ryzen 7 3700x with b450 tomahawk?

would ryzen 7 3700x with b450 tomahawk be too risky? i have a budget of around $450 but am i skimping too much on the motherboard? any budget motherboard recommendations for ryzen 3700x. or should i just get 3600/ 3600x with a better mobo? thanks

Nah you're good.. If I was on a budget that's the board I would get.. But I would also consider just the 3600 as it's a great CPU on it's own and then maybe a higher tier motherboard.. But hey, if B450 has the features you need then you're all set!

Ryzen 3800X + MEG ACE w/ Radeon VII + 3733 c14 Trident Z RGB in a Custom Loop powered by Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium
PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | My Build

I'd spend a little more and get a x470-prime pro, just barbecue more features, and imo aesthetics.

3 minutes ago, Firewrath9 said:

get a x470-prime pro,

this should never be suggested.

a good b450 is good enough for 8 core

57 minutes ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

good b450 is good enough for 8 core

so would the msi b450 tomahawk be good enough for the ryzen 7 3700x without any problems

On 7/8/2019 at 9:47 PM, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

this should never be suggested.

a good b450 is good enough for 8 core

B450 tomahawk is a really bad board imo, not because of gem, because of features. It has a Realtek lan chip, which is unacceptable for something that’s 120$, only 6 USB rear ports (I’d basically run out even with front IO.(headset,keyboard+mouse,webcam,mic, micro usb charging cable, phone charging cable)

And a sticker covers up a good bit of the vrm heat sink.

and it looks a lot worse. 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1d9_E3h8bLp-TXr-0zTJFqqVxdCR9daIVNyMatydkpFA/htmlview

Been referring to this list for B450 boards.

I've narrowed down 3700X on B450 to just MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC or ASUS ROG B450-F, mainly because there are only a few B450s with Intel NIC. MSI has the better VRMs, but the ROG is cheaper and has more rear USB

On 7/9/2019 at 11:09 AM, ImperialKnightErrant said:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1d9_E3h8bLp-TXr-0zTJFqqVxdCR9daIVNyMatydkpFA/htmlview

Been referring to this list for B450 boards.

I've narrowed down 3700X on B450 to just MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC or ASUS ROG B450-F, mainly because there are only a few B450s with Intel NIC. MSI has the better VRMs, but the ROG is cheaper and has more rear USB

They’ll be fine, but imo just spend a 10-20$ more and get a X470 board. Prob want to go with MSI for bios q-flash

As of now, this is my planned upgrade when availability levels out.  New bios is OK, didn't like it at first but after tinkering it works fine.

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 5 3600(Stock Clock)

Cooler: EVGA CLC 280 

Motherboard: ASUS X570 TUF Gaming Plus WiFi

GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Windforce OC3

RAM: 32GB(2x16GB) G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3600

SSD: WD Blue 3D NAND M.2 250 GB

HDD: Seagate BarraCuda 2TB  

Case:  Fractal Design Meshify C

PSU:  Seasonic Focus 650W 80+ Gold

"Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration, don't fail us now!!!" --Elwood Blues

The 3700x will run fine, it will overclock too. I had a 1800x in mine since last Christmas running at 1.345 volts 4ghz no problems on the b450 tomahawk. 

If you need more USB ports on the back go with something else but it’s hard to beat that board when it’s only $100 brand new. 

No cpu mobo or ram atm

2tb wd black gen 4 nvme 

2tb seagate hdd

Corsair rm750x 

Be quiet 500dx 

Gigabyte m34wq 3440x1440

Xbox series x

18 hours ago, Firewrath9 said:

I'd spend a little more and get a x470-prime pro, just barbecue more features, and imo aesthetics.

what the f...

1 hour ago, Qata said:

what the f...

Imo. its not my first reason, its my last reason. first and 2nd would be features and vrm. 

If you don't care about aethetics why not put your PC on a cardboard box. or buy a dell prebuilt and stick a gpu in there./

On 7/8/2019 at 6:39 PM, Firewrath9 said:

The B450 Tomahawk has BIOS Flashback while the X470 Prime Pro doesn't. You can update the BIOS on the Tomahawk to support 3rd Gen Ryzen without needing a CPU while the X470 Prime Pro would require an older Ryzen chip.

7 hours ago, Spikes said:

The B450 Tomahawk has BIOS Flashback while the X470 Prime Pro doesn't. You can update the BIOS on the Tomahawk to support 3rd Gen Ryzen without needing a CPU while the X470 Prime Pro would require an older Ryzen chip.

Then get something like a b450 GPC, just something with an intel lan controller. I have Realtek, (previously used intel lan), I prefer using WiFi because my lan just drops randomly quite often.

Things going for the Prime X470 Pro: Intel NIC, more USB ports, internal USB-C header for front panel, aesthetics (if you're into white)

Things going for B450 Tomahawk: Price

The B450 Gaming Pro Carbon has the same VRM as the Tomahawk, but it has Intel NIC. The price IS uncomfortably close to the Prim X470-Pro. 

Personally, the more I think about it, the more I lean towards the X470-Pro, just for the extra USB and Intel NIC. My wallet though, keeps telling me to just go 3600+B450 GPC ?

Well if you are short on cash go for the tomahawk, its a great budget motherboard and you still have nice features on it

• 3 weeks later...

I also consider to buy the 3700x and the MSI b450 Tomahawk.

I asked about it in another forum, and when it came to overclocking everyone was like 'that should be ok, go for it'. Only one guy told me thats a really bad idea, the chipset is going to get really hot and most likely stop working after some time.

I couldn't find anything like that anywhere else.

Can someone confirm this? I would like to overclock my CPU, but that guy said I need a X570 board to do that, and these are quite expensiv.

I have the b450 tomahawk with a 3600. I have no issues with it other than every now and then it hangs when I restart it and won't post so I have to shut it off with the button and turn it back on. Maybe one out of 10 times if that. But other boards seem to be having the same issue and others. I think it has more to do with the code AMD released, it will probably get fixed in time.

My internet is perfectly fine as well. I am getting 180 mbps down ( more than pay for) and my internet never drops out or throttles. Maybe if you have super fast internet or are running on a really fast network the difference between intel and realtek might matter, but for us normal people I don't think it matters much. I haven't had a motherboard yet that had lan issues and I normally by cheap crap because I am poor lol.

And I overclocked the crap out of my cpu playing around to see what it would do the first day I had it. I used stupid high voltages and pulled almost 120 watts on the package and nothing over heated. I mean, it got hot, don't get me wrong lol. But it never overheated and shutdown or anything. I obviously didn't leave it that way, I run mine stock. I rarely see an advantage to overclocking with every day use kind of stuff. Especially with AMD. I just wanted to see what it could do.

The question I would ask if I were you is do you really need the extra cores on the 3700x? If you don't get the 3600 and save yourself some money.

ok problem solved. Apperently all the overclocking parts of the chipset are on the CPU nowadays, he didn't know that.

Been done by multiple people, or even worse situations on worse boards, and no problems with that combo. 

Hardware Unboxed got a 3900x running on a way older, worse board, albeit really hot if ran at anything but stock.

and Wendell (guest on EposVox/host on Level1techs) swears by the specifically for the 3900x, 3700x easily. 

Then this Toasty guy (dono him) specifically did the combo you are asking about. 

Basically you'll be more then fine, have at it.  

I saw the EposVox video, that's why I was so surprised that the guy in the other forum told me it is not going to work. But he changed his opinion, looks like his chipset knowledge was not up to date. 

Thanks for the other videos, I watch them later to see if I can learn more about overclocking