Help, My roommate is evil.

Consider TymmVonD's advice, take all the reactive piddle with salt. Asshole Roommate situations can foment violence, be it verbal of physical. I'll take the liberty of assuming you're in the nascent stages of roommate/flatmate living. How you handle this is important- it can set precedent, determining how you'll approach future living situations and conflict resolution...which is more important to quality of life than any degree offered by any institution. Ya don't wanna get revengy-stupid; even if you "won", the revengy-stupid behavior because of "win" would be reinforced. Potential outcome of that is a lifetime of shitty relationships, various levels of passive aggressive behavior and perhaps ending up in couples therapy...that's a worst-case scenario o' course. Resorting to clandestine actions for solution is pandering to his (from what I gather) fucked up inability to be honest (attribute of genuine strength) dragging you into his miasma forcing you to play on his sunken field.

Asking for advice shows you're rightfully stressed about the situation (it not just about YouTube/bandwidth) and are seeking ways to address the issue without resorting to asshole-dumb.

As you know- the dumbest people can have a complex persona...so I can't give you any specific advice (in good standing) given the lack of detail regarding the mess. I can tell you some general things which rely very little upon relativistic (social) dynamics:

1. 99% of the time, the golden rule, rules. First propounded by ye very olde Mister Confucius around 500ish BC, it's the "treat other people how you want to be treated". I think he phrased it in the negative "that which sucks for you sucks for the other". Same thing.

With that as a foundation, it's much easier to respond to the different kinds of asshole-dumb without compromising face and taking the low road:

Most of these problems arise from shitty communication, often times made shitty by one persons' perceived superiority which has nothing to do with you, everything to do with how the asshole was raised.

There are the 5%>ish of assholes who fit the "asshole ASSHOLE" category- aka the psycho-dangerous roommate. If he responds with threats and abuse, bring in a 3rd party to help. If that fails and you get that special 1% real dangerous dude, leave.

For everything else, start by telling him the truth in a way appropriate for his behavior (is he a brat? does he listen? Does he have no neck?)

It can be really uncomfortable confronting someone directly- most ppl screw up by waiting for a long time, temper builds up and telling the person (something like) "Hey Joey- This (the problem) is bumming me out (explanation- you split the bill for bandwidth etc) I want things to be totally cool...(stuff stuff) and (because we split bandwidth etc) it's fair/we should/it's appropriate/lets setup (the config/router) for (what both of us pay equal amounts for) equal bandwidth...

What comes next depends on response-

"DUDE MY ROUTER"

After explaining your awareness of that, bring to issue that bandwidth and router are two different things. It's infantile for him to lock you out like a kid, he's not your dad. If he's fixated on his Magic Power Router, point out what the real-honest alternatives are (if he's a Dick, he'll be very reactive/defensive at this point...read his face, tone of voice etc. DON'T raise ur voice, that shows you're being defensive- for him that means he's getting at you, a position ass holes like, it's their terms/language at that point)

Just tell him the truth- which in this scenario, him being a brat...tell him that

Okay, understand it's YOUR router. It's doesn't address (the weird dad thing/your paying for half) it- I'm not going to pay for your bandwidth (and be censored/throttled Christ, college age??).

And from there either

I'll call the provider and cancel- that way there'll be no issues, you pay for all of it, I won't use teh webz....

maybe with

let's (both of us) go to the (wherever the place is at the collage) human resources or where the fiscal-shit, where you pay for services/tuition etc. to fix this and get two separate lines. I'm sure Mr. Collage Man, after we explain to him how I can't afford to pay for joeys extra bandwidth, as well as the absurdity of the situation itself, they'll help us with the $$ part and the other line*

*if he makes it that far to where he'd be willing to admit his unfair shit to an advisor/professor/money-clerk, I'd be surprised. I'd also know that the dude is an obsessive brat with dominance issues stemming from either being spoiled-brat or earlier events in his life which he was made to feel inferior, thus trying to compensate for his perceived deficit of control by his no neck actions, or a combo of.

These are just some ideas which may or may not apply. As long as you give effort to understand his asshole-ness isn't because of you and you stay dynamic to the situations and his response, you'll be fine!

Then, next asshole roommate, which will happen...will be less of a problem from the get, and so on, on and on..!

This is why I am glad my dad is pretty much my roomate, after i moved back in when my mom got sick and then stayed here after she passed away, he saw i was using a lot of bandwith so he went and got a higher tier plan. Before that i lived by myself so all of it was mine, and when i was married before that I had 1 computer in the house til about a yr and half before we parted ways so bandwith wasn't an issue, we were 2 young adults of the opposite sex we had much better things to do then be on the computer all day anyway lol. I would end up buying my own line if that happened to me and make him pay for all of his own if he wants 3/4 of the bandwith anyway. Breaking his stuff will on result in things escalating more to where stuff of yours gets broken or missing. Assholes feed off of stuff like that, they want an angry even violent reaction so they have an excuse to be an even bigger asshole.  If you choose the revenge method make it seem like something that could be caused by something else, like when he isn't there pull the heat sink off the cpu in his computer and mess up the thermal compound on it  so  is constantly over heating and crashing. Just little things like that to inconvenience his life like he is doing to yours but not anything that he could directly pin on you. 

"Science and technology revolutionize our lives, but memory, tradition and myth frame our response."

Arthur M. Schlesinger

• 1 month later...

Or if that's too hardcore for you, put some random legos in front of his bedroom door right after he goes to sleep. 

To walk on legos should be reserved for dictators,terrorists and mass murderers. That's waaay overkill for this situation.

I mean. A gunshot is painfull. Stepping on legos is like going through 7 levels of hell in a heartbeat... that and an upturned plug.. 

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

unplug the 4/6/8 pin power connector to his mobo, AFTER you change the router settings - beter yet reset router to factory and put your own pass on it

The Beast [Case -  Corsair 750D CPU - I5 4670k @ 4.3ghz 1.2V CPU cooler - Hyper 212 evo Mobo - MSI g45 z87 RAM - G.Skill Z series 4*4@1866mhz GPU - Gigabyte windforce 3x r9 290 Storage - SSD, samsung 840 evo 120gb HDD, Western Digital Blue 1tb PSU - SilverStone Strider silver 80+ 750WPeripherals [Monitor - ASUS VS239 IPS 23" Keyboard - Corsair K95 Mouse - Mad Catz RAT 7]

Buy a new powerful router and say "This one's better" and put it where the old one is. Now YOU own it :D

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your dongers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

It feels as though no games ever leave the BETA stage anymore, until about 3 years after it officially releases. - Shd0w2 2014

Why not just change your IP, it's simple enough.

Go to your ethernet card properties, ipv4 properties and just change your ip from 192.168.1.something to 192.168.1.somethingelse.

Intel 4770k@4.6GHz, ASUS ROG Maximus VI Hero, Kingston HyperX Beast 2x8GB 2400MHz CL11, Gigabyte GTX 1070 Gaming, Kingston HyperX 3k 240GB - RAID0 (2x120Gb), 2xWD 1TB (Blue and Green), Corsair H100i, Corsair AX860, CoolerMaster HAF X, ASUS STRIX Tactic pro, Logitech G400S, HyperX Cloud II, Logitech X530, Acer Predator X34.

Why not just change your IP, it's simple enough.

Go to your ethernet card properties, ipv4 properties and just change your ip from 192.168.1.something to 192.168.1.somethingelse.

guy was probably an idiot and banned it off the whole router LOL

The Beast [Case -  Corsair 750D CPU - I5 4670k @ 4.3ghz 1.2V CPU cooler - Hyper 212 evo Mobo - MSI g45 z87 RAM - G.Skill Z series 4*4@1866mhz GPU - Gigabyte windforce 3x r9 290 Storage - SSD, samsung 840 evo 120gb HDD, Western Digital Blue 1tb PSU - SilverStone Strider silver 80+ 750WPeripherals [Monitor - ASUS VS239 IPS 23" Keyboard - Corsair K95 Mouse - Mad Catz RAT 7]

Why does OP have 0 posts? :/

off topic doesn't affect post count. ;)

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

• 2 months later...

My roommate is evil. He is just tech savvy enough to block my computer from certain websites, most notably youtube (Nooo!). He has blocked me from websites because "I'm taking up too much bandwidth" and "he lags when he plays LoL". We live in an apartment together at college. If I choose to watch youtube to relax in between classes I should be able to. Right? I pay rent. I deserve the internet just as much as he does. But no I affect his crummy video game. If he really wants to play it I would browse less demanding websites, but he chooses to ban me outright instead. He owns the router and therefore has a chokehold on what I can do on the internet. At the begining of the year he set up a whitelist so that I could even use the router. This means that he has my computer's IP and he can set it up so that when my IP tries to connect to youtube it denies me access.

Any tech solutions would be appreciated, but I'm not limiting responses to tech solutions, devious revenge ideas would be fun too.

If he owns the router and pays for the internet service, he can do whatever he want's. Sorry to be that guy but it's true. Also if you break into sites that he blocked on his network, you could be facing legal charges.

Kronofiles - Quickly, Easily, and Securely share your files with anyone! http://kronofiles.com

If your YouTube is actually affecting his ability to play games, don't be a dick about it.

You can use netlimiter to cap your up/down speed to like 70% of total so it doesn't affect his game play.

That's the easier solution since you both seem to be unable to deal with things like adults.

Edit: expecting to be able to play a game that uses 5kb/s bandwidth at a decent ping and not having you saturate the whole connection so ping goes out the window isn't an unreasonable request.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

My roommate is evil. He is just tech savvy enough to block my computer from certain websites, most notably youtube (Nooo!). He has blocked me from websites because "I'm taking up too much bandwidth" and "he lags when he plays LoL". We live in an apartment together at college. If I choose to watch youtube to relax in between classes I should be able to. Right? I pay rent. I deserve the internet just as much as he does. But no I affect his crummy video game. If he really wants to play it I would browse less demanding websites, but he chooses to ban me outright instead. He owns the router and therefore has a chokehold on what I can do on the internet. At the begining of the year he set up a whitelist so that I could even use the router. This means that he has my computer's IP and he can set it up so that when my IP tries to connect to youtube it denies me access.

Any tech solutions would be appreciated, but I'm not limiting responses to tech solutions, devious revenge ideas would be fun too.

All he is doing is blocking the website and your mac address in the router and if you do not have the router password you will not be able to change it. You can try rebooting the router by holding down the router's reboot button for a minute. Now this will get rid of the password too so your router could be accessed by other people.

Just get internet of your own if you can. 

Someone said to sleep with his sister and once she is of age that is a great counter to his stupid behavior and if you do keep her panties so you can wear it as a hat when your roommate acts up.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

tell him to eat a dick, then go and get a switch and a router. Then run his router and your router through the switch. You will both have internet and he cant bitch about you using up bandwidth on his connection.

Desktop -  i5 4670k, GTX 770, Maximums VI Hero, 2X Kingston Hyper X 3k in raid zero.

Laptop - Lenovo X230 Intel 535 480GB, 16GB Gskill memory, Classic Keyboard Mod, Triple USB 3.0 Express Card.