Fan configuration and control software

Leopard

Hey,

Have been struggling with fan-related topics and wanted to ask for advice.

I have the current setup

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel - Core i7-9700K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($364.99 @ Amazon) 
CPU Cooler: NZXT - Kraken X62 Rev 2 98.17 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($139.89 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte - Z390 AORUS PRO WIFI ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($189.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Storage: Samsung - 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($169.99 @ B&H) 
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB WINDFORCE OC Video Card 
Case: Fractal Design - Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case  ($89.99 @ Walmart) 
Power Supply: Corsair - RMx (2018) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply 

My fan configuration is

2 x 140mm NZXT fans connected to the pump, front intake.

1 Dynamic X2 GP-12 fan connected directly to MB, rear exhaust 

1 Dynamic X2 GP-12 fan connected directly to MB, top exhaust (in the far back, if it makes any difference)

My temperatures are

Idle - 40c both.

Gaming - CPU peaks at 52c and GPU between 78c and 83c.

My questions are

1. In terms of fan quality, will buying "better" fans make any significant difference in terms of cooling?

2. In theory, will another exhaust fan at the top make any difference?

3.I feel a bit lost in terms of controlling fans. 

There are GPU fans, fans on the radiator and fans connected directly to the motherboard.

Do you control each of them individually? Does the motherboard takes care of it's own fans? 

I tried MSI AB for GPU related fan curve and CAM software for the rest, but it seems like CAM can only control the pump and the radiator fans.

Will different fan speeds of exhaust and intake at the same time affect performance?

I mumbled a bit, you can feel my confusion, sorry about that.

Thanks!!

Move the rad to roof exhaust and put 2 fans in front for intake. 2080ti is a 300W card and needs good ventilation if you want low'ish temps.

22 minutes ago, thinwalrus said:

Move the rad to roof exhaust and put 2 fans in front for intake. 2080ti is a 300W card and needs good ventilation if you want low'ish temps.

Thanks for the reply!

My radiator is 280mm which can't be top mounted in this case

I guess push pull on rad would provide more air for gpu too.

There are better performing fans that can help lower temps but it's better described as similar cooling at lower noise. If you aren't already running fans at max rpm, you can try doing that and seeing how it affects temps. Better fans may achieve similar cooling without as much noise. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

1 hour ago, WoodenMarker said:

There are better performing fans that can help lower temps but it's better described as similar cooling at lower noise. If you aren't already running fans at max rpm, you can try doing that and seeing how it affects temps. Better fans may achieve similar cooling without as much noise. 

Got it, thanks!

I will try to run all at max rpm and watch temps and act accordingly.

Does running fans at max rpm constantly hurt them in the long run as opposed to running at 60-80%?

My gaming sessions are usually not more than 1-2 hours straight, once a day or so.

7 hours ago, Leopard said:

Does running fans at max rpm constantly hurt them in the long run as opposed to running at 60-80%?

My gaming sessions are usually not more than 1-2 hours straight, once a day or so.

Nope, they're designed to run at 100% rpm. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

1. No

2. Not really, no. But as said, moving rad to exhaust would.

3. It's just as you noted. CAM can only control fans connected to the pump and mobo those which are connected directly to it. On controlling perspective, it doesn't matter how you connect them. Mobo would probably offer individual control per headers anyway. And speeds can vary without them having major effect on anything. Important part is that air is moving, and it's moving to same direction through the case.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

On 7/2/2019 at 12:28 AM, Leopard said:

Thanks for the reply!

My radiator is 280mm which can't be top mounted in this case

You sure about that? It has the mounting holes for 280, i know the manual says otherwise.. But maybe you can offset it a little bit and it will work?

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

10 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

1. No

2. Not really, no. But as said, moving rad to exhaust would.

3. It's just as you noted. CAM can only control fans connected to the pump and mobo those which are connected directly to it. On controlling perspective, it doesn't matter how you connect them. Mobo would probably offer individual control per headers anyway. And speeds can vary without them having major effect on anything. Important part is that air is moving, and it's moving to same direction through the case.

Thank you. I will have a bit of time today to do some CAM/AB/SpeedFan testing.

4 hours ago, DoctorNick said:

You sure about that? It has the mounting holes for 280, i know the manual says otherwise.. But maybe you can offset it a little bit and it will work?

Thanks for the reply.

I didn't check, trusted the manual :)