Blocking specific applications from using only specific connections - Easy way?

GetacFanboy
Go to solution Solved by SparkShot,

Glasswire has some tools that you might find helpful, but they are only available on the paid version.

I have a laptop running Windows 10 Pro mounted in my vehicle so I can use navigation software and listen to music on services like spotify and youtube. When on the road, I enable my phones wifi hotspot and connect my laptop to the hotspot to connect to the internet. I try to refrain from this as I have a 0.5GB data cap. When at home, I use my home network which doesn't have a data cap. When public wifi is available, I use that, and don't care if there's a data cap. 

With as little as I use spotify for undownloaded songs, the 0.5GB really doesn't effect me too much so it's hard to justify a larger and more expensive plan. My issue is that other apps like to update and take that 0.5GB for seemingly no reason.

Is there an easy way to block all apps except for the ones I specify from using the internet, and then toggle this filter when on other wifi networks?

Any suggestion is appreciated! 

Thank you in advanced! 

Other than the metered connections mode in windows, you can go in windows firewall and turn off all connections to all apps except the ones you want and sett that in a firewall profile.

On 7/6/2019 at 2:05 PM, Electronics Wizardy said:

Other than the metered connections mode in windows, you can go in windows firewall and turn off all connections to all apps except the ones you want and sett that in a firewall profile.

My issue with that is numerous built in windows applications that I can't find the path for decide that they still deserve the right to run on a metered connection. I was wondering if anyone knew of a third party application that might be suited for this task?

6 minutes ago, GetacFanboy said:

My issue with that is numerous built in windows applications that I can't find the path for decide that they still deserve the right to run on a metered connection. I was wondering if anyone knew of a third party application that might be suited for this task?

I mean windows firewall can be set to block all but your program you want.

12 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

I mean windows firewall can be set to block all but your program you want.

Oh. How do you do that?

47 minutes ago, GetacFanboy said:

Oh. How do you do that?

open windows firewall, set one zone to use for the limited wifi. Make that zone block all by default, you should have no connection now.  Then make an exception for the apps you want.

21 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

open windows firewall, set one zone to use for the limited wifi. Make that zone block all by default, you should have no connection now.  Then make an exception for the apps you want.

Could you please be more specific with your instructions?

Once windows firewall is open, what do I click on to set a zone to use for the limited wifi?

Once that rule is set, how do I make an exception for the apps I want?

Thanks! 

Glasswire has some tools that you might find helpful, but they are only available on the paid version.

• 1 month later...