Running redundant line between two switches

Siggers

Hi hive mind, 

I am I the process of building a small network for ongoing work that I do.

Basically I have devices at location A, and devices at location B, but instead of running a single line between location A&B I would like to have at least 2 lines between them, but as redundancy, so if the main link breaks down, the redunant line(s) take over.

From my limited knowledge of how this work, I need to run the spanning tree protocol, and make sure that both switches support the same STP versions, set one as the master and the other(s) to know which one is the master. 

Am I missing something here, or does this sound correct?

Thanks in advance.

Yes, however if these are managed switches you could alternatively configure Link Aggregation, which will keep a link up in the even one fails or more appropriately configure the ports in fail-over where one will automatically take over when/if the other fails.

Both of these shouldn't require STP but you could use this and just hook up the ports.

1 hour ago, Windows7ge said:

Yes, however if these are managed switches you could alternatively configure Link Aggregation, which will keep a link up in the even one fails or more appropriately configure the ports in fail-over where one will automatically take over when/if the other fails.

Both of these shouldn't require STP but you could use this and just hook up the ports.

Thank you for this, I hadn't thought about using Link Aggregation in failover mode, this seems like a better solution to the problem.