4770k overclocking

So with my 4770k under prime95 load I'm at about 45-50 deg with all cores online (3.7ghz according to realtempgt) how much will I be able to overclock? If I ge it to 4.5ghz, about what will my temps be?

So with my 4770k under prime95 load I'm at about 45-50 deg with all cores online (3.7ghz according to realtempgt) how much will I be able to overclock? If I ge it to 4.5ghz, about what will my temps be?

Don't run Prime95 on your Haswell processors, I've heard it causes damage. Either run Aida64 or Intel Burn Test. 

Please quote/tag ( Found by typing @DarrenP) In all posts directed at me. I do not check my current content. 

Intel Core i7-4790K - Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK - 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866Mhz - EVGA GTX 980 - 256GB MX100 - 2TB WD RED - 900D - H100I - Corsair HX1050 - DNS 320L 2x2TB Seagate Barracuda 

all depends on your chip and how much voltage it needs, try 4.4 at 1.2V and see, if it boots and is stable youre lucky, try pushing more, if not, either incrase V or decrease le GHZ

Hey there. You are looking mighty fine today, have my virtual cookie!  :ph34r:

MY RIG: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34911-my-setup-gold-ghetto-gg-lots-of-pictures/#entry446883

every chip is different, there are some 4770k's that do 5 GHz at 1.2V and therefore stay around 70°C, others need 1.4V to get to 4.4 GHz and get hot as hell.

you need to try it out, and find out what your chip is capable of.

Personal Build Project "Rained-On"

helped building up the CPU Overclocking Database and GPU Overclocking Database, check them out ;)

#KilledMyWife #MakeBombs #LinusIsNotFunny || Please, dont use non-default grey font colors. Think about the night-theme users! ;)

all depends on your chip and how much voltage it needs, try 4.4 at 1.2V and see, if it boots and is stable youre lucky, try pushing more, if not, either incrase V or decrease le GHZ

Silicon Lottery for the win!

Please quote/tag ( Found by typing @DarrenP) In all posts directed at me. I do not check my current content. 

Intel Core i7-4790K - Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK - 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866Mhz - EVGA GTX 980 - 256GB MX100 - 2TB WD RED - 900D - H100I - Corsair HX1050 - DNS 320L 2x2TB Seagate Barracuda 

Don't run Prime95 on your Haswell processors, I've heard it causes damage. Either run Aida64 or Intel Burn Test. 

prime95 actually stresses it less, ( for me temp is lower with prime95 than with aida and specially than IBT)

Hey there. You are looking mighty fine today, have my virtual cookie!  :ph34r:

MY RIG: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34911-my-setup-gold-ghetto-gg-lots-of-pictures/#entry446883

prime95 actually stresses it less, ( for me temp is lower with prime95 than with aida and specially than IBT)

I've heard the Prime95 does damage. However this was a while ago when Haswell was just coming out. Either way. 

OK, thanks I'm downloading aida64 extreme now.

I've heard the Prime95 does damage. However this was a while ago when Haswell was just coming out. Either way. 

What kind of cpu benchmark should I run? photoworxx or what?

What kind of cpu benchmark should I run? photoworxx or what?

I usually like to run things like SuperPi and HyperPi. 

OK, thanks I'm downloading aida64 extreme now.

Yeah, go for AIDA64. Prime95 does indeed hurt the CPU from what I've heard. It's less about the temperature it achieves and more about the way in which it puts load on to your CPU. If you can run AIDA64 for around 6 hours with no problems, you should be good to go.

CPU: 5930K @ 4.5GHz | GPU: Zotac GTX 980Ti AMP! Extreme edition @ 1503MHz/7400MHz | RAM: 16GB Corsair Dom Plat @ 2667MHz CAS 13 | Motherboard: Asus X99 Sabertooth | Boot Drive: 400GB Intel 750 Series NVMe SSD | PSU: Corsair HX1000i | Monitor: Dell U2713HM 1440p monitor

Yeah, go for AIDA64. Prime95 does indeed hurt the CPU from what I've heard. It's less about the temperature it achieves and more about the way in which it puts load on to your CPU. If you can run AIDA64 for around 6 hours with no problems, you should be good to go.

How to I actually set up the benchmark?

Not true, unless you have adaptive voltage on. But than Aida and IBT are just as bad if not worse.

A good stress test that doesn't make you limited by your temps (that are far above normal 100% load) is X264 benchmark. Together with the custom script you can find on the OCN haswell thread. Only reason I can run 1,408Vcore (1,38VIN) with a air cooler. 20 loops will be enough and this stress test load and temps are just a little bit higher than normal full load. (The temps are 10C higher than that I get in BF4(ultra, 1440p, res scale to 110%))

To all the people above: WHY run a synthetic stress test that makes your CPU much hotter, isn't anywhere NEAR a realistic load and just bottlenecks your OC with temperatures?

System:
4670k@4,7Ghz <fully stable ( and 5Ghz, incredible unstable)| Asus Maximus VI Hero | G.Skill TridentX 16GB 2400Mhz C10 | AMD XFX R9 290 OC'ed (locked, Elpida) Cooled by a Kraken G10&X40 w/ NF-A14 | NZXT Phantom 530 | 2TB Seagate Barracuda | Samsung EVO 250GB | Cooler Master V850 | QNIX QX2710 @110Hz | Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2 | Ducky Shine 3 ^^ | Madcatz R.A.T. 5 | Brainwavz Delta's |

Use something like Cinebench since most of use it in the overclocking section of the forums. It generally gives a good idea of performance.

When overclocking, just increase the clock speed by 0.1 GHz a time, then stability test it (AIDA64) until it becomes unstable, then voltage by 0.010V at a time until it is stable.

You should be looking at around 4.4-4.6 GHz with an decent chip. If your temperatures start going north of 90 degrees during stability testing, decrease the voltage. 90 degrees is dangerous.

CPU: 5930K @ 4.5GHz | GPU: Zotac GTX 980Ti AMP! Extreme edition @ 1503MHz/7400MHz | RAM: 16GB Corsair Dom Plat @ 2667MHz CAS 13 | Motherboard: Asus X99 Sabertooth | Boot Drive: 400GB Intel 750 Series NVMe SSD | PSU: Corsair HX1000i | Monitor: Dell U2713HM 1440p monitor

Use something like Cinebench since most of use it in the overclocking section of the forums. It generally gives a good idea of performance.

When overclocking, just increase the clock speed by 0.1 GHz a time, then stability test it (AIDA64) until it becomes unstable, then voltage by 0.010V at a time until it is stable.

You should be looking at around 4.4-4.6 GHz with an decent chip. If your temperatures start going north of 90 degrees during stability testing, decrease the voltage. 90 degrees is dangerous.

OK I will, thanks alot !

Just go into your bios and enable turbo boost mode. You will get consistently 3.9GHz and its safe and stable and no worries about running hot. I did that cuz im lazy but it works.

Steam and origins ID: Erebus305

Just go into your bios and enable turbo boost mode. You will get consistently 3.9GHz and its safe and stable and no worries about running hot. I did that cuz im lazy but it works.

I've setup a big expensive custom waterloop, I ain't going to be lazy xD

You monster  :o 

Why would one do that  :(

Because you're lazy, LOL

If you had been lazy, you would have bought a premade like an alianware  :lol: 

If you had been lazy, you would have bought a premade like an alianware  :lol:

How dare you name Alienware in a sofisticated forum? :o