Does the 3400G APU require a BIOS update to work on old B450 motherboards?

Hi guys,

A quick question, does these new APUs from AMD need the BIOS update that Zen2 processors need to work on old B450 motherboards? I wouldn't think so because these are not Zen2 but Zen+ CPUs, but I couldn't find a clear answer.

Thanks in advance!

Yes, they are part of the new 3000 series family even if they aren't on the same architecture.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Yes any B450 or X470 will need a bios update to work with Ryzen 3000 CPUs. The new shipments of B450 and X470 boards will have the new update and should say if they are compatible out of the box, but more than likely you will get one that will need to be manually updated, you can always message the seller before purchase to make sure it has the update or not and if you have or get a board that doesn't have the update you can take it into a computer repair shop and usually they can update the bios for you for a small price or even sometimes for free.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |