Red Mini Mags Exposed

Zarkex01

Would be interesting Linus doing a video about this, and also trying to use Msata drives with higher capacity, or even getting some premium slc drives from another brands

Workstation:  7900x @ 5.73Ghz || Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX || Shapphire 7900XTX Pulse || 2x 32GB Geil RGB DDR5-6400 @ 6400 CL32 || XPG Power Reactor 850w @240V || Thermalright PS120SE

Server (Unraid): HP EliteDesk 800 G1 || i7 4770 @ Stock || 4x8GB DDR3 Crucial 1600Mhz

Server (Debian Lite x64): Raspberry 4b 8GB w/ Sandisk Extreme Pro 64GB XC V30 A2 SD Card

So, just saw this video, so in theory you are able to install your own ssds in reds mags and not have to spend much money doing so? I mean it would be interesting if they made a video on the topic. I recommend to watch the video first as it does give some context to my vague statements.

saw this on reddit, would love if someone here could confirm by taking one apart. Also it would be neat to see if LTT can install their own ssd and modify a mag

Titan Powered

@AndreiArgeanu & @Burning Derp

Threads merged with the existing discussion

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Hi guys,YouTube suggested me this video where it is being showed that RED mini Mags are just a mSATA with an adapter. I think you guys can build your own with all the tools you have!

https://youtu.be/KEzLDqELh70

On 7/13/2019 at 8:25 AM, Relations said:

Perhaps Linus can dig into his Mags and gives us his opinion?

On 7/13/2019 at 8:38 AM, TheSLSAMG said:

I'd be interested in Linus taking a look at this.

On 7/13/2019 at 3:17 PM, Mihle said:

I hope Linus explores is too, as he have larger audience.

On 7/15/2019 at 7:15 AM, devangnagda said:

New video idea on RED cameras

18 hours ago, debj said:

Why not this topic?

On 7/14/2019 at 8:09 PM, Thinking_Ego said:

Anyways how could we get someone like linus to see this?

Linus addressed this in his live stream with Anthony. 

I wouldn't expect anything more from him since this is not news to him - he did mention it before, the only news here is how much traction it got.

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

I think its a good idea to put a 1tb/2tb ssd on a 128gb mag and test how this work on a red camera? DIY maybe.

Yes, I heard the podcast, and really we can't do anything about these things? This makes me feel cheated. Red sells cheap as their premium and we have to accept it?

I think its the time that we as a consumer do something. And what we really can do except changing the brand for next purchase?

1 hour ago, Lathlaer said:

Linus addressed this in his live stream with Anthony. 

I wouldn't expect anything more from him since this is not news to him - he did mention it before, the only news here is how much traction it got.

Yeah but people are asking to try with other msata SSD, with real premium drives (slc), higher capacity or whatever, even making a redundancy drive (may not be that hard)

Workstation:  7900x @ 5.73Ghz || Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX || Shapphire 7900XTX Pulse || 2x 32GB Geil RGB DDR5-6400 @ 6400 CL32 || XPG Power Reactor 850w @240V || Thermalright PS120SE

Server (Unraid): HP EliteDesk 800 G1 || i7 4770 @ Stock || 4x8GB DDR3 Crucial 1600Mhz

Server (Debian Lite x64): Raspberry 4b 8GB w/ Sandisk Extreme Pro 64GB XC V30 A2 SD Card

Just now, Chriexpe said:

Yeah but people are asking to try with other msata SSD, with real premium drives (slc), higher capacity or whatever, even making a redundancy drive (may not be that hard)

I mean, yeah, if this is a project suggestion then it's a whole different matter. But aside from that people are just asking for Linus' comment on the RED mags which he already gave and it's nothing new to him.

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

56 minutes ago, debj said:

I think its a good idea to put a 1tb/2tb ssd on a 128gb mag and test how this work on a red camera? DIY maybe.

Yes, I heard the podcast, and really we can't do anything about these things? This makes me feel cheated. Red sells cheap as their premium and we have to accept it?

I think its the time that we as a consumer do something. And what we really can do except changing the brand for next purchase?

You say "we" but are you even a RED customer? Did you buy those mags since you feel cheated?

I mean, sure, RED mags have a huge mark up on that but if what the CEO says (that they provide free data recovery for their customers) then it's not that black & white. 

If you are a RED customer and have their accesories then honestly, you'd have to go and rant about most of them. They charge ridiculous amount of money for a cable, for a camera holder for a small LCD screen etc. Linus addressed it all. 

Accesories for expensive things are expensive. If you want to change tires as an option for a Rolls Royce Phantom you can be paying up to 10-12k USD for that.

1 hour ago, Lathlaer said:

I mean, yeah, if this is a project suggestion then it's a whole different matter. But aside from that people are just asking for Linus' comment on the RED mags which he already gave and it's nothing new to him.

That's what I'm saying, if they disassembled a red camera, why not this? Like, they can go even further by buying an Msata adapter to Sata and using an raid 1 adapter for 2 SSD or m.2.

I have watched those videos and yeah, apart from the fact that the mags are ridiculously marked up (though it's hard for me to feel bad for someone who has a 50k USD camera, just as I wouldn't feel bad if someone complained that they had to pay for tires of a Rolls Royce the money that amounts to a some people's car worth), two things are clearly a violation:

1. The fact that it's been advertised as a 512GB SSD when in fact it was a 480.

2. The fact that it's branded "Made in USA" in clear violation of FTC guidelines.

And what's tragic is that, well, obviously you're not gonna get the full capacity (you never do) but here instead of getting a small part of 512GB taken away, you are getting the portion taken away from 480 which results in - what was it? - 413GB of actual space?

well. 
LTT + Madrinas coffee custom RED mags?

- 3D printed enclosure.
- Order passthrough pcb's from somewhere.

- aliexpress for some cheap SSD's.

????? 
profit.

So, anyone heard of this channel that does a few videos on red mini mag on how they are just generic msata ssd, even bad generic msata ssd with a few dollars worth of connectiors for 40-50x the public BOM price.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaXkBP-tPP-gIYXdABi7vjA

There's nothing special with them, no software nor firmware secrete sauce to stop you from popping a standard msata ssd into a red mini mag and call it a day. Hell, you can get the cheapest 128GB mags, load up a sweet 2TB 860evo in there and have the best msata mini mag thing there is for less than the cost of the next step up!!

Disclosure, I don't have any affliction with any of the companies or entities mentioned. Just a simple tech user that ran a tech business in Hanoi so I have insider bulk quotes for storage and memory products. But it's just a level above retail so nothing crazy. In a flash sale you will get better prices than me. English is not my native tongue and it's 2am now, sorry for typos or things not being well written

System Spec: H87 mobo from Zotac, I3 4130, 4GB ddr3 1600mhz Cas 11, WD green 2TB all in side of a Cooler Mater Elite 120

I know I'm late to the party, but I just don't understand why people are so shocked and surprised about this. What else did people expect to be in those mags, some magic potion...?

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

I do love it when Linus goes savage mode ?

Also, I stand corrected about the 480/512GB part - it's actually something I didn't know and so I've learned something ?

So the video is actually happening!

https://youtu.be/nqJXu4K1igg

Linus needs to get a Blackmagic Ursa camera and do a side by side hardware and workflow comparison.  He's probably spending way too much money running a Red operation in 2019.  If nothing else it would be interesting to see how these systems compare in a fast production environment.