What do you use your raspberry pi’s for?

Bilman66
On 6/26/2019 at 1:56 AM, The 2009 MacBook gamer said:

I use mine for Retro pi and a desktop

1)Pi 3b running Magic mirror

2)Pi zero connected to an old web camera running MotionOS for monitoring our garage - have it set up to upload images and video to my PC as it detects movement

3)Pi zero used solely for retropi (nes, snes and genesis) in my gaming room/office ?

Last year, I created a Halloween and then a Christmas light show for work with one of the pi zero's, using 'pilightshow' (picture below) It is connected to a 8 channel relay which control each of the 8 outlets and a cheap USB sound card for the sound output. For Christmas, we all decorated our cubicles with LED lights and the lights 'danced' to the Christmas songs being played - It was a difficult (for me at least) but fun little project!

I'm still a pi novice (very little Linux or python experience) and struggle to find useful projects for them but they are fun to tinker around with!

image.png.b95f5b9dbfdfdcd918ffdfbdf2322e4d.png

I have 1 Pi 3 B+ running openvpn to access my network when not at home and pihole which I placed in my router for entire network ad blocking and a second one will run hass.io when I get around to setting it up

My daily driver: The Wrath of Red: OS Windows 10 home edition / CPU Ryzen TR4 1950x 3.85GHz / Cooler Master MasterAir MA621P Twin-Tower RGB CPU Air Cooler / PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 750watt / ASRock x399 Taichi / Gskill Flare X 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz / HP 10GB Single Port Mellanox Connectx-2 PCI-E 10GBe NIC / Samsung 512GB 970 pro M.2 / ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 STRIX 8GB / Acer - H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor x3

My technology Rig: The wizard: OS Windows 10 home edition / CPU Ryzen R7 1800x 3.95MHz / Corsair H110i / PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 750watt / ASUS CH 6 / Gskill Flare X 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz / HP 10GB Single Port Mellanox Connectx-2 PCI-E 10GBe NIC / 512GB 960 pro M.2 / ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 STRIX 8GB / Acer - H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor HP Monitor

My I don't use RigOS Windows 10 home edition / CPU Ryzen 1600x 3.85GHz / Cooler Master MasterAir MA620P Twin-Tower RGB CPU Air Cooler / PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 750watt / MSI x370 Gaming Pro Carbon / Gskill Flare X 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz / Samsung PM961 256GB M.2 PCIe Internal SSDEVGA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti SSC GAMING / Acer - H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor

My NAS: The storage miser: OS unRAID v. 6.9.0-beta25 / CPU Intel i7 6700 / Cooler Master MasterWatt Lite 500 Watt 80 Plus / ASUS Maximus viii Hero / 32GB Gskill RipJaw DDR4 3200Mhz / HP Mellanox ConnectX-2 10 GbE PCI-e G2 Dual SFP+ Ported Ethernet HCA NIC / 9 Drives total 29TB - 1 4TB seagate parity - 7 4TB WD Red data - 1 1TB laptop drive data - and 2 240GB Sandisk SSD's cache / Headless

Why did I buy this server: OS unRAID v. 6.9.0-beta25 / Dell R710 enterprise server with dual xeon E5530 / 48GB ecc ddr3 / Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA w/ LSI 9211-8i P20 IT / 4 450GB sas drives / headless

Just another server: OS Proxmox VE / Dell poweredge R410

One runs open VPN (To get through my schools content filtering, they filter out Reddit and this forum so thus why I need it) the other is hooked up to my TV as a chromecast / emulation box.

On 7/26/2019 at 8:27 AM, steelo said:

1)Pi 3b running Magic mirror

2)Pi zero connected to an old web camera running MotionOS for monitoring our garage - have it set up to upload images and video to my PC as it detects movement

3)Pi zero used solely for retropi (nes, snes and genesis) in my gaming room/office ?

Last year, I created a Halloween and then a Christmas light show for work with one of the pi zero's, using 'pilightshow' (picture below) It is connected to a 8 channel relay which control each of the 8 outlets and a cheap USB sound card for the sound output. For Christmas, we all decorated our cubicles with LED lights and the lights 'danced' to the Christmas songs being played - It was a difficult (for me at least) but fun little project!

I'm still a pi novice (very little Linux or python experience) and struggle to find useful projects for them but they are fun to tinker around with!

-image-

What quality are you running the motionOS pi zero at? I can't get my rPi3b to run decent framerates at all and it's bewildering to me. Local recording or Fast network mode (or whatever the streaming mode got renamed to) both can't hold 1280x1024@15FPS. Framerate drops to less then one frame per second for large segments of video.

Fine you want the PSU tier list? Have the PSU tier list: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40-rev-103/

Stille (Desktop)

Ryzen 9 3900XT@4.5Ghz - Cryorig H7 Ultimate - 16GB Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz- MSI RTX 3080 Ti Ventus 3x OC - SanDisk Plus 480GB - Crucial MX500 500GB - Intel 660P 1TB SSD - (2x) WD Red 2TB - EVGA G3 650w - Corsair 760T

Evoo Gaming 15"
i7-9750H - 16GB DDR4 - GTX 1660Ti - 480GB SSD M.2 - 1TB 2.5" BX500 SSD 

VM + NAS Server (ProxMox 6.3)

1x Xeon E5-2690 v2  - 92GB ECC DDR3 - Quadro 4000 - Dell H310 HBA (Flashed with IT firmware) -500GB Crucial MX500 (Proxmox Host) Kingston 128GB SSD (FreeNAS dev/ID passthrough) - 8x4TB Toshiba N300 HDD

Toys: Ender 3 Pro, Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Quest 2, about half a dozen raspberry Pis (2b to 4), Arduino Uno, Arduino Mega, Arduino nano (x3), Arduino nano pro, Atomic Pi. 

1 hour ago, BrinkGG said:

What quality are you running the motionOS pi zero at? I can't get my rPi3b to run decent framerates at all and it's bewildering to me. Local recording or Fast network mode (or whatever the streaming mode got renamed to) both can't hold 1280x1024@15FPS. Framerate drops to less then one frame per second for large segments of video.

'm getting 4-5 fps with pretty low resolution video settings @ 176x144 or something similar. One thing I noticed with MotionOS (at least with the pi zero) is that I had to play with the overclock settings to get the CPU to run at 1ghz...otherwise, it ran at 700 mhz by default and was recording at maybe 1-2 fps. I have used motionOS with a pi3 and don't recall having frame rate issues. You could try dialing back the resolution settings a little bit just to see if that helps. Right now, It's set to take photos at 100% but record videos at 50% quality

I have used motionOS with a pi3 awhile back and don't recall having frame rate issues, I wasn't expecting movie quality recording though but it wasn't bad for surveillance purposes. You could try dialing back the resolution settings a little bit at a time just to see if that helps. IMO, 1280x1024 @ 100% quality may just be too much for the ARM CPU to handle.

Have you enabled system monitoring on yours? It lets you see the CPU load, temperature and streaming rate. It should give you an idea of whether the CPU is just too overloaded to maintain a decent frame rate with your current settings. 

3 minutes ago, steelo said:

I'm getting 4-5 fps with pretty low resolution video settings @ 176x144 or something similar. One thing I noticed with MotionOS (at least with the pi zero) is that I had to play with the overclock settings to get the CPU to run at 1ghz...otherwise, it ran at 700 mhz by default and was recording at maybe 1-2 fps. I have used motionOS with a pi3 and don't recall having frame rate issues. You could try dialing back the resolution settings a little bit just to see if that helps. Right now, It's set to take photos at 100% but record videos at 50% quality

That seems like a uselessly low resolution to me but good information to have nonetheless. Yea the Rpi3 was running at the stock 1.4Ghz, but get's very hot at that speed and I assumed that would be plenty for just video streaming... 

Gonna try some rPi4b boards and see what the quality looks like later today. My goal is to replace an Arlo Pro system with these, so 720p15hz is the minimum I want from them. And from the video LTT made on it, they had an rPi ZeroW recording at 720p10 without stuttering and I still can't get mine to replicate that. 

Fine you want the PSU tier list? Have the PSU tier list: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40-rev-103/

Stille (Desktop)

Ryzen 9 3900XT@4.5Ghz - Cryorig H7 Ultimate - 16GB Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz- MSI RTX 3080 Ti Ventus 3x OC - SanDisk Plus 480GB - Crucial MX500 500GB - Intel 660P 1TB SSD - (2x) WD Red 2TB - EVGA G3 650w - Corsair 760T

Evoo Gaming 15"

1x Xeon E5-2690 v2  - 92GB ECC DDR3 - Quadro 4000 - Dell H310 HBA (Flashed with IT firmware) -500GB Crucial MX500 (Proxmox Host) Kingston 128GB SSD (FreeNAS dev/ID passthrough) - 8x4TB Toshiba N300 HDD

Toys: Ender 3 Pro, Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Quest 2, about half a dozen raspberry Pis (2b to 4), Arduino Uno, Arduino Mega, Arduino nano (x3), Arduino nano pro, Atomic Pi. 

1 hour ago, BrinkGG said:

That seems like a uselessly low resolution to me but good information to have nonetheless. Yea the Rpi3 was running at the stock 1.4Ghz, but get's very hot at that speed and I assumed that would be plenty for just video streaming... 

Gonna try some rPi4b boards and see what the quality looks like later today. My goal is to replace an Arlo Pro system with these, so 720p15hz is the minimum I want from them. And from the video LTT made on it, they had an rPi ZeroW recording at 720p10 without stuttering and I still can't get mine to replicate that. 

Oh, I didn't know LTT had a pi zero video...I'll definitely have to check that out!

Surprisingly, the video looks better than 99% of the 'security camera' footage you see on the news...LOL. Should we ever encounter a break-in, I would rely on the multitude of pictures it snaps ?

I would try enabling system monitoring, if you haven't already to monitor your CPU load and streaming rate. I know wifi on the pi zero and pi 3 isn't that great (I assume you're doing this wirelessly)...it could be as simple as a poor connection.

I'll play with my set up a little tonight to see how 720p streaming looks and get back to you. I set it up last weekend and really was more concerned with how it recorded than how it streamed live video. You also have 3 more cores than I do...If LTT was able to do it on a single core rpi zero, I don't see why you wouldn't be able to achieve at least 10 fps with a quad core rpi3

After playing around with streaming settings, I was able to achieve between 8-10 fps @ 720p with my rpi zero.

1 minute ago, steelo said:

FYI...I found this on another thread: 

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1062217-which-rasberry-pi-to-buy/?tab=comments#comment-12550934

"3 runs hot, 3b is not as bad. Especially with the new heat spreader, but I still buy it since mine are usually running overclocked. (Using them for MotionEyeOS, 720p48fps)"

Yes I did indeed say that. That was when I first set it up and the preview window was running at 720p48.

After it ran for about 2 weeks I checked recordings and the framerate was fluctuating wildly and was not usable. First 1.5 seconds or so would run at 48, then it would drop to 1 or 2 frames per second. I've posted on the Gihub for MotionEyeOS before about low framerate when streaming video to a server, and I thought I'd resolved it when I had it streaming to a windows system running BlueIris. Turns out that wasn't true. :/ 

1 hour ago, steelo said:

Oh, I didn't know LTT had a pi zero video...I'll definitely have to check that out!

Surprisingly, the video looks better than 99% of the 'security camera' footage you see on the news...LOL. Should we ever encounter a break-in, I would rely on the multitude of pictures it snaps ?

I would try enabling system monitoring, if you haven't already to monitor your CPU load and streaming rate. I know wifi on the pi zero and pi 3 isn't that great (I assume you're doing this wirelessly)...it could be as simple as a poor connection.

I'll play with my set up a little tonight to see how 720p streaming looks and get back to you. I set it up last weekend and really was more concerned with how it recorded than how it streamed live video. You also have 3 more cores than I do...If LTT was able to do it on a single core rpi zero, I don't see why you wouldn't be able to achieve at least 10 fps with a quad core rpi3

Here's a link to linus' video: 

And fair enough for the quality, I'm trying to use this to send notifications to my google home when packages are delivered on our front porch (We have a lot of porch thieves around here). 

Not trying to share misinformation, I honestly forgot about that thread and would have posted an update. 

Stille (Desktop)

Evoo Gaming 15"

35 minutes ago, BrinkGG said:

Yes I did indeed say that. That was when I first set it up and the preview window was running at 720p48.

After it ran for about 2 weeks I checked recordings and the framerate was fluctuating wildly and was not usable. First 1.5 seconds or so would run at 48, then it would drop to 1 or 2 frames per second. I've posted on the Gihub for MotionEyeOS before about low framerate when streaming video to a server, and I thought I'd resolved it when I had it streaming to a windows system running BlueIris. Turns out that wasn't true. :/ 

Here's a link to linus' video: 

And fair enough for the quality, I'm trying to use this to send notifications to my google home when packages are delivered on our front porch (We have a lot of porch thieves around here). 

Not trying to share misinformation, I honestly forgot about that thread and would have posted an update. 

LOL. Honestly, I didn't realize it was you until I posted that and then I attempted to remove it (and apparently failed before you saw it)

I wasn't trying to call you out.

9 minutes ago, steelo said:

LOL. Honestly, I didn't realize it was you until I posted that and then I attempted to remove it (and apparently failed)

Wasn't trying to call you out.

No worries. We all make mistakes (as I did with that post) :) 

Stille (Desktop)

Evoo Gaming 15"

Game emulation (RetroPie) and I have a Pi Zero in an half-made google home clone.