Ryzen 7 3700x or i7 9700k?

So, with the release of the new Ryzens, I felt it was the right time to upgrade my old i5 4590 to a newer gen CPU. My primary focus is competitive gaming (Fortnite mainly) at the highest fps possible and occasionally some high end triple A games (really excited for the Cyberpunk release tho). I've seen the benchmark and the Ryzen 7 3700x outperforms both the i9 and i7 in almost all non-gaming benchmarks by a large amount. But when it comes to 1080p gaming (I have a 144hz 1080p monitor), the i7 9700k seems to perform better and deliver more fps than its Ryzen competitors. So with this information in mind, I need to make a decision of which CPU I'll buy. Any advice is appreciated :D, thanks!

3 minutes ago, Brilew said:

the i7 9700k seems to perform better and deliver more fps than its Ryzen competitors. So with this information in mind, I need to make a decision of which CPU I'll buy. Any advice is appreciated :D, thanks!

Getting above 400FPS, it's up to you what to get, but I really recommend getting the 3700X, seems very solid for competitive gaming, as long as it can achieve 144FPS stable, which it seems like it does easily from the benchmarks i've seen

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

6 minutes ago, Brilew said:

I've seen the benchmark

The one and only?

You'll want to confer with more than a single source. I've seen quite a few that show the 3700x and the 9700k to be rather close in performance. There are cheaper motherboards that support overclocking the 3700x, and AMD just has a more robust platform right now.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

4 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

The one and only?

You'll want to confer with more than a single source. I've seen quite a few that show the 3700x and the 9700k to be rather close in performance.

Haha, I'm sorry, I mistyped. I saw a bunch of benchmarks, leaks, Linus' video and etc

The Ryzen 7 3700X is vastly superior than the i7 9700K value wise... with an inexpensive B450 motherboard and the stock cooler you already get pretty much all it can offer which is fine for high refresh targeting 144fps for the most part, when paired with 3200mhz memory.

The i7 9700K is more expensive, requires you to purchase a decent aftermarket cooler and Z390 boards that will successfully overclock it to 5ghz where it will gain that small advantage on gaming costs more.

We're talking about a gigantic price difference for too narrow of a performance gap, the R7 3700X should be the obvious choice but if you want to stick to Intel for the fake feeling of premium, be my guest :p'

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

If you have seen the video's it wouldn't even be a question. 

Amd ryzen 3700x beats it hard and also has great performance if you ever go into streaming

Everything Digital

No need to OC it? I was planning on getting a H115i as well with the X570 motherboard

17 minutes ago, Princess Luna said:

The Ryzen 7 3700X is vastly superior than the i7 9700K value wise... with an inexpensive B450 motherboard and the stock cooler you already get pretty much all it can offer which is fine for high refresh targeting 144fps for the most part, when paired with 3200mhz memory.

The i7 9700K is more expensive, requires you to purchase a decent aftermarket cooler and Z390 boards that will successfully overclock it to 5ghz where it will gain that small advantage on gaming costs more.

We're talking about a gigantic price difference for too narrow of a performance gap, the R7 3700X should be the obvious choice but if you want to stick to Intel for the fake feeling of premium, be my guest :p'

No need to OC it? I was planning on getting a H115i as well with the X570 motherboard

It's like Linus said. Do you do anything else with your computer? Do you actually have a screen that supports 300+ fps? Are you not gpu bottlenecked?

I once gave Luke and Linus pizza.

Proud member of the ITX club.

**SCRAPYARD WARS!!!!**

#BringBackLuke

Just now, Brilew said:

No need to OC it? I was planning on getting a H115i as well with the X570 motherboard

Why would you buy a H115i? Aesthetics? It's poor value in the great scheme of things, if you want silence there's the NH-D15 and variants or the Dark Rock Pro 4, cooling wise it won't make much of a big difference, Zen 2 seems to be limited to 4.3ghz all cores frequency due to it's architecture regardless of cooling capacity.

I'd focus money on GPU since the majority of games are GPU Bound nowadays and even if you want to stream, NVENC is the currently best solution.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

True, makes sense. The only problem is that I live in Brazil, not the US. I'll travel to the US this month and I'll have a chance to buy the Ryzen or the I7 and some ram. (Only that cause there's a limit that you can carry or else I'll have to pay absurd taxes in Brazil.) The rest (Mobo, Cooler and PSU) I'll buy over here, and the Noctua coolers are around 50 dollars more expensive than the corsair ones, so idk if I should get the Noctua or the Corsair 

19 minutes ago, Princess Luna said:

Why would you buy a H115i? Aesthetics? It's poor value in the great scheme of things, if you want silence there's the NH-D15 and variants or the Dark Rock Pro 4, cooling wise it won't make much of a big difference, Zen 2 seems to be limited to 4.3ghz all cores frequency due to it's architecture regardless of cooling capacity.

I'd focus money on GPU since the majority of games are GPU Bound nowadays and even if you want to stream, NVENC is the currently best solution.

As seen in all the benchmarks today, for a strictly gaming rig, the 9700K is going to be the clear winner for pushing FPS. It wins across the board in averages and lows. Wait for the 15% price cut on the 9700K, though. It should be coming this week. That'll put the 9700K at $340.

Also something to take into account, will you be upgrading monitors in the future?  Is this current PC going to potentially get you into 1440p or 4k gaming later on?  If so it becomes an even easier choice (the 3700x).  Almost all of the gains you get with the super high intel clocks come in 1080p gaming.  When you get into higher rez, those benefits pretty much disappear between all the higher end cpus and it becomes 100% GPU dependent.

Just some food for thought!  I would certainly go 3700x as it is an all around beast of a chip that could be useful for so many things. Furthermore should be able to push most if not all esports titles to 144hz.

El Zoido:  9900k + RTX 4090 / 32 gb 3600mHz RAM / z390 Aorus Master 

The Box:  3900x + RTX 3080 /  32 gb 3000mHz RAM / B550 MSI mortar 

2 minutes ago, Zberg said:

Is this current PC going to potentially get you into 1440p or 4k gaming later on?  If so it becomes an even easier choice (the 3700x).

There's still a disparity at 1440p nowadays. See here:

https://www.techspot.com/review/1869-amd-ryzen-3900x-ryzen-3700x/

By the way, I love your name and avatar. I'm a huge Futurama fan :P

Mijo, at this point, is all up to up to you... keep this in mind though... 3700x + b450 tomahawk vs  9700k + z390 + Dark rock pro 4 can mean the difference between a 2060 and a 2070 super... es food for thought

Bolivia.

• 5 months later...

It's not that hard. If you are on a budget or are making a workstation PC (editing etc) go for Amd. If all you are doing is gaming and don't care how much you spend, Intel. I know this thread is old but other users googling might use this advice.