Network keeps failing, is my configuration wrong?

Fasauceome

I got new cable (comcast) and we bought our own modem this time around. We have an Arris Surfboard SB8200.

The way I have it set up is:

Coax -> Modem -> switch -> 2 routers -> 2 switches (off one router)

So our modem connects to a large switch to serve a few devices directly, as well as both our routers, but I found the modem is totally unable to daisy chain switches, so if I go modem -> switch -> switch, no connection. 

The routers are two apple airport routers, been using them for years.

Does this configuration have something wrong with it, something that would cause our network to constantly go down? Our old modem with WOW! cable didn't have this problem, occasionally service would drop out but we chalked that up to WOW! being bad, because it happened like once every couple months.

old configuration:

modem -> 2 routers and a switch -> switch

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

ur modem has to be set in bridge mode if u want to put a switch between and then routers i think

itl work without bridge mode from  modem > router > switch but   modem > switch > router im pretty sure it needs bridge mode

(◑‿◐)

14 minutes ago, Valkyrie Lenneth said:

itl work without bridge mode from  modem > router > switch

that was the config I had it in until this morning, it had all the same problems unfortunately.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

The SB8200 is a standalone cable modem, no need for bridged mode since it doesn't have an internal router. You should have the router plugged into the modem, not the switch. Anything that is connected to the switch, will then try and pull an IP address from your ISP and they usually have a limit build into the .cm file that your modem pulls for provisioning, usually in the realm of 1-3 for residential customers. You may need to contact Comcast and inquire on there CPE limit for the package you have. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

19 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

You should have the router plugged into the modem, not the switch

Alright, went back to my old configuration.

Does this type of issue usually result in intermittent failures?

Primary PC:

Just now, fasauceome said:

Alright, went back to my old configuration.

Does this type of issue usually result in intermittent failures?

Nope, will just have everything pull DHCP from your router instead of public IPs. 

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Just now, Skiiwee29 said:

Nope, will just have everything pull DHCP from your router instead of public IPs. 

Ok, I'll still look into that but my main problem is that the network just cuts out more and more frequently, until I need to have my modem shut of for a few hours for it to work normally again. Comcast customer service is yet to be of help.

Primary PC:

5 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Ok, I'll still look into that but my main problem is that the network just cuts out more and more frequently, until I need to have my modem shut of for a few hours for it to work normally again. Comcast customer service is yet to be of help.

if thats the case, almost sounds like its overheating? Does it get very warm/hot to the touch during this time?

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

2 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

if thats the case, almost sounds like its overheating? Does it get very warm/hot to the touch during this time?

no, the unit itself is fanless and I've made sure it's unobstructed

Primary PC:

1 minute ago, fasauceome said:

no, the unit itself is fanless and I've made sure it's unobstructed

I know, I think all modems are still fanless, but its to the point where passive really isnt cutting it much anymore IMO from my experience dealing with modems, especially 3.1 modems which yours is. Usually if a device is failing overtime and requires a reboot and/or shut down for a bit to start working again, its usually heat related in my experience. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

55 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

I know, I think all modems are still fanless, but its to the point where passive really isnt cutting it much anymore IMO from my experience dealing with modems, especially 3.1 modems which yours is. Usually if a device is failing overtime and requires a reboot and/or shut down for a bit to start working again, its usually heat related in my experience

I'll get a fan and test that out, but at the moment it's in the coldest part of the basement.

Primary PC: