What side should I use as an intake and what orientation should my power supply be?

HealthyMindFresh

Hi,

My question is in the title and here is a pic of my first build which I need help with. Also it makes a lot of noise so if anyone could help with that that would be appreciated.

IMG_20190706_163507.jpg

By intake I mean like should I flip the fans so that the small fan takes in air and the big one exhausts

The front is usually the intake. The PSU should obviously be oriented in the only way that gives its fan any access to air. Can't really help you with the noise, as you haven't told us what in the PC is making the noise. 

:)

How you have the PSU installed is correct. 

Generally for case airflow is intake at front blowing air through the case with exhaust at the rear.

Edited by Spotty

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

2 minutes ago, seon123 said:

The front is usually the intake. The PSU should obviously be oriented in the only way that gives its fan any access to air. Can't really help you with the noise, as you haven't told us what in the PC is making the noise. 

The fans seem to be spinning at max all the time and I don't know how to fix that

There's no set reason to have a bottom front intake fan especially if you lack a graphics card to blow cool air at, it's just kind of 'everyone does it'. Swapping the rear fan to blow cool air toward the CPU cooler and VRM and RAM and the PSU air intake may be more beneficial, the front fan can exhaust the warm air. No there's not going to be stagnant air at the top of the case heating everything up, it will be fine. Try flipping the fans around and experimenting and find what works the best for you and your setup!

As for the fans running full speed, there's probably a fan control in BIOS that needs to be enabled for the fan headers in use.

4 minutes ago, Bitter said:

There's no set reason to have a bottom front intake fan especially if you lack a graphics card to blow cool air at, it's just kind of 'everyone does it'.

"Everyone does it" because the front typically has filters, while the rear and top usually does not. 

3 minutes ago, seon123 said:

"Everyone does it" because the front typically has filters, while the rear and top usually does not. 

"Everyone did it" long before there were filters on computers, I've found myself getting better results flipping things around in more than a few instances over the years but each case is individual. Also nothing is preventing the rear fan from having a filter attached to it.

But seriously, I don't get the huge deal about filters on case fans. Just dust your case out every now and then and it's fine, filters weren't a common thing until about 10 years ago and all the computers prior without them were fine too. Just shut it off, blow the crap out with some 'canned air' and go about your life. Simply placing the computer up off the floor even 6 inches cuts down on the dust entering it greatly and the front intake is the closest to the floor where all the dirt is.

3 hours ago, Bitter said:

There's no set reason to have a bottom front intake fan especially if you lack a graphics card to blow cool air at, it's just kind of 'everyone does it'. Swapping the rear fan to blow cool air toward the CPU cooler and VRM and RAM and the PSU air intake may be more beneficial, the front fan can exhaust the warm air. No there's not going to be stagnant air at the top of the case heating everything up, it will be fine. Try flipping the fans around and experimenting and find what works the best for you and your setup!

As for the fans running full speed, there's probably a fan control in BIOS that needs to be enabled for the fan headers in use.

I tried many things like swapping them around and using only one fan but it still creates the same noise level so I just unplugged the case fans and it's is really quiet but will this affect anything? 

4 hours ago, HealthyMindFresh said:

The fans seem to be spinning at max all the time and I don't know how to fix that

Go into the BIOS and make sure the fans are set to DC mode if they are DC fans. PWM mode on DC fans will make them soon at 100% all the time. Also check your temperatures. 

31 minutes ago, HealthyMindFresh said:

I tried many things like swapping them around and using only one fan but it still creates the same noise level so I just unplugged the case fans and it's is really quiet but will this affect anything? 

Probably run hotter than it should under load

7 minutes ago, seon123 said:

Go into the BIOS and make sure the fans are set to DC mode if they are DC fans. PWM mode on DC fans will make them soon at 100% all the time. Also check your temperatures. 

What this guy said, you need to go into BIOS and check your fan settings. I also said this.

12 hours ago, seon123 said:

I am a bit of a noob and don't know where the PWM thing is. (I have an AsRock B450M HDV Motherboard) Also I discovered that the 80mm fan at the back is making all the noise. I have the 120mm fan as an outage at the front and I *was* using a splitter for the fans as I only has one 3 pin connector.

12 hours ago, Bitter said:

Probably run hotter than it should under load

What this guy said, you need to go into BIOS and check your fan settings. I also said this.

So would it be dangerous to use no case fans? (I only have an APU)

7 hours ago, HealthyMindFresh said:

I am a bit of a noob and don't know where the PWM thing is. (I have an AsRock B450M HDV Motherboard) Also I discovered that the 80mm fan at the back is making all the noise. I have the 120mm fan as an outage at the front and I *was* using a splitter for the fans as I only has one 3 pin connector.

Have you read the instruction manual for the motherboard? I'm fairly certain that will tell you what you need to know and where to find it.

7 hours ago, HealthyMindFresh said:

It could be, yes.

On 7/7/2019 at 4:52 AM, HealthyMindFresh said:

Technically no. Your main risk is the CPU getting too hot, however Modern CPU's are designed to increase fan speeds, lower frequencies or if absolutely necessary shut themselves down to prevent damage. 

If it's an APU, so most likely it does not pump out a lot of heat. A single intake fan and the CPU cooler you have should be enough to keep it's temps in check. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

If it's just the 80mm rear fan that's making the noise, just remove or replace it. The PSU fan will serve as your exhaust fan if it is set to always stay on.