I need input on a "budget" headphone + mic + DAC setup :)

Go to solution Solved by rice guru,
4 minutes ago, Wolfgang393 said:

Great song btw.

I think I feel comfortable with the 770s 250 ohms. I shall pair them with your suggested amp too. Unless you have a better idea :) I can't have sound leakage. Much love, I hope sometime I will be able to try out open-backed headphones :) I've been very fortunate in life so far, so I'm optimistic.

sounds great the 770's are often praised for their wide sound stage great subbass and sound isolation so sounds peerfect for you I thought hope you enjoy them . 

1 minute ago, Wolfgang393 said:

greatly appreciate your help. It's a big world. I thought I was lost looking for 1080ti's 8 months ago :P people like you make the world work :) 

no problem man knowledge in hobbies come with time and research and experience . I was in your exact same position at one point too.  hopefully you enjoy what I recommended as I really like those headphones as well and had a decent amount of time with them and am working my way to get a hold of one of those as my collection lacks a planar headphone. 

3 minutes ago, rice guru said:

no problem man knowledge in hobbies come with time and research and experience . I was in your exact same position at one point too.  hopefully you enjoy what I recommended as I really like those headphones as well and had a decent amount of time with them and am working my way to get a hold of one of those as my collection lacks a planar headphone. 

One quick question, since you've used them, how crazy was the sound leakage? I'm worried I won't be able to listen to loud music all the time or have audio disrupt my family.

Thoughts become things. What you hold in your mind, you will hold in your hand. 

Be happy for yourself.

My rig :) :

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/tX4hWD

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz 8-Core Processor  
Motherboard: Asus - Prime X470-Pro ATX AM4 Motherboard 
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory 
Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive   
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  
GPU: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11 GB AORUS Video Card 
Case: Fractal Design - Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case  
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  

Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit  
Monitor: AOC - G2770PQU 27.0" 1920x1080 144 Hz Monitor 
Keyboard: Corsair - K70 RGB RAPIDFIRE Wired Gaming Keyboard 
Mouse: Corsair - Sabre RGB Wired Optical Mouse  
Custom: Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO, 250 ohms 

but this is just one guys opinion try other forums maybe they may have other suggestions. check out hifiguides . they have a pretty responsive community I hang out there too. and they have lots of guys with more knoledge and experience than I do they may have better options to fit you as I can tell this is a pretty significant purchase . 

Just now, Wolfgang393 said:

One quick question, since you've used them, how crazy was the sound leakage? I'm worried I won't be able to listen to loud music all the time or have audio disrupt my family.

most if not all open backs will leak like crazy 

compared to closed backs at least.  but if yoiu are at least like 5 feet away it should be fine. they will hear sound but noit clearly

1 minute ago, rice guru said:

compared to closed backs at least.  but if yoiu are at least like 5 feet away it should be fine. they will hear sound but noit clearly

So it's safe to say, if I were to stream or play video games with chat, I might want the closed back 770's? paired with your suggested amp.

edit: they seem like the safest bet. But having an open-backed soundstage seems like a religious experience.

Be happy for yourself.

Spoiler

Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  

so after a quick sound leak test with my hd 58x  I could go beyond 5 feet and still hear my music somewhat clearly . espcially high hats and voices in rap only after 7-8 feet could Ionly hear high hats.  for reference  I was listening to KOD by J cole. 

3 minutes ago, Wolfgang393 said:

So it's safe to say, if I were to stream or play video games with chat, I might want the closed back 770's? paired with your suggested amp.

edit: they seem like the safest bet. But having an open-backed soundstage seems like a religious experience.

people like to exagerate their experiences . to me it was less like a religiuous experience but more so  felt like I agined a new skill where audio is sorta layered where I can listen to music but also hear my friend calling me  and the clicky claks of my mechanical keyboard in a background layer. and the incresed width in sound stage airyness is definitely a plus.  I still love my closed backs  though heck I USE in ears which are even more closed than closed backs when I really just want to be alone with the music in bed. 

they all have their perks and and caviats but no form factor is better than the other  it's all about the purpose and music taste. 

2 minutes ago, rice guru said:

I was listening to KOD by J cole. 

Great song btw.

they all have their perks and and caviats but no form factor is better than the other  it's all about the purpose and music taste. 

I think I feel comfortable with the 770s 250 ohms. I shall pair them with your suggested amp too. Unless you have a better idea :) I can't have sound leakage. Much love, I hope sometime I will be able to try out open-backed headphones :) I've been very fortunate in life so far, so I'm optimistic.

Be happy for yourself.

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, Wolfgang393 said:

Great song btw.

sounds great the 770's are often praised for their wide sound stage great subbass and sound isolation so sounds peerfect for you I thought hope you enjoy them . 

6 minutes ago, rice guru said:

I'm sure I will. Anything is better than my Razer Kraken usbs from 5 years ago LOL and they're held together by duct tape. 

I still need a mic, and I'm sure I can find one on my own, like the ModMic 5 or something, but  if you have any recommendations, I'm open :)

Have a great day!

Be happy for yourself.

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Wolfgang393 said:

I'm sure I will. Anything is better than my Razer Kraken usbs from 5 years ago LOL and they're held together by duct tape. 

I still need a mic, and I'm sure I can find one on my own, like the ModMic 5 or something, but  if you have any recommendations, I'm open :)

mod mics are pretty good. I personally use a blue snowball on an arm and they can be had for pretty cheap nowadays as they go on sale pretty often.  but Im not a streamer or a recording artist or anything so take this comment with a grain of salt.

4 minutes ago, rice guru said:

mod mics are pretty good. I personally use a blue snowball on an arm and they can be had for pretty cheap nowadays as they go on sale pretty often.  but Im not a streamer or a recording artist or anything so take this comment with a grain of salt.

Most mics sound good enough for me. Plus the worse, the funnier lol. look at Tyler1. Still using the Logitech G403. 30 dollar headphones xd

edit: I'm placing my order. Should I get insurance for the amp and headphones? it's a few bucks. Idk the death rate of these things.

Be happy for yourself.

Spoiler

Most mics sound good enough for me. Plus the worse, the funnier lol. look at Tyler1. Still using the Logitech G403. 30 dollar headphones xd

lol pretty sure thats mostly for his destructive tendencies. 

3 minutes ago, Wolfgang393 said:

edit: I'm placing my order. Should I get insurance for the amp and headphones? it's a few bucks. Idk the death rate of these things.

i mean they dont typically die if abused but if your paranoid a few dollars is cheap for peace of mind.

9 minutes ago, rice guru said:

i mean they dont typically die if abused but if your paranoid a few dollars is cheap for peace of mind.

Really appreciate your help, just placed my order! I'll be a real audiophile in 4 days :) Or at least a beginner lol

Be happy for yourself.

Spoiler

16 minutes ago, Wolfgang393 said:

Really appreciate your help, just placed my order! I'll be a real audiophile in 4 days :) Or at least a beginner lol

No problem man anytime. Watch that wallet though and don't get ahead of yourself this can be a very expensive hobby

On 7/1/2019 at 11:31 PM, rice guru said:

No problem man anytime. Watch that wallet though and don't get ahead of yourself this can be a very expensive hobby

Yo rice, I was just wondering if you had any recommendations for extension cables? I just got my 770's shipped and it turns out they have a (pretty short) coiled cable. They came with the 3.5 mm to 1/4 inch adapter on them, so I was thinking I could get a longer 3.5 mm female to 3.5 mm male adapter and have that function as an extension. I'd pretty much just be adding length. Do you think this would work?

Be happy for yourself.

Spoiler

44 minutes ago, Wolfgang393 said:

Yo rice, I was just wondering if you had any recommendations for extension cables? I just got my 770's shipped and it turns out they have a (pretty short) coiled cable. They came with the 3.5 mm to 1/4 inch adapter on them, so I was thinking I could get a longer 3.5 mm female to 3.5 mm male adapter and have that function as an extension. I'd pretty much just be adding length. Do you think this would work?

that should work just fine I tend to stay with amazon basics or monoprice cables. how do you like the sound?

20 minutes ago, rice guru said:

that should work just fine I tend to stay with amazon basics or monoprice cables. how do you like the sound?

Sounds great, even though the amp hasn't come yet :) My mobo is able to handle the 250 ohms pretty well, actually. Once they're broken in, they'll be 10/10, right now, 9/10 :) 

Thx for recommendations too!

Be happy for yourself.

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Wolfgang393 said:

Sounds great, even though the amp hasn't come yet :) My mobo is able to handle the 250 ohms pretty well, actually. Once they're broken in, they'll be 10/10, right now, 9/10 :) 

Thx for recommendations too!

thats great. after getting the amp if you don't htink it's worth it you can always return it. but also if the amp is setr on low gain it might not be enough to power it  here are the instructions to get it to high gain

here is the 

but also if the amp is setr on low gain it might not be enough to power it  here are the instructions to get it to high gain

Ok, that might make more sense when I get the amp :P

thats great. after getting the amp if you don't htink it's worth it you can always return it.

Yeah, I'm open to it, however, I'm hoping the amp will just make it a little more... functional? Idk, but I hear what you're saying :)

Be happy for yourself.

Spoiler

Ok, that might make more sense when I get the amp :P

Yeah, I'm open to it, however, I'm hoping the amp will just make it a little more... functional? Idk, but I hear what you're saying :)

the main differences I find from an amp or dac upgrade is cleanliness and how loud I can get them but new motherboards have gotten so good that they are becomming less and less neccesary. but when I upgraded from amp dac to separate amp and dac I found that bass response gor tighter and better and in general everything just sounded more controlled but thats just me.  that was from a fiio e10k to a monoprice liquid spark and topping d10.  

the main differences I find from an amp or dac upgrade is cleanliness and how loud I can get them

This is what I want. The sounds seem kinda lower quality rn on the motherboard. Or less like dynamics I guess you could say. So I'm hoping for more cleanliness and tighter bass like you said :) 

Be happy for yourself.

Spoiler