ATI Mobility Radeon HD5470 4K Resolution Question

geokilla

Officially, the ATI Mobility Radeon HD5470 does not support 4K resolution. However is there a way to use CRU to make the graphics card output 4K30 so I can play 4K content on my TV? I tried creating a custom resolution using CRU but it doesn't work. The GPU is being used in a Acer 3820TG-7945 laptop which is very old, but still very powerful for my use so I don't want to buy a new laptop if I don't need to.

Thanks.

Intel Core i5-10600KF @ 4.9Ghz @ 1.25V

MSI Z490 Gaming Edge Wi-Fi BIOS v17

XPG D50 32GB DDR4-3200 16-19-9-36 2T (Samsung M-Die)

XPG S11 Pro 1TB and Western Digital WD140EDFZ 14TB

ASUS TUF RTX 3070 OC

Corsair RM650x

Phantek P360A with Noctua Exhaust Fans

Assuming you're at hdmi 1.3 or newer, the other limitation is likely to be your driver. Laptop manufacturers weren't exactly stellar when it came to providing updates, and the reference mobile driver seldom worked.

Is there a reason to want to use 4K, even at the pretty brutal refresh rate sacrifice? Almost certain you're not gaming on this thing at 4K. Further, the Radeon 5450 won't accelerate even h.264 4K video, let alone newer standards, and even a quad core Lynnfield i7 is unlikely to have enough power to decode 4k content either, nevermind the dual core Arrandale i5.

Should see if you could swing 2560 x 1440 if you really need the resolution. The HDMI version should properly support it at 60 hz, and is common enough that even an old driver may support it.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

Unlikely the version of HDMI on that generation of GPU did not support 4k. the 5000 series as a whole only supported 2560x1600 max.

That said while looking I found http://viewfinderdesign.co.uk/archive/757/running-a-4k-screen-using-a-radeon-hd-5450/ it mentions using CRU and a driver patcher to get it to run at 4k/30. but I am not certain it will work with what ever the most modern drivers are. if your dead set on trying and it fails on newer drivers I would roll back to some drivers from before the date that was posted. Good Luck.

System CPU : Ryzen 9 5950 doing whatever PBO lets it. Motherboard : Asus B550 Wifi II RAM 80GB 3600 CL 18 2x 32GB 2x 8GB GPUs Vega 56 & Tesla M40 Corsair 4000D Storage: many and varied small (512GB-1TB) SSD + 5TB WD Green PSU 1000W EVGA GOLD

You can trust me, I'm from the Internet.

I started connecting my laptop to the TV as our old one (Core 2 Duo based) bit the dust and I noticed it's struggling to smoothly stream Twitch 1080P60 and anime in 1080P. I figured since it's significantly more powerful, it should be able to stream 1080P content just fine, but nope. I think the laptop is starting to overheat and throttle, which isn't surprising given the age of the laptop. I didn't check the temperatures using CoreTemp yet but the fan does ramp up fairly quickly and the laptop is pretty hot to the touch. I contacted Canada Computers and they quoted $80 to replace the thermal pads with thermal paste for the CPU and GPU, and to clean the fans as well. So if there's a way to run 4K30, then that $80 is worth spending as it means I'll be able to get another couple years out of the laptop. If not, maybe I should save my money and just go buy a new one instead when I find a deal.

I don't think my Vizio P55-F1 supports 2560 X 1440 resolution? I never thought of trying that resolution til you mentioned it.

ASUS TUF RTX 3070 OC

Corsair RM650x

Looks like my CPU hits 90C streaming Twitch 1080P60 according to Core Temp. Today isn't even a hot day in Toronto either. CPU usage was at least 80% so I guess it'll have difficulty streaming 1440P, let alone 4K?

ASUS TUF RTX 3070 OC

Corsair RM650x

Outputting a higher resolution will do little for the source media if they're below your output resolution. 1080P content still gets upscaled to fit your display. So you lose nothing by running your output at 1080P.

The temps on the laptop are to be expected if it's never seen a cleaning or air duster in it's lifetime. It does not take much to clog up the small heat sinks on laptops. Take a can of airduster to the vents and give it a try. $80 could be better spent elsewhere (like a used business optiplex, as it will be cheaper and likely do the job better.)

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…