Linus Video Suggestion: Hackintosh!

besweeet

Nowadays, hackintoshing has never been easier or so compatible with the latest and greatest hardware.

With that being said, I think that it would be interesting to see Linus make a dedicated build for Mac OS X. The only way I'd see there being any problems would be if the sponsors got mad, but seeing how Newegg did one, I don't think that that would be much of a problem.

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X, RAM: 16GB (2x8GB) XPG GAMMIX D30 DDR4 3600MHz, MOBO: ASRock X570M, GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 2070 SUPER (Corsair H100x cooling), SSD 1: Corsair Force MP510 240GB, SSD 2: Patriot VPN100 1TB, OS: Windows 10 Professional x64, CASE: Open air test bench

Waste of bandwidth, any mobo or case on the planet would be better than a Hack-in-crap video.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

I believe Newegg and Techoftomorrow already did a video on this.

Personally I'd rather not, it's not that hard to setup. You just research it a bit more and find out which components will work 100% and just Google your way through with everything else(which is pretty straightforward as it will be the same as installing Windows).

Nowadays, hackintoshing has never been easier or so compatible with the latest and greatest hardware

It's only really compatible with like 1 current gen gigabyte motherboard :P 

Feels like a bit of a waist of time to me :/ considering it's just building a normal computer but with different software installation that anybody can handle. 

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

The fact that it's also illegal would pose a problem.  Since Linus runs his own company of like 3 people now it could be dangerous to do so.  I'm surprised Newegg did a video on it since the people on Eggxpert refuse to advise on the topic.

It's only really compatible with like 1 current gen gigabyte motherboard  :P

Feels like a bit of a waist of time to me :/ considering it's just building a normal computer but with different software installation that anybody can handle. 

Huh? Practically any piece of modern hardware from when the P4 was released is generally compatible with Mac OS X.

The fact that it's also illegal would pose a problem.  Since Linus runs his own company of like 3 people now it could be dangerous to do so.  I'm surprised Newegg did a video on it since the people on Eggxpert refuse to advise on the topic.

Well, if it was as illegal as people are thinking, websites like InsanelyMac and tonymacx86 would be shut down, and Apple would submit copyright claims for any YouTube video talking about it. Therefore, they don't care, nor should they.

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X, RAM: 16GB (2x8GB) XPG GAMMIX D30 DDR4 3600MHz, MOBO: ASRock X570M, GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 2070 SUPER (Corsair H100x cooling), SSD 1: Corsair Force MP510 240GB, SSD 2: Patriot VPN100 1TB, OS: Windows 10 Professional x64, CASE: Open air test bench

Waste of bandwidth, any mobo or case on the planet would be better than a Hack-in-crap video.

Oh shut your ignorant face, Mac OS is a great OS and showing people how they can access it for a lower cost is always going to be relevant. Also, any recent hardware will work with it, so your info is not only bad but outdated.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Oh shut your ignorant face, Mac OS is a great OS and showing people how they can access it for a lower cost is always going to be relevant. Also, any recent hardware will work with it, so your info is not only bad but outdated.

Can you disable mouse acceleration on Mac os? I heard you can't so I've been reluctant to use it as an everyday os :P

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

Way to go. :) As for the mouse acceleration Bradscoolio I don't know, I'm sure someone has developed a solution for it if you do in fact find it to be a problem. I use my Mac every day with the touchpad which I find to work perfectly, just spot on, something I'm yet to see anywhere else, however when I do plug in a mouse the acceleration is quite noticeable. I don't play anything but WoW on a very rare occasion on it though so it's not a big deal to me, I have my gaming rig for that sort of stuff.

If you are however considering moving away from Windows I suggest you give Linux a try. You should be more than comfortable in any of the big distributions (like Ubuntu or Mint) and will eventually find your way to the oh-so-great Arch Linux. Just note that only very few of your games will be to find on anything but Windows.

Please try to keep the discussion positive. Lots of people care about Hackintoshes and we've committed in the past to do one at some point, but we've just been super busy.

That goes for you too, That Norwegian Guy. I don't want to see name-calling being slung around here... :(

I know, flamebait has a tendency to bait me :( Sorry.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

If you buy software you can pirate it to your hearts content if you like, afaik.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

Honestly, I am a APPLE hater, that being Apple as a company and how they like to skim by on cheap internals and charge a premium price for it, but Hackintoshes I'm really into. I like OSX for cretin things. For my job, all we use is iMac's, I built a Hackintosh about three years ago and upgraded that rig to a 3770k this past year, just so I could do some of my work at home. I think it is a really cool idea to make a tutorial on how to make a Hackintoshes, you never know when you will actually need to use OSX. I have worked for the company I work for, for 6 years now, 3 years ago the company decided to switch to Apple iMac's. when I got my promotion and my own office, I knew right then an there I was going to have to force my self to learn OSX to a "T", I refuse to go Apple all the way but Hackintoshes are great and are faster then a Mac pro if using the right internals.

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

Please try to keep the discussion positive. Lots of people care about Hackintoshes and we've committed in the past to do one at some point, but we've just been super busy.

That goes for you too, That Norwegian Guy. I don't want to see name-calling being slung around here... :(

Darn. Hopefully some time could be found sometime.

I'm shocked that people can't act mature on an Internet message board by calling people and various things naughty names. /s