Which CPU should I buy?

swi

I am looking to build a PC for editing 2160p60 content in Hitfilm. Should I get an Intel Core i7 or i9? Anything Helps, thanks!

Budget? Location? Do you have some parts already or are you building from scratch?

I would highly suggest waiting until July to see what the new Ryzen brings.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

New ryzen arriving 7/7, wait for those.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

3 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Budget? Location? Do you have some parts already or are you building from scratch?

I would highly suggest waiting until July to see what the new Ryzen brings.

I don't care how much I need to spend... Just want a good Intel processor...

1 minute ago, swi said:

Why do you have to have Intel?

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 minute ago, Lurick said:

Why do you have to have Intel?

Maybe QuickSync? I'd still wait to see how Ryzen 3700X/3800X/3900X perform.

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X Cooler: Corsair H100i Platinum SE Mobo: Asus B550-A GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 XC RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200MHz 16CL 4x8GB (DDR4) SSD0: Crucial MX300 525GB SSD1: Samsung QVO 1TB PSU: NZXT C650 Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Monitor: Asus VG259QM (240Hz)

I usually edit my posts immediately after posting them, as I don't check for typos before pressing the shiny SUBMIT button.

Unraid Server

CPU: Ryzen 5 7600 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Mobo: Asus B650E-i RAM: Kingston Server Premier ECC 2x32GB (DDR5) SSD: Samsung 980 2x1TB HDD: Toshiba MG09 1x18TB; Toshiba MG08 2x16TB HDD Controller: LSI 9207-8i PSUCorsair SF750 Case: Node 304

Wait for ryzen 3000 series comes out and Intel will likely price cut their cpus so no matter who you buy from you will benefit by waiting. 

58 minutes ago, swi said:

Wait for the new Ryzen chips to see independent benchmarks. They're coming out 7/7 and currently the benchmarks shown from Computex show they perform better than i9s

10 hours ago, swi said:

What will the use be?

Gaming? Workload?

On 6/28/2019 at 7:50 PM, swi said:

in Hitfilm

What's that?

On 6/28/2019 at 8:55 PM, celerystruct said:

currently the benchmarks shown from Computex show they perform better than i9s

That's not accurate.  The benchmarks, from AMD, show they perform well.  AMD wouldn't pick and choose software or benchmarks where Intel would do well.  Benchmarks only compare how a CPU performed in that specific benchmark.  See what runs the software you use better and then look at prices for the entire computer and then see which one does it for you. 

21 hours ago, swi said:

I am looking to build a PC for editing 2160p60 content in Hitfilm. Should I get an Intel Core i7 or i9? Anything Helps, thanks!

21 hours ago, swi said:

It would be prudent to wait for the independent reviews of the new Ryzen cpu. But if you are committed to Intel then the i9-9900K would be your best option.

If this system is for professional use, consider something like the following.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel - Core i9-9900K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($474.99 @ Walmart) 
CPU Cooler: be quiet! - Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler  ($88.09 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Supermicro - MBD-C9Z390-CGW-O ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($287.99 @ Newegg Business) 
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($139.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Samsung - 970 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($297.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Samsung - 860 Pro 4 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($947.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB Black Video Card  ($1098.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Case: Fractal Design - Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  ($151.98 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Corsair - RMx (2018) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($109.99 @ Newegg Business) 
Total: $3598.00
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-06-29 11:54 EDT-0400

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

I will state the obvious: The i9 is better, but for most people an i7 makes sense because it is cheaper. If it is in your budget, get an i9. Just make sure you get a monster cooler. Ryzen is a good decision too especially due to the price, but if you want intel, go intel.

12 hours ago, BobbyPdue said:

That's not accurate.  The benchmarks, from AMD, show they perform well.  AMD wouldn't pick and choose software or benchmarks where Intel would do well.  Benchmarks only compare how a CPU run in that benchmark.  See what runs the software you use better and then look at prices for the entire computer and then see which one does it for you. 

Agreed. They showed victories in Cinebench and claimed victory in cluster computing. (Both areas that even first gen Ryzen already either win or give Intel a run for their money.) And used very specific use cases in gaming, which were titles that already prefer AMD GPUs for their Navi demonstration. 

A clear victory will be seeing what Steve is able to push with these things when GN gets their hands on them.

6 hours ago, iKingRPG said:

I will state the obvious: The i9 is better, but for most people an i7 makes sense because it is cheaper. If it is in your budget, get an i9. Just make sure you get a monster cooler. Ryzen is a good decision too especially due to the price, but if you want intel, go intel.

It does also make sense to wait for the upcoming ~15% price drops that Intel announced recently :) 

But really in gaming... The i9 is hardly an improvement over the 9700K. But if you wanna blow it out and just grab the heavy boi, then grab it.

Awesome! I think Ryzen overall would be better! Thank you all!

On 6/29/2019 at 5:55 PM, brob said:

CPU: Intel - Core i9-9900K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($474.99 @ Walmart) 

That's the lowest price I've seen on a 9900k!  Not too shabby.  

On 7/2/2019 at 4:10 AM, swi said:

Awesome! I think Ryzen overall would be better! Thank you all!

Buy on objective data and not how you feel about it.