Is Temporary use of white 80+ 525w PSU/ new build safe?

azami88

Specs:

i7 8700k + Dark rock 4 

Gtx 970

gigabyte Z370 

16 Gb RAM

Used a Tooq XGE 525w 80+ white PSU for about 3 years with my older build and just updated to the above, still in the way of getting a Seasonic FOCUS+ 750 W Platinum in about 20days, is it safe to use my low rated PSU in the meanwhile if i dont throw intense tasks at it? (precisely wouldn't it cause any damage to the other components?),

PS: also if someone can confirm my choice of the seasonic focus + 750 platinum over EVGA G2 750 and Corsair RM750x ? about the same price

Thanks for any inputs.

If Everything is under warranty go for it. You said you won’t be doing anything intensive so it should be fine. I would make sure it’s plugged into a surge protector though.

Well it's a potato PSU so tehre's no way of knowing if it will cause any damage to your components, but 525W will be enough for that PC.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

25 minutes ago, azami88 said:

also if someone can confirm my choice of the seasonic focus + 750 platinum over EVGA G2 750 and Corsair RM750x ? about the same price

Thanks for any inputs.

1. You dont need a 750 watt PSU. 550 is more than enough 

2. The entire Focus lines from Seasonic has issues with OCP. Id skip it.

3. Pick up an rmx 550 or G2 550watt. Or a Bequiet pure power 11 500watt or TXM from Corsair. 

25 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

1. You dont need a 750 watt PSU. 550 is more than enough 

Im planning to upgrade to a gtx 1080 and eventually more so i need something futureproof

26 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

2. The entire Focus lines from Seasonic has issues with OCP. Id skip it.

3. Pick up an rmx 550 or G2 550watt. Or a Bequiet pure power 11 500watt or TXM from Corsair. 

Will consider that thanks, going for the RM750x i guess, read some not so attractive things about the EVGA G2 series 

7 minutes ago, azami88 said:

Im planning to upgrade to a gtx 1080 and eventually more so i need something futureproof

Will consider that thanks, going for the RM750x i guess, read some not so attractive things about the EVGA G2 series 

Who is the "experts" mentioned in the thread? check jonny's review here - https://www.jonnyguru.com/blog/2015/08/17/evga-supernova-550-g2-power-supply/6/ 

he also reviewed some of the other bigger units. I have used a 750 G2 in my previous build and the build before that for about 2 years and now my brother is using it, so about 3 +  years of use. It runs a 4790k + 780 SLI with no issues whatsoever. 

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

6 minutes ago, DoctorNick said:

Who is the "experts" mentioned in the thread? check jonny's review here - https://www.jonnyguru.com/blog/2015/08/17/evga-supernova-550-g2-power-supply/6/ 

he also reviewed some of the other bigger units. I have used a 750 G2 in my previous build and the build before that for about 2 years and now my brother is using it, so about 3 +  years of use. It runs a 4790k + 780 SLI with no issues whatsoever. 

Yeah the G2 was my first choice until i stumbled onto that, surprises me that its not relevant, will reconsider that

10 minutes ago, azami88 said:

Yeah the G2 was my first choice until i stumbled onto that, surprises me that its not relevant, will reconsider that

The G3 series is also pretty nice and smaller in size. RMA service of EVGA is superior - had another unit in for RMA recently and within 2 weeks I got a new unit, despite that the unit was working flawless - the issue was an old kingston SSD..  But they replaced the unit anyway!

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

1 minute ago, DoctorNick said:

The G3 series is also pretty nice and smaller in size

The G3 has issues and worse quality wise than the G2. Unsure if the G2 issues have been resolved. 

Just now, GoldenLag said:

The G3 has issues and worse quality wise than the G2. Unsure if the G2 issues have been resolved. 

https://www.jonnyguru.com/blog/2016/12/26/evga-supernova-750-g3-power-supply/6/

FS in Denmark/EU:

8 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Unsure if the G2 issues have been resolved. 

12 minutes ago, DoctorNick said:

had another unit in for RMA recently and within 2 weeks I got a new unit

Every PSU seems to have its set of issue pointed out and gotta say its a maze. knowing i wont be able to RMA easily, what is the safest buy out of the G2 / RMx /Bequiet pure power 11 ?

10 minutes ago, azami88 said:

Every PSU seems to have its set of issue pointed out and gotta say its a maze. knowing i wont be able to RMA easily, what is the safest buy out of the G2 / RMx /Bequiet pure power 11 ?

I would buy EVGA any day because of amazing customer service. Haven't experienced many issues with any EVGA PSU and I have worked in a PC hardware store for 4 years. 

FS in Denmark/EU:

38 minutes ago, azami88 said:

RMx is probably the best one, though Bequiet has the quietest one with its better fan

2 hours ago, azami88 said:

You're planning to upgrade to a 180W GPU, so the system will draw ~250-300W. The system will have no problem running on a good 450W PSU. It makes no sense to go for a 750W PSU. 

The RM550x is quieter than the G2, G3 and Focus. Of course, if you want a better recommendation, we would have to know where you actually buy from. 

:)

16 hours ago, seon123 said:

You're planning to upgrade to a 180W GPU, so the system will draw ~250-300W. The system will have no problem running on a good 450W PSU. It makes no sense to go for a 750W PSU. 

The RM550x is quieter than the G2, G3 and Focus. Of course, if you want a better recommendation, we would have to know where you actually buy from. 

buying from amazon.fr, ended up getting an EVGA G2 750w due to the huge recommendation tendency, hope that will be a right choice, thanks everyone who helped!

22 hours ago, Enderman said:

potato PSU

I LOL'd.