeE

oooh alright. Nice of you.

Honestly I would say a core i3 is more than enough for what she will do, and it should suffice even in the years that follow up since she's just gonna do some web browsing type of stuff. I used to own an i3 laptop and to be honest I couldn't really tell the difference between that and an i5 mobile cpu. 

I just got done looking at all the different laptops they have on this website and here are some good finds (all with price in mind, since it seems to be one of your main concerns): 

First up is the same model, dell inspiron 15, but with a touchscreen added, but 4gb instead of 6gb of ram and a core i3 instead of i5... It costs the same as the one you listed... Might be a good idea to have a touchscreen since she might be used to it from phones and it's pretty intuitive.

http://www.jbhifionline.com.au/computers-laptops/laptops/dell-w560200au-15-inspiron-touch-15-6-notebook/683809?utm_source=JB-AU&utm_medium=button&utm_content=buy-online-button-tvs&utm_campaign=buy-online-button

Now if you don't think touchscreen matters, there is pretty much an identical copy of the i3 inspiron 15 with a core i5 etc... for 150$ less (550 AUD)

http://www.jbhifionline.com.au/computers-laptops/laptops/acer-e1-570-33214g50mnkk-15-notebook/698045?utm_source=JB-AU&utm_medium=button&utm_content=buy-online-button-tvs&utm_campaign=buy-online-button

Last but not least at all, the acer aspire V7. Touchscreen, core i5, 4gb of ram and a hybrid drive (500gb of hard drive storage and 20gb of solid state).. It's also easy to upgrade like the others and should weigh less. Personally I would recommend this one because of price, touchscreen and the fact that it's the only one of the 3 with a hybrid drive. Also it has an i5 which the others in the price range did not have. 

http://www.jbhifi.com.au/computers/acer/aspire-v7-15-6-inch-touch-ultrabook-sku-419090/

Upgrading the SSD in there is also quite easy: http://www.youtube.com/select_3d_mode?video_id=BwRuBO74LeE

Is a ssd easy to install in the dell?

Is a ssd easy to install in the dell?

yes... very. It's easy to install an ssd in pretty much all non-ultrabook laptops.