System malfunctions and isn't stable.

Hello everyone,

I told myself to refrain from asking a forum for help, mostly because I feel like I'm being kind of an annoyance and this is probably a very easy fix which I shamefully can't find.

I'll give some back story to how I came here:
Finally got around to building my own desktop PC, with the following specs:
Asrock B450M Pro
AMD Ryzen 5 1600
Asus RX570 OC
SeaGate Baracuda 1 TB
Team L5 Lite 3D 240GB
Corsair Vengeance 8 gb ddr4 3000mhz
Corsair CX450M

Inter-Tech B42 (shitty case, I know).

I was so happy when I finally got around to building the PC... Even happier that it posted the first time!!
I felt like a king, I had build my first PC all by myself and it was working amazing.

This went on for a week, the PC didn't malfunction in any way whatsoever. There were no signs of bad components or anything.

Until...

Yesterday morning, I started up my PC, nothing out of the ordinary..
Suddenly my internet went out, which was weird because all other systems connected to the same router still had internet. Whilst this was confusing me I noticed that I could not move my mouse! My system froze up on me. for no apparent reason whatsoever.

I thought, this might be some kind of hiccup, I'll let the pc work it out and I'll be patient.
After 5 minutes, it was still as frozen.. I decided to forcefully shutdown the PC by holding the power button. After this... my PC never was the same again.

I tried to reboot the systeem but the system didn't seem to post, I atleast wasn't getting any videosignal whatsoever...

This confused me a lot.. my system was working fine for a whole week? what could have gone wrong?

What I tried to fix my computer so far:

- Boot without GPU connecting the monitor to my motherboard
result:
nothing... apparently my CPU doesn't have internal graphics.. ?

- Remove CMOS Battery to reset BIOS
result:
The system seems to somewhat work for a minute after this, sadly.. after that minute the system crashes once again and doesn't post unless I reset the BIOS again...

- Put the single RAM stick that I have in the second slot because apparently Ryzen likes that better.
result:
Doesn't really change a whole lot.

- Use VFX to select the higher Ghz preset for my RAM
Result:
System is even more unstable and blue screens.

- Remove all other peripherals except for keyboard
Result:
nothing noticeable.

After all these attempts, I noticed my BIOS was very outdated! Aha! This might be the solution to my problem!

Sadly enough, this didn't fix all of my problems.

I now can consistently get into Windows but only for a limited amount of time. It doesn't take long (10 minutes max) before programs start becoming unresponsive. After that the PC freezes and doesn't do anything anymore..

I tried to restore WIndows back to a restore point where there were no errors whatsoever. This didn't seem to change anything.

I also looked into the health of my drives but CrystalDiskInfo states that both drives their health is "Good".

Now I'm out of options...
I'm really not sure what to do.. does anyone have any suggestions? ?

Check temperature, if temp ok try run Memtest.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

2 minutes ago, Heulen said:

I now can consistently get into Windows but only for a limited amount of time. It doesn't take long (10 minutes max) before programs start becoming unresponsive. After that the PC freezes and doesn't do anything anymore..

What is the CPU temperature? You can use monitoring programs like HWinfo64 to check your CPU temps amongst other things.

Does Task Manager show any programs using high CPU usage?

3 minutes ago, Heulen said:

- Boot without GPU connecting the monitor to my motherboard
result:
nothing... apparently my CPU doesn't have internal graphics.. ?

Correct - The Ryzen 5 1600 does not have integrated graphics. The display outputs on the back of the motherboard will only function when paired with a CPU which has integrated graphics. You will need to use a dedicated graphics card with your Ryzen 1600.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

10 minutes ago, Heulen said:

Many things..

Check if memory is located in slot a2 + b2 (marked with yellow in pic) - then clear cmos (take out battery for 2-5 min) in the meantime check if all power cables is properly inserted and fully "clicked" in. Turn on PC.

When loading bios the first time load optimized defaults (usually F5), then press F10 and save.

If this dosen't work, then I would try pulling out the HDD -  Then if that dosen't work, make a ubuntu or similar USB and boot without SSD - yea I know right, just had a similar issue myself, was a bad SSD, pc wouldn't boot. I would try with another PSU if above fails.

ryzenhelp.jpg

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

10 minutes ago, Heulen said:

After all these attempts, I noticed my BIOS was very outdated! Aha! This might be the solution to my problem!

Sadly enough, this didn't fix all of my problems.

did you flash your bios

23 minutes ago, Heulen said:

Yesterday morning, I started up my PC, nothing out of the ordinary..
Suddenly my internet went out, which was weird because all other systems connected to the same router still had internet. Whilst this was confusing me I noticed that I could not move my mouse! My system froze up on me. for no apparent reason whatsoever.

I thought, this might be some kind of hiccup, I'll let the pc work it out and I'll be patient.
After 5 minutes, it was still as frozen.. I decided to forcefully shutdown the PC by holding the power button. After this... my PC never was the same again.

I tried to reboot the systeem but the system didn't seem to post, I atleast wasn't getting any videosignal whatsoever...

This is trademark CPU cooling/power issue. You probably forgot to do what is known as a "burn-in" test.

A burn-in test is where you run the system at maximum performance for like an hour to see if it fails. If it fails, then something has not been done properly. The most likely culprit here is the TIM/heatsink thermal paste or the cooler itself's mount. Usually if a system can't POST, the motherboard will beep and give you a reason. If it's not doing that, then it's probably getting further, but not far enough to initialize the video card.

When a system hard freezes, that is likely the CPU thermal diode telling the cpu to halt. In pre-UEFI systems, you'd just see the system turn off when it hits this point. In later systems, it just intentionally freezes. If it was a RAM failure you'd have seen a BSOD instead.

The thing I'd do first is pull all the PCIe cards out, pull the motherboard out, and place it on an electrically insulated surface (a glass kitchen chopping board, or even just a sheet of cardboard will do), make sure the CPU and RAM are installed correctly, the heatsink is properly mounted, and the cpu fan plugged in. connect only the PSU and Video card, and power it on.

If it POSTS, run a burn-in test of any sort using a USB drive and make sure it works before putting it back in the chassis. Something that sometimes people mess up is when they put the MB into the chassis, is they will not have the stand-offs in the right place and could potentially short or warp the MB. If you've properly installed the MB, it should not flex when you plug in the PCIe cards.

3 minutes ago, Kisai said:

This is trademark CPU cooling/power issue. You probably forgot to do what is known as a "burn-in" test.

A burn-in test is where you run the system at maximum performance for like an hour to see if it fails. If it fails, then something has not been done properly. The most likely culprit here is the TIM/heatsink thermal paste or the cooler itself's mount. Usually if a system can't POST, the motherboard will beep and give you a reason. If it's not doing that, then it's probably getting further, but not far enough to initialize the video card.

When a system hard freezes, that is likely the CPU thermal diode telling the cpu to halt. In pre-UEFI systems, you'd just see the system turn off when it hits this point. In later systems, it just intentionally freezes. If it was a RAM failure you'd have seen a BSOD instead.

The thing I'd do first is pull all the PCIe cards out, pull the motherboard out, and place it on an electrically insulated surface (a glass kitchen chopping board, or even just a sheet of cardboard will do), make sure the CPU and RAM are installed correctly, the heatsink is properly mounted, and the cpu fan plugged in. connect only the PSU and Video card, and power it on.

If it POSTS, run a burn-in test of any sort using a USB drive and make sure it works before putting it back in the chassis. Something that sometimes people mess up is when they put the MB into the chassis, is they will not have the stand-offs in the right place and could potentially short or warp the MB. If you've properly installed the MB, it should not flex when you plug in the PCIe cards.

This check temps - Download HWinfo64 - https://www.fosshub.com/HWiNFO.html -   but if it was thermal throttling it would shutdown.

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

I would start with checking all cables - 24 pin and 8 pin especially. My friend has similar issues because he think that he plug them proper, but after a week his computer starts freezing, because 24 pin was not plug to the max and unplug itself (just a little, but that was enough).

1 hour ago, Spotty said:

What is the CPU temperature? You can use monitoring programs like HWinfo64 to check your CPU temps amongst other things.

Does Task Manager show any programs using high CPU usage?

It's just normal, nothing out of the ordinary,

First thing I checked was Task Manager, cpu is only getting used for 10% approx..

IF it swould've been a temperature problem, why wouldn't until after a week of perfect use?

1 hour ago, Derrk said:

did you flash your bios

I did, it is now on the most current version.

1 hour ago, DoctorNick said:

Check if memory is located in slot a2 + b2 (marked with yellow in pic) - then clear cmos (take out battery for 2-5 min) in the meantime check if all power cables is properly inserted and fully "clicked" in. Turn on PC.

When loading bios the first time load optimized defaults (usually F5), then press F10 and save.

If this dosen't work, then I would try pulling out the HDD -  Then if that dosen't work, make a ubuntu or similar USB and boot without SSD - yea I know right, just had a similar issue myself, was a bad SSD, pc wouldn't boot. I would try with another PSU if above fails.

ryzenhelp.jpg

I only have one memory module and it's in the second memory slot from the CPU which would be A2.

1 hour ago, Kisai said:

haven't done a burn-in test but it has run for 8 hours straight before.

I do also sometimes see BSOD's.

my motherboard does not warp.

I just don't think it can be temperature issues, the computer has worked fine for a full week, also under heavy gaming loads.. no problem whatsoever.

7 minutes ago, Heulen said:

I only have one memory module and it's in the second memory slot from the CPU which would be A2.

All righty then, have you tried the other things?

FS in Denmark/EU:

Just now, DoctorNick said:

All righty then, have you tried the other things?

I'm not sure what you mean with the optimized BIOS thing? Do I press F5 whilstg in the BIOS or..?

1 minute ago, Heulen said:

I'm not sure what you mean with the optimized BIOS thing? Do I press F5 whilstg in the BIOS or..?

yes and did you try without the hdd/sdd?

FS in Denmark/EU:

2 minutes ago, DoctorNick said:

yes and did you try without the hdd/sdd?

It doesn't do anything... Do icperhaps enable 'Secure boot'? or is that not it?

Shouldn't do anything but you can try it. I would try with another psu..Can you borrow one or something?

FS in Denmark/EU:

Just now, DoctorNick said:

Shouldn't do anything but you can try it. I would try with another psu..Can you borrow one or something?

No not currently.. 

You think the PSU just suddenly broke down after a week?

I don't know. You have to try. Could also be some sort of driver issue.. Try reinstalling chipset and gfx drivers - uninstall with DDU

FS in Denmark/EU:

On 6/26/2019 at 4:10 AM, Heulen said:

haven't done a burn-in test but it has run for 8 hours straight before.

I do also sometimes see BSOD's.

my motherboard does not warp.

I just don't think it can be temperature issues, the computer has worked fine for a full week, also under heavy gaming loads.. no problem whatsoever.

If you are seeing BSOD's, then it's far more likely the system RAM timings.  With RAM, what happens is that when the system boots, the RAM is in sync and at a stable temperature. As time goes on, bad timings eventually cause errors. As the temperature rises, the errors increase.

I've had an older system work fine for hours/days and then be utterly unable to stay in windows for more than minutes, and the only solution in that case was to buy RAM with different timings that were more in line with the bus speed. For the CPU you have you should be using 2666. You're using 3000, so check the BIOS memory timings to see if it's running at 2666 or 3000. I once ordered memory that was too fast for a laptop (DDR2 era) and it would just start generating errors minutes after POST. YMMV, check the BIOS timings.

It's not terribly likely the RAM itself is bad, but you're better off with dual-channel (2 x 8 or 2x16) as a set than individual modules to avoid timing issues from modules from different batches.