ASUS ThunderboltEX II Add-on Thunderbolt 20 Gbps Cards Now Available

brownninja97

Before i start i must say brace yourselves, im going on a news tangent again. BANZAI

116a.jpg

116b.jpg

I know what you guys are thinking and you are wrong, this is a pci-e card but it doesnt work with everything, it uses some special chipsets( Intel's DSL5320 and DSL5520 chipsets) so as a result it will only work on asus boards, i think this is retarded and they just lost a lot of potential customers because a lot of people use other boards, not everyone likes the gold EVERYTHING on their boards, hopefully the list of compatible boards increases in the future.

compatiable boards

MAXIMUS VI EXTREME

SABERTOOTH Z87
Z87-PRO Z87-PRO(V EDITION)
Z87-PLUS Z87-PLUS(VivoMouse EDITION)
Z87-A Z87-A(NFC EXPRESS EDITION)

http://www.techpowerup.com/197325/asus-thunderboltex-ii-add-on-thunderbolt-20-gbps-cards-now-available.html

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ThunderboltEX_II/

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

This is the craziest thing in the world.

Quote me to get a reply!

-_- only ASUS boards they could of sold a lot of these if it was not limited 

Price? (not that I care, just curious)

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

For those wondering what mobo it is compatible with

MAXIMUS VI EXTREME

SABERTOOTH Z87
Z87-PRO Z87-PRO(V EDITION)
Z87-PLUS Z87-PLUS(VivoMouse EDITION)
Z87-A Z87-A(NFC EXPRESS EDITION)

Intel 3930K @ 4,4ghz | Asus Rampage IV Extreme | Corsair Dominator GT 16gb | EVGA GTX 680 Classified | Asus Xonar Xense | Corsair HX 1050 | Corsair H100i | Corsair Force 3 120gb | Western Digital 2tb Black |

It only works on Asus's board because it requires TB_Header, which Asus built on several of their motherboards, not becoz it use DSL5320 and DSL5520 chipsets. (Gigabyte's thunderbolt board use the same chipset as well.) Theoretically any Asus motherboard that has TB_Header can use this two cards...

can u actually buy it? if not this is super old news and known about this since last year...

can u actually buy it? if not this is super old news and known about this since last year...

its coming to stores now, that means in about a week normally 

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

... Why does it have DisplayPort In?

because Thunderbolt can carry a display port video signal separate from the 20 Gb/s, in macs all of the graphics are internal and custom made for it so they can have it go through the pci to the thunderbolt. Aftermarket cards don't support it so display port cable from video card to thunderbolt card is needed.

... Why does it have DisplayPort In?

display port and thunderbolt look the same

Listen if you care.

this is stupid. they need a universally compatible card. I would have bought one, but now I dont care.

i5 4440, 8GB 1600 mhz, Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H, SX900 128gb SSD, 850w 80+ Gold, FD R4, 270

because Thunderbolt can carry a display port video signal separate from the 20 Gb/s, in macs all of the graphics are internal and custom made for it so they can have it go through the pci to the thunderbolt. Aftermarket cards don't support it so display port cable from video card to thunderbolt card is needed.

Thank you. That seems really inefficient, but if you absolutely need to have your display go through that one thunderbolt port rather than bringing the DisplayPort directly to the monitor, I guess it's fine to have the option.

display port and thunderbolt look the same

Mini DisplayPort and Thunderbolt have the same shape, but I was talking about the full-size DisplayPort connectors that are clearly visible on the cards and labeled "DisplayPort IN".

one thing i would love to see for thunderbolt would be a graphics card mounted inside my monitor for complete g-sync experience. So when I get home i can connect my laptop to the monitor and get some extra performance and don't have to worry about transferring my documents/game saves to a desktop machine.