RX 580 vs RX 590

frozened

Are there any major difference between these 2 video cards? According to the number, the 590 should be better than the 580. Right now, the Sapphire RX 580 Nitro+ SE is at CAD $319, whereas the RX 590 version is at $300.

Are there any other good suggestion for mid-tier video cards and brand?

RX 590 is usually heavily ignored because being more expensive to the point you can usually pick a V56 for not much more or like 1070 ~ 980 Ti makes it a really bad purchase, every either go a bit bigger or bit lower on the 580 which performs about the same when you OC it hard.

If it's priced lower where you plan to buy it could simply be it has been stuck on stock for so long and now with the RX 5700 coming this card has no place on the market any more and they just wanna get rid of it.

If you wanna spend a bit more the mentioned RX 5700 could be a really good card if you want AMD, I think worth saving for instead of picking the older RX 500's cards or even nVidia Pascal/Maxwell used.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Are they both Sapphire cards? Sapphire reportedly makes some of the best 570/580/590 cards. You can use that link in your other post to get an estimate of the difference in frame rates. Make sure you get an 8GB version. I think the Nitro is clocked a bit higher than the pulse. As noted above, the RX 5700 is to replace the Vega 56, so there could be some good close out prices on the Vega 56 soon.

25 minutes ago, Princess Luna said:

RX 590 is usually heavily ignored because being more expensive to the point you can usually pick a V56 for not much more or like 1070 ~ 980 Ti makes it a really bad purchase, every either go a bit bigger or bit lower on the 580 which performs about the same when you OC it hard.

If it's priced lower where you plan to buy it could simply be it has been stuck on stock for so long and now with the RX 5700 coming this card has no place on the market any more and they just wanna get rid of it.

If you wanna spend a bit more the mentioned RX 5700 could be a really good card if you want AMD, I think worth saving for instead of picking the older RX 500's cards or even nVidia Pascal/Maxwell used.

I just want a reliable video card. I don't really play games that require demanding graphics or plan to OC the video card. So, it's fine to pick the 590 over the 580 if the price is similar?

The RX 5700 will probably be out of my budget since it's at $450 CAD.

3 minutes ago, Bearmann said:

Are they both Sapphire cards? Sapphire reportedly makes some of the best 570/580/590 cards. You can use that link in your other post to get an estimate of the difference in frame rates. Make sure you get an 8GB version. I think the Nitro is clocked a bit higher than the pulse. As noted above, the RX 5700 is to replace the Vega 56, so there could be some good close out prices on the Vega 56 soon.

Yeah, they're both Sapphire Nitro+ Special Editions 580 and 590.

I see.

Edit: I should probably post the build on my other thread than here.

Now that you've chosen a GPU, you need to close this thread out. You're not supposed to be running two similar threads at the same time. :)

Oh, I didn't know that.

And how do I close this thread?

remember the 590 gpu is the same as the 580, just a heavy oc'd one. I agree with Princess Luna and sapphire usually has very good gpus to oc, I have seen multiple people running the 580 at 1500mhz core and 2250mhz memory. Thats like the maximum you can aim and maybe you dont get it that high, but maybe you do! if not at least something close to that